The limp

Old June 16th 04, 01:30 AM
David Stevenson

Default The limp

On Saturday Minke started limping. I could not find anything wrong
with either back paw, but he was definitely favouring one.

By Sunday he was walking on three paws, still seeming happy enough.

On Monday I make an appointment with the vet for 3.15.

At about 2.00 Minke is sunning himself in the garden, sleeping
peacefully.

At about 2.30 I reckon it is time to catch Minke and put him in the
basket. Not a chance - he's disappeared. I go round the neighbourhood
calling him - and Nanki Poo appears, looking interested.

At 3.15 I phone the vet. They tell me to ring them if he appears to
see if they are still open.

3.45 I hear a noise - there he is! Quick chase, catch cat, put in
basket, phone vet - engaged - repeat - engaged - repeat - engaged. Drive
to vet with howling monster in car.

Minke decides having a Siamese yowl is not enough, so he cranks the
volume up. People a mile away are phoning the police and telling them a
baby is being strangled.

In the waiting room an inoffensive bulldog is wondering why this small
furry creature is howling at him!

Into the actual surgery. Tell the vet about the limp. Put cat on
floor - and he runs around room.

No limp!

Not a trace!

All four paws in full use!

Funny look from vet [youngish, female, my sort of vet]. Eventually
she believes me, gives Minke a jab, and gives me pills to give him.

Back home with howling cat, limp re-appears.

Stuffing pills down his throat I wonder whether it is all worth it.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old June 16th 04, 02:01 AM
JoJo

What a funny story - must have been frustrating for you, but I'm sitting
here laughing - and I honestly needed one, just pulled thru 5 hours of
homework

Old June 16th 04, 04:29 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

David Stevenson wrote:

Into the actual surgery. Tell the vet about the limp. Put cat on
floor - and he runs around room.

No limp!

Not a trace!

All four paws in full use!

Funny look from vet [youngish, female, my sort of vet]. Eventually
she believes me, gives Minke a jab, and gives me pills to give him.

Back home with howling cat, limp re-appears.

Melisande limps from time to time - partly because the claws on the foot
of the hind leg she broke a few years ago grow very thick, and a little
crooked, and are hard to clip (when she lets me do it at all). The one
time I took her to the vet, turned out she had managed to break a claw,
herself, and it hurt when she put weight on it, so she wouldn't.
However, once the vet determined the problem, she said all we could do
was let it heal itself, since there was no wound or anything that might
get infected. (It was just like when you break a fingernail and the
break extends into the quick of the nail.)

Old June 16th 04, 06:49 AM
Yoj

[...]

This reminds me of the time Herbie (RB) was hit by a car. He wasn't
badly hurt, but he did have a limp. The vet checked him and said he'd
be fine and didn't need any special treatment. Two months later, he was
still limping - and getting a lot of attention because of it. We took
him back to the vet, who said he probably had a damaged nerve and would
limp for the rest of his life, but that he wasn't in pain. As soon as
we knew he wasn't in pain, we stopped making a fuss about the limp. A
few days later, Herbie stopped limping, and never limped again.

Joy