Candidate Friedman vows declawing ban

Old February 17th 05, 06:18 AM
Shellyfish

Default Candidate Friedman vows declawing ban

I thought ya'll would enjoy this

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...politics_kinky
friedman_dc_7

From the article...

An animal lover, Friedman vowed to outlaw the declawing of cats and
promised to appoint singer and well-known marijuana smoker Willie Nelson
as head of the Texas Rangers.
Old February 17th 05, 01:27 PM
PawsForThought via CatKB.com

If I lived in Texas, he'd get my vote!

Lauren

Old February 17th 05, 05:31 PM
Cat Protector

I am glad I don't live in Texas. I am all for banning declawing but his
stance on allowing prayer in the schools is wrong as their needs to be a
separation of church and state. I don't know of a lot of Jews that are for
that one even though this candidate claims to be Jewish. I would look at the
other issues as a whole before voting for a particular candidate.
Politicians are notorious for telling people what they want to hear just to
get votes. If a candidate tells me they are a cat lover but yet are weak on
the issues then I don't think that it would be enough to get my vote.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

Old February 18th 05, 05:12 PM
gaubster2

Cat Protector wrote:
I am glad I don't live in Texas. I am all for banning declawing but

his
stance on allowing prayer in the schools is wrong as their needs to

be a
separation of church and state. I don't know of a lot of Jews that

are for
that one even though this candidate claims to be Jewish. I would look

at the
other issues as a whole before voting for a particular candidate.
Politicians are notorious for telling people what they want to hear

just to
get votes. If a candidate tells me they are a cat lover but yet are

weak on
the issues then I don't think that it would be enough to get my vote.

WHY does there "need" to be a separation of church and state, again?
That is found nowhere in the Constitution and in fact, the 1st
Amendment to that document guarantees all of us the Freedom OF
Religion, not the freedom FROM religion. There is nothing wrong with
prayer in schools, it doesn't cause anybody bodily harm. There is
nothing wrong with mentioning Christmas in public, there is nothing
wrong with displaying a menorah or a nativity scene in public on public
property. It's called PUBLIC property for a reason. I hope you're not
a member of the jihad against Christianity or religion in general!

Old February 18th 05, 05:36 PM
equalizer

In article om, gaubster2
says...

SNIP
WHY does there "need" to be a separation of church and state, again?
That is found nowhere in the Constitution and in fact, the 1st
Amendment to that document guarantees all of us the Freedom OF
Religion, not the freedom FROM religion. There is nothing wrong with
prayer in schools, it doesn't cause anybody bodily harm. There is
nothing wrong with mentioning Christmas in public, there is nothing
wrong with displaying a menorah or a nativity scene in public on public
property. It's called PUBLIC property for a reason. I hope you're not
a member of the jihad against Christianity or religion in general!

I'm sure such a staunch supporter of religious freedom would side with the
faithful in this case, then:

http://www.isgm.net/NH_Muslims_make_try.htm

NH Muslims make try for Manchester mosque
By MARK HAYWARD
Union Leader Staff

Three years after they first sought city permits, New Hampshire Muslims tonight
bring plans for a mosque in east Manchester to the Manchester Planning Board.

Muslims hope to prevail this time. After the city denied their first attempt,
they took the matter to court, and eventually the city conceded the case, said
Dr. Salman Malik, head of the Islamic Society of Greater Manchester.

The planning board application includes three letters of support — one from a
Concord peace activist, one from a Meredith teacher and another from a former
Manchester rabbi.

It would be the first mosque in New Hampshire.

But neighbors of the 13,000-square-foot mosque, which is planned for the corner
of Karatzas and Lagrange avenues, have written a letter opposing the mosque.

“The question now is how it’s going to be received in terms of the neighbors,”
Malik said. “I know there are some people who don’t want to have the mosque
built.”

The Islamic Society owns 2.9 acres in a sparsely developed area near the top of
Bald Hill in the Wellington Road area. Malik said the society purchased the land
for its views and its proximity to Interstate 93.

Muslims, he said, have suffered some prejudice in New Hampshire since the Iraq
war. He attributes it to a lack of exposure to Islam in New Hampshire.

“This is one of the reasons we want to build a mosque. This is the institution
that represents that part of the world,” Malik said.

Malik said it will cost the Islamic Society about $1 million to build the
mosque, which he described as modest. It will have a dome, but no minaret or
loudspeakers.

The society expects that typical Friday afternoon prayers will draw about 100.
Sunday school would attract about 50.

Muslim feast days would not be celebrated at the mosque, but in a larger
location such as the gymnasium at Southern New Hampshire University, said Maria
Butt, public relations director of the Islamic Society.

Butt said there are about 5,000 Muslims in New Hampshire.

Six neighbors have signed a letter to the planning board opposing the mosque.

Karatzas Avenue is in bad shape and cannot handle the additional traffic, the
neighbors said. They worried about impacts to drinking water wells and septic
systems. The city’s tax base would suffer from the loss of developable property,
and their property values could fall.

Also, they fear the mosque will eventually expand. Trustees of the Islamic
Society own adjacent lots, which could be used for future parking, the letter
reads.

“We think that it would be foolish to believe a 13,085-square-foot building will
not eventually be filled to capacity, expansion necessary and additional parking
required,” the letter reads.

The land is located in a residential zone. Houses of worship are allowed in the
zone, but only with a conditional use permit.

Butt said the mosque will be a benefit to the neighborhood. It is now used as a
dumping ground. And some have used an old Greek Orthodox chapel on the property
for Satanic worships, she said.

In 1999, the city rejected plans for the mosque, claiming Karatzas Avenue was
not a city street. But the society took the matter to court and eventually the
city agreed it should be considered a street.

The Islamic Society is an outgrowth of a Muslim students association at Southern
New Hampshire University, Malik said. The students graduated, found homes in the
area and started raising families.

The university no longer has room for Friday prayer services, Malik said.
Prayers are now said at office space on Maple Street across from Gill Stadium.

“The (Muslim) community is feeling very excited,” Butt said. “We really need
this place of prayer.”

The Planning Board public hearing begins at 7 p.m. The board will also hear
redevelopment plans for the Manchester shopping center on Valley Street.

Old February 18th 05, 05:45 PM
KellyH

"gaubster2" wrote in message
ps.com...
WHY does there "need" to be a separation of church and state, again?
That is found nowhere in the Constitution and in fact, the 1st
Amendment to that document guarantees all of us the Freedom OF
Religion, not the freedom FROM religion. There is nothing wrong with
prayer in schools, it doesn't cause anybody bodily harm. There is
nothing wrong with mentioning Christmas in public, there is nothing
wrong with displaying a menorah or a nativity scene in public on public
property. It's called PUBLIC property for a reason. I hope you're not
a member of the jihad against Christianity or religion in general!

Not everyone in the US is Christian, or even has a religion. I have no
problem with a moment of silence in public school so the kids can silently
pray, meditate, collect their thoughts, or do nothing. I have a BIG problem
with an out-loud prayer or the teacher saying "let's pray".

Back to CP's post, sometimes you have to take the good with the bad in a
candidate. I haven't read this particular politician's platform, so I don't
know where he stands on everything. You have to decide which issues are
most important to you, and base your vote on those.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old February 18th 05, 05:57 PM
Cat Protector

Not everyone is Christian and I find forcing the views of a religion on
someone else offensive. Prayer in public schools does not belong. By your
post I have to wonder how you would feel if someone pushed their culture or
religious beliefs upon you? I know I feel very uncomfortable when people
push their religious beliefs on me.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

ps.com...

Old February 18th 05, 06:29 PM
Mary

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
Not everyone is Christian and I find forcing the views of a religion on
someone else offensive. Prayer in public schools does not belong. By your
post I have to wonder how you would feel if someone pushed their culture

or
religious beliefs upon you? I know I feel very uncomfortable when people
push their religious beliefs on me.

Damn, CP, this thread went from declawing to Religion. Either one is
hot enough. Both are too hot to handle.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

ps.com...

Old February 18th 05, 07:17 PM
dgk

On 18 Feb 2005 09:12:13 -0800, "gaubster2" wrote:

Cat Protector wrote:
[...]

There needs to be separation because I hate your false religion,
whatever it is. All religion is a pack of lies. You want to teach that
poop in religious schools, no problem.

Growing up I felt very weird having to fake believing in some crap
being broadcast over the school PA. Nothing made me happier than
having it banned.
Old February 18th 05, 07:56 PM
Orchid

On 18 Feb 2005 09:12:13 -0800, "gaubster2" wrote:

WHY does there "need" to be a separation of church and state, again?
That is found nowhere in the Constitution and in fact, the 1st
Amendment to that document guarantees all of us the Freedom OF
Religion, not the freedom FROM religion. There is nothing wrong with
prayer in schools, it doesn't cause anybody bodily harm. There is
nothing wrong with mentioning Christmas in public, there is nothing
wrong with displaying a menorah or a nativity scene in public on public
property. It's called PUBLIC property for a reason. I hope you're not
a member of the jihad against Christianity or religion in general!

So, you're all good with the local Wiccan Coven holding a
public Circle? How about a Pentacle hanging next to that Nativity
scene and Menorah?

Goddess Bless,
Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage