Question on collars

Old April 10th 04, 10:20 PM
jeannie

"m. L. Briggs" wrote in message

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 11:37:37 +0100, "Jeannie"
wrote:

equalizer wrote in message
.. .
I've got 4 indoor only cats. All 4 are micro chipped, and wear
break-away collars 24/7 with ID's, rabies tags, microchip info. It just
occurred to me thought that they've been wearing these collars non-stop
for about 4 months now since they've been off. I decided to take them
off of them for a few hours. They don't react to the collars at all,

but
what are people's feeling about the length of time to leave a collar

on?
Is it a good idea to give them a "break" now and then, or is it
un-necessary? I frequently check the area under the collar while I'm
brushing them and doing general exams of them.

If they're indoor only cats why do they need to have the collars on at

all?

Jeannie

Do you ever read the news? Stuff happens all the time and animals
suffer.

Yes, I read the news daily but I don't see how a collar stops a cat being
run over or stolen or tortured or whatever.

Jeannie

Old April 12th 04, 12:50 AM
teri

No, a collar will not stop those things from happening. That is not the
purpose of a collar.
If an indoor cat gets out and is found by someone other than the owner, a
collar with tags will increase the cat's chances of being returned to its
home. First, a collar will let the finder know that the cat has a home.
Second, it will give the finder a way to contact the owner. This is true
even if the cat is found injured or dead.
If the cat is injured and taken to a vet while wearing a collar and tags, it
is more likely to get more than the minimum care if the owner can be located
and gives permission for additional treatment.
A cat with a collar and tags has a better chance of surviving if it ends up
at the shelter because the shelter staff will know that the cat has an owner
and who to contact to return it. If the cat is wearing a current rabies tag
and bites someone, it is more likely to be put in quarantine, while an
unidentifiable cat may be killed to find out if it has rabies.
Any cat can get out, not matter how careful you are. They can bolt outside,
they can get out of someone forgets and leaves a door or window open,
movers, repair people, guests can accidentally let the cat outside. A collar
and tags is an insurance policy that no matter what happens, the cat can be
returned home.

Here Here!! That should clear things up. If I didn't get a collar
and tag for Seamus two weeks ago after reading about the workers who
opened the window, I would do it today. (He is the one who always
tries to get out, Jewel runs *from* open doors so for the present she
is collarless, but that could change).
Teri