My Neighbor's Dog Ate My Cat

Old September 7th 03, 11:17 PM
Flying _Naked_People

Default My Neighbor's Dog Ate My Cat

Now I'm feeding her 3 two week old kittens. And I'm learning waaaay more about
cats than I ever wanted to. Like for instance, I don't think grooming is just
grooming. I think it's a necessary act - as necessary as eating (for their
nervous system??)! I have to simulate grooming with a warm damp washcloth.

But I'm confused about two of their behaviors. It's their "nose" activity. The
kittens seem to enjoy pushing their noses into my hands or arms or whatever.
And they like to stick their heads through holes. If I hold my finger and
thumb together to form a hole - they'll stick their head through it everytime.

What are they doing that for?

And if there are any inventors in here, please consider developing a "Mama
Cat." Basically, it's just a soft furry stuffed animal that randomly purrs and
has about 12 nipples sticking out of its belly. Preferrably, the nipples
should be attached to a removable bottle that people can fill with milk! Maybe
the "Mama Cat" can be plugged into a wall to generate heat too.

(Or is this already available?)

sigh

Old September 8th 03, 12:45 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Flying _Naked_People at
http://www.rcip.com/nerdgerl/email.htm wrote on 9/7/03 5:17 PM:

[...]

Just like babies, they are "sensing". Especially if their eyes aren't open,
or just open, all they have to go by is noses. They are learning by
experience and trying to keep warm and find comfort. There is a pseudo mom
cat available at Drs. Fosters and Smith (or at least I once saw one), but it
does not have nipples, but it is snuggly.

Karen

Old September 9th 03, 09:01 AM
IBen Getiner

"Flying _Naked_People" http://www.rcip.com/nerdgerl/email.htm wrote in message ...
Now I'm feeding her 3 two week old kittens. And I'm learning waaaay more about
cats than I ever wanted to. Like for instance, I don't think grooming is just
grooming. I think it's a necessary act - as necessary as eating (for their
nervous system??)! I have to simulate grooming with a warm damp washcloth.

It is a nervous behaviour that has no purpose whatsoever. I have
scolded our cat about this on numerous times, but he still does it
anyway. We even bathed him on a regualar basis thinking it was
something bad on his coat. But it did no good.

But I'm confused about two of their behaviors. It's their "nose" activity. The
kittens seem to enjoy pushing their noses into my hands or arms or whatever.
And they like to stick their heads through holes. If I hold my finger and
thumb together to form a hole - they'll stick their head through it everytime.

What are they doing that for?

It's another fetish. Some cats never outgrow it. Cats are
fetish-driven animals. They are obsessive and compulsive and they do
as they please. But isn't that why we love them?
Seriously, though... I think it must bring them back to the moment
when they slid out of the womb or something. It issues them some
comfort. Comfrot being something else that they seek with equal vigor.

And if there are any inventors in here, please consider developing a "Mama
Cat." Basically, it's just a soft furry stuffed animal that randomly purrs and
has about 12 nipples sticking out of its belly. Preferrably, the nipples
should be attached to a removable bottle that people can fill with milk! Maybe
the "Mama Cat" can be plugged into a wall to generate heat too.

(Or is this already available?)

sigh

Yes. it's called 'your neck'. Better yet, if you have a wart or a
distended mole or something equally disgusting. If your little buggars
are sucking on any of the above forementioned, put a stop to it
IMMEDIATELY. Otherwise, you'll never get them to stop when they're
older.

IBen
Old September 9th 03, 12:17 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , IBen Getiner at
wrote on 9/9/03 3:01 AM:

[...]

YOU'RE SUCH AN IDIOT!!!! THESE ARE TINY TINY VERY BABY KITTENS, YOU FOOL!
THEY *****NEED**** TO DO THESE THINGS TO DEVELOP. yeesh. Sorry for yelling
but this is THE single most STUPID post I've ever read and IBen actually
believes himself.

Karen

Old September 9th 03, 04:13 PM
McQualude

IBen Getiner spaketh...

"Flying _Naked_People" wrote
I have to simulate
grooming with a warm damp washcloth.

It is a nervous behaviour that has no purpose whatsoever. I have
scolded our cat about this on numerous times

PLONK.
--
McQualude
Old September 9th 03, 06:59 PM
KellyH

"IBen Getiner" wrote in message
m...

It is a nervous behaviour that has no purpose whatsoever. I have
scolded our cat about this on numerous times, but he still does it
anyway. We even bathed him on a regualar basis thinking it was
something bad on his coat. But it did no good.

OMG, PLEASE don't listen to this guy! You think a cat grooming itself is a
BAD behavior?? That's what cats do! Why in the hell are you scolding your
cat for grooming? What is wrong with you? Do that cat a favor and give it
to someone who will treat it properly. You should never bathe a cat unless
it is exceptionally dirty. You say cats aren't supposed to groom
themselves? Then why are they physically designed to groom themselves?
Their tongues are made to clean their bodies.

It's another fetish. Some cats never outgrow it. Cats are
fetish-driven animals. They are obsessive and compulsive and they do
as they please. But isn't that why we love them?
Seriously, though... I think it must bring them back to the moment
when they slid out of the womb or something. It issues them some
comfort. Comfrot being something else that they seek with equal vigor.

Yes it is probably comforting for these kittens to burrow, and a lot of cats
continue to do that into adulthood. Why do you call it a fetish? You make
it sound bad or dirty. People hug and cuddle together. Why? Because it's
comforting. Do you call that a "fetish"?

You know absolutely nothing about cats. Please stop giving out bad advice!

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old September 11th 03, 07:56 AM
Marek Williams

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 17:59:12 GMT, "KellyH" dijo:

OMG, PLEASE don't listen to this guy! You think a cat grooming itself is a
BAD behavior?? That's what cats do! Why in the hell are you scolding your
cat for grooming? What is wrong with you? Do that cat a favor and give it
to someone who will treat it properly. You should never bathe a cat unless
it is exceptionally dirty. You say cats aren't supposed to groom
themselves? Then why are they physically designed to groom themselves?
Their tongues are made to clean their bodies.

Actually, the main reason they lick their fur is to get the vitamin D
that is on it.

Humans produce ergosterol just below the outer skin layer. When the
sun hits the skin it activates the ergosterol into vitamin D,
whereupon it is absorbed by the body and used. In cats the ergosterol
is secreted in the oil glands and coats the fur. The sunlight hits the
fur, activates the ergosterol into vitamin D, and the cat licks it
off.

Of course, it also keeps them clean, which is also healthy. More
importantly, keeping themselves clean is something that humans like.
And cats are in a semi-symbiotic relationship with humans, so that is
also important for their survival.

It's another fetish. Some cats never outgrow it. Cats are
fetish-driven animals. They are obsessive and compulsive and they do
as they please. But isn't that why we love them?
Seriously, though... I think it must bring them back to the moment
when they slid out of the womb or something. It issues them some
comfort. Comfrot being something else that they seek with equal vigor.

As for sticking their face into holes, the purpose is to learn what
size holes they can get into. Being able to squeeze through a hole has
saved the life of lots of cats over the ages. Remember that cats have
very poor close vision. They literally use their whiskers to tell the
size of the hole. Thus practicing with holes is not play, it is a
natural instinct for them.

Incidentally, ever notice how a cat will eat out of a full can, but
when it gets about half empty the cat starts fishing the food out with
his claws? This is the whisker thing again. As soon as the face gets
down into the can so far that the whiskers hit the side of the can it
is a signal to the cat that its face is entering a hole that is too
small. It's a natural reaction to pull back.

There's an evolutionary reason for everything cats do.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.