My Cat Has No Will To Eat or Drink and Is Very Weak

Old January 14th 04, 02:31 AM
Ian

Default My Cat Has No Will To Eat or Drink and Is Very Weak

Around Christmas my 8 year old persian-tabby cat Amy developed a limp in her
rear right leg, we are not sure what caused it but we believe it was from
trying to jump on top of a high counter. Along with the limp she developed
a certain listlessness. We took her to a vet and he believed it was simply
a soft tissue injury causing her some pain, so we asked him to administer a
shot of painkiller to see if she felt any better to try to elimate any
variables. Under the painkiller most of her limp dissaperared and seemed
alert but once it wore off she became listless and began limping again. The
day after it wore off we took her to the vet to recieve an xray, this xray
gave no results. The vet told us that it is likely a torn ligament and
could heal in a few weeks, he gave her another pain killer and prescribed
some anti-inflamatory drops to relieve the pain. In the following weeks her
appetite has slowly diminished and we have been trying different foods to
try and encourage her (including all the old tricks warm food blah blah
blah), yesterday morning my mother took Amy to a veterinarian who gave her
another shot, prescribed a painkilling medication to bolster the shot's
effects and recommended different foods to try. That afternoon Amy ate
remarkably well, gobbling down food left and right and we gave her a
painkilling pill that night. In the morning she was no longer hungry, in
fact she seemed completely disgusted with food. This afternoon Amy is very
weak, she barely can climb stairs and I am afraid she won't last very much
longer (besides yesterday she barely ate anything on the weekend). Half an
hour ago I had force fed her some water through a plastic dropper and I was
wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I could get some food into her? Or
any other suggestions? I am 14 and my cat was the very first friend I had
and my best friend, I can't imagine my life without her, please respond.
Thank you for reading my post and god bless.

Old January 14th 04, 02:51 AM
.oO rach Oo.

Is there an emergency vet in your area? If not, I'd continue with the water
to keep her hydrated and take her to the vet in the morning. It could be
that the painkillers upset her stomach

--
rach

"Hipsters - UNITE!"

Old January 14th 04, 04:11 AM
GovtLawyer

any other suggestions? I am 14 and my cat was the very first friend I had
and my best friend, I can't imagine my life without her, please respond.
Thank you for reading my post and god bless.

I'd try another vet, as the other poster suggested, an emergency vet. Somehow
I get the feeling that she has been misdiagnosed; although, I do not know what
is wrong with her. I'm leary of continuing to give her painkillers.

Old January 14th 04, 04:23 AM
KellyH

"Ian" wrote in message
Around Christmas my 8 year old persian-tabby cat Amy developed a limp in

her
rear right leg, we are not sure what caused it but we believe it was from
trying to jump on top of a high counter. Along with the limp she

developed
a certain listlessness. We took her to a vet and he believed it was

simply
a soft tissue injury causing her some pain, so we asked him to administer

shot of painkiller to see if she felt any better to try to elimate any
variables. Under the painkiller most of her limp dissaperared and seemed
alert but once it wore off she became listless and began limping again.

snipping a bit

This afternoon Amy is very
weak, she barely can climb stairs and I am afraid she won't last very much
longer (besides yesterday she barely ate anything on the weekend). Half

an
hour ago I had force fed her some water through a plastic dropper and I

was
wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I could get some food into her?

Or
any other suggestions? I am 14 and my cat was the very first friend I had
and my best friend, I can't imagine my life without her, please respond.
Thank you for reading my post and god bless.

First let me say that you are a great young man for looking after your cat
so well, and taking the time to search for answers on what could be the
matter.
There is a high-calorie food called Hill's a/d that you can give Amy. You
can mix it with a little bit of warm water to make a soup and feed it to her
in a syringe. You also might want to try kitten formula, it comes as a
powder in a can. Another good emergency food is baby food. You want the
kind that is just meat and broth. This will at least get something into her
until you can get her to the vet. When a cat isn't eating, it can become a
very dangerous situation. Please get her to the vet as soon as you can!
Whether or not it is just a leg injury, the immediate problem of her not
eating or drinking needs to be taken care of.
She could have something else going on besides a leg injury. Has she been
pooping and peeing normally? Think of exactly how she has been acting and
write this all down and take it with you to the vet. Does your vet have an
emergency service? Call their number, and the message should say what to do
for an emergency.

Take care, let us know what's happened. Sending purrs your way for Amy.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old January 14th 04, 05:06 AM
guynoir

Don't feed a cat human baby food, especially not a sick cat. One very
common ingredient in baby food is onion powder (even the "all meat"
varieties): Onions, garlic and other allium vegetables are toxic to many
animals, including cats. The toxic ingredient is N-propyl disulfide,
which causes Heinz-body hemolytic anemia.

http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/clerk/Tarigo/
http://www.monkeymaddness.com/articles/onions.html

KellyH wrote:
Another good emergency food is baby food. You want the
kind that is just meat and broth. This will at least get something into her
until you can get her to the vet. When a cat isn't eating, it can become a
very dangerous situation. Please get her to the vet as soon as you can!
Whether or not it is just a leg injury, the immediate problem of her not
eating or drinking needs to be taken care of.

--
John Kimmel

I think it will be quiet around here now. So long.