Why I like cats better than most people

Old June 29th 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Why I like cats better than most people

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
m...

"Lesley" wrote in message
On Jun 28, 11:37 am, "Kreisleriana" wrote:

True. I rarely think about the word's original meaning. I've always
thought it a rude way to refer to people whose parents weren't
married.

It's simply the term for children born outside of wedlock
originally
it had no rude connotations whatever

I think here in the US, certain words may be more thoroughly
detached from their original meanings, and taken on new ones. I
don't know anyone who would call an innocent child a *******, but it
is frequently used just to indicate a bad person, a person you don't
like.
Similarly, the word "bitch" is almost exclusively used as an
insult-- only people who breed dogs use the word technically.

So on one of my trips to England, one day in Durham, I encountered a
spectacular German shepherd dog with her human. She was gorgeous,
terrifically friendly, and enormous. I remarked on her unusual size
to her doting human, who replied, "Yes, she is big for a bitch."
It was nothing to him, but I think my eyebrows crawled up into my
hairline.

More of that "separated by a common language" stuff.

Also one of those words where the total meaning varies from one part
of the country to another and from likely one age group to another.

Now there are very few human females in the US who would take kindly
to being called a bitch to their face. But plenty who would wear a
t-shirt or have a bumper sticker saying "you say I'm a bitch like its
a bad thing" and think nothing of it.

The word itself wouldn't raise many eyebrows in this part of
California.

Jo

Old June 29th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Not at present but will ask when she calls again.

We had to replenish the supplies at the Rest Area. This time I added some
of the kitty milk already mixed up in cans as well as food and more litter.
We aren't supposed to do this but they are in my storeroom marked coffee
supplies. We have to have things to help, you can't imagine how many
animals are dumped.

We have helped out a time or two when rescue people go through with a load
of dogs. Last ones were greyhounds. Good thing I don't have a big house or
enough money to support them, I would have my own rescue place. As is, we
try to find homes or get them to a shelter.

Many a trucker has taken a boxed up animal to a shelter where we tell him.
They take a picture of the place when they get there and email it to us.

One man didn't do that and we were worried he may have redumped. Six weeks
later he cam back through and had the two dogs in the truck with him. He
said "they wouldn't get out of the truck when I got there, what was I to
do?"
"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...

"Granby" wrote in message
The lady called today and said the little black and whit boy had lungs
full of fluid but, thought he would make it. The bitty girl has a cold
but nothing serious. Bec ause of the rescue of sorts, the vet is only
charging them cost for the medicine. Some purrs for the two would be
appreciated.

Purrs and healing thoughts for the bitties and loving thoughts for the
slaves and TED. Do you know who or where TED is? Someone might want to
send money to them.

Pam S. who wishes she could.

Old June 29th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Granby wrote:
The lady called today and said the little black and whit boy had lungs full
of fluid but, thought he would make it. The bitty girl has a cold but
nothing serious. Bec ause of the rescue of sorts, the vet is only charging
them cost for the medicine. Some purrs for the two would be appreciated.

Purring for the babies, and sending a few 'thank you' purrs to you for
rescuing them.

Old June 29th 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I have a t-shirt that says

I am not a Bitch,
I am THE Bitch
AND, that is MIZ Bitch to you.

Old June 29th 08, 07:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kreisleriana wrote:

So on one of my trips to England, one day in Durham, I encountered a
spectacular German shepherd dog with her human. She was gorgeous,
terrifically friendly, and enormous. I remarked on her unusual size to her
doting human, who replied, "Yes, she is big for a bitch." It was
nothing to him, but I think my eyebrows crawled up into my hairline.

I can just see the dog doing a Queen Latifah imitation, "Who you callin'
a bitch??!"

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old June 29th 08, 08:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Purrs on the way

Granby wrote:
The lady called today and said the little black and whit boy had
lungs full of fluid but, thought he would make it. The bitty girl
has a cold but nothing serious. Bec ause of the rescue of sorts, the
vet is only charging them cost for the medicine. Some purrs for the
two would be appreciated. "Shiral" wrote in
message

Old June 29th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jun 28, 8:11*pm, "Granby" wrote:
I have a t-shirt that says

I am not a Bitch,
I am THE Bitch
AND, that is MIZ Bitch to you.

Like it! Always liked a t-shirt I once saw, which read "If you think
my attitude stinks, you should sniff my finger"

Wouldn't have the nerve to wear it through

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old June 29th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

Purrs for the bitties.

--
Ann
in Connecticut
"Granby" wrote in message
The lady called today and said the little black and whit boy had lungs
full of fluid but, thought he would make it. The bitty girl has a cold
but nothing serious. Bec ause of the rescue of sorts, the vet is only
charging them cost for the medicine. Some purrs for the two would be
appreciated.
"Shiral" wrote in message
On Jun 27, 5:48 pm, "Granby" wrote:
When I went to the Rest Area for work today, I found two baby kittens,
probably just barely weaned if indeed that was the case. Upon the
cleaning
crew looking around, we found two dead kitties in the parking lot.

Someone just dumped them. We fed the two as best we could and, with
people
traveling with their pets got some of the kitty milk and gave them that.
We
don't have a shelter in our town so the only way we could get them to one
was to lie and say we found them in that town. I was prepared to do that
when BAST intervened and sent an elderly couple who fell in love with the
two little ones. They went into town and bought a carrier and all the
necessities. They said their cat at home was 18 and they would love to
have
the little ones. With me standing there, they called their daughter and
asked if she would agree to take them if anything happened to the old
folks.
She agreed and it was settled. Gave them my card so they could report
back.

I just don't see how anyone could do such a thing, dumping and driving
off.

Good on you for rescuing the babies, Granby. And may the kittens
bring their new slaves hours of companionship, love and joy in return
for their timely rescue!

A plague upon the pusilanimous being who abandoned them!

Melissa

Old June 29th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Granby" wrote in message

Many a trucker has taken a boxed up animal to a shelter where we tell him.
They take a picture of the place when they get there and email it to us.

One man didn't do that and we were worried he may have redumped. Six
weeks later he cam back through and had the two dogs in the truck with
him. He said "they wouldn't get out of the truck when I got there, what
was I to
do?"

I wouldn't know about that. snicker That's how we got Huey, MCG,
Squeakers (now living with his human on a farm in South Dakota), and
Diamond. Nope wouldn't know about that one bit. I like your friend, the
trucker. He's my kind of Samaritan.

Pam S.

Old June 29th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kathy[_2_]

"Granby" wrote in message
The lady called today and said the little black and whit boy had lungs
full of fluid but, thought he would make it. The bitty girl has a cold
but nothing serious. Bec ause of the rescue of sorts, the vet is only
charging them cost for the medicine. Some purrs for the two would be
appreciated.

Lots of purrs for them. Sounds like they were off to a rough start but y'all
helped them out.

--
^..^

Kathy P.