I'm glad I know the truth

Old April 27th 09, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default I'm glad I know the truth

about KFC now. Not knowing where she was or what had happened would have
kept me awake at night.
I cannot say I am happy with the vets who saw her, they did not even have a
record of who brought her in and I am livid that they did not give her a
chance for an owner to come forward for her.
What a pity that she was not taken to my own vets, they would have
recognised her immediately and phoned me to say "KFC is here, come and fetch
her"
It's too late for that.

I will post a lot about her in the next few weeks to help with my mourning.
I am angry and upset.

Tweed

Old April 27th 09, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Tweed, knowing, even with the pain it brings has to be better than not
knowing. I think of Dan and Nancy with their Tabitha missing and know that
has to be so hard. If there is any good in this it is that some other wild
animal or human vehicle did not end her life.

None of this is any help now and yes, you should be good and angry. For
them not to wait until Monday so someone could call around or something is
just..............

Old April 27th 09, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
about KFC now. Not knowing where she was or what had happened
would have kept me awake at night.
I cannot say I am happy with the vets who saw her, they did not
even have a record of who brought her in and I am livid that
they did not give her a chance for an owner to come forward for
her.
What a pity that she was not taken to my own vets, they would
have recognised her immediately and phoned me to say "KFC is
here, come and fetch her"
It's too late for that.

I will post a lot about her in the next few weeks to help with
my mourning.
I am angry and upset.

I hope you don't mind - I've contacted the Leicester Mercury,
with links to the discussions here. They're running a story about
a cat burglar at the moment - they may just be interested in
telling KFC's story.

--
MatSav

Old April 27th 09, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

For my part this is good, I hope they do an article maybe it will give those
in charge of such things cause to think first. This is a pet owners
greatest fear. Not to wait until after a week end is just horrible.

"MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com wrote
in message news

Old April 28th 09, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Granby" wrote in message

For my part this is good, I hope they do an article maybe it will
give those in charge of such things cause to think first. This is a
pet owners greatest fear. Not to wait until after a week end is just
horrible.

I'm going to be the Devil's advocate and I realise that I'm not going to be
popular for doing so.

We don't know the state in which KFC presented to the vet. If she had not
had any fluids for a number of days, as is quite plausable, she would have
been in a very poor state. She may have even been injured. Even if the vet
tried to contact Tweed, there would have been no answer at her house, and so
there would have been no further information for the vet to go on. The vet
wouldn't have been able to tell if she was currently owned, or if the ID was
way out of date, as often happens (assuming she had ID). And if KFC was in a
poor state and likely to get worse quickly, as a CRF cat would, no self
respecting vet would have waited a few days whilst the cat got progessively
worse in the hope an owner might be located.

Her passing was adminstered by people who were doing what they thought was
best for an old, frail, CRF cat, whose owner could not be contacted, and was
therefore by definition humane and peaceful. Although she went too early
compared to if the circumstances were 'ideal', we all know it could have
been far far worse. I don't think the vet did anything wrong based on what
he or she would have known at the time, ditto with the people who found her
and took her to the vet, and to June, Tweed and even KFC herself. No-one
ought to be blamed for this tragic set of circumstances - and whilst its all
too easy to play the 'what if' game (and I've been there msyelf) its no-one
*fault* that fate turned out this aweful way.

I know none of this diminishes the pain of loss, the heartbreak, anguish and
sorrow. I know it doesn't give KFC the extra days, months or even years she
was entitled to if things had turned out differently. But nor does blaming
others bring her back, and it certainly doesn't encourage benevolent
strangers from lending a hand to lost and needy animals rather than choosing
to 'not get involved'.

Im truly truly sorry things turned out this way, but think its unfair of
RPCA to crucify a veterinary service who was giving a very old frail CRF cat
with no contactable owner and therefore no known medical history a dignified
and peaceful passing. I'm sure if they'd known who she was and her medical
history, they would have acted differently, but they didn't have the benefit
of that knowledge at the time. Any veterinary service would do the same
given the circumstances. It suxs, yes, its tragic, yes, and its deeply
unfair, yes. But its *not* anyone's *fault*.

Yowie

Old April 28th 09, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

"Yowie" wrote in message
"Granby" wrote in message

For my part this is good, I hope they do an article maybe it will
give those in charge of such things cause to think first. This is a
pet owners greatest fear. Not to wait until after a week end is just
horrible.

I'm going to be the Devil's advocate and I realise that I'm not going to
be popular for doing so.

snip

Yowie, leave it to you to be logical. Are you by some chance part Vulcan,
like Spock?

BTW, those same thoughts ran through my mind, as well!!!

her
wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde

Old April 28th 09, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

Yowie wrote:
"Granby" wrote in message

[...]

You have stated what I have been thinking. The Good Samaritan who took
her there was trying to help -- probably a cat lover too MLB
Old April 28th 09, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Yowie" wrote in message
"Granby" wrote in message

[...]

Well said, Yowie!

--

Joy

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of
masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch. - Leo Dworken

Old April 28th 09, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

"MLB" wrote in message
Yowie wrote:

You have stated what I have been thinking. The Good Samaritan who took
her there was trying to help -- probably a cat lover too MLB

I see both sides. The murderer vet would have no idea of KFC's kidney
status unless they tested. I doubt they would do that. They saw an old cat
who probably didn't move like a spry young cat and thought she needed to be
downed. Wrong wrong wrong. It could happen to any of our cats who get into
the OUT when they shouldn't, and KFC clearly shouldn't have been, but she
got OUT. In my situation with Patches who was an outdoor cat at my sister's
doesn't even want to leave "her" room let alone try to run out the door.
She did that at my sister's house. She wouldn't make it as an outdoor cat
here. They all end up roadkill.

Tweed, I don't want this to be another indoor-outdoor cat debate. Your
situation is different, just as Patches situation before she came here was
different.

No one need respond to this post. I'm just rambling.

Old April 28th 09, 04:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

On Apr 27, 5:16*pm, "Yowie" wrote:
"Granby" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, as a member of the veterinary community, I can see both sides.
I also have seen this before.

An old, unhealthy cat, with no owner or record. I've seen the humane
ending and the happy ending. Mango, who I spoke about in my vet Tech
journals, was one of those elderly cats that seemed a 'lost cause' and
fortunately the staff took pity on him and was able to give him
another year and a half of love and attention.

I must ask, did KFC have any ID? Or even a collar? Cause i hate to
say it, that would have been the main thing to look for. If there was
no ID, and no microchip, then there's no reason for a vet to think the
cat had a home. I'm so sorry to have to say it.

I think the vet was indeed wrong and will have to live with the fact
that he put down someone's pet without their knowledge or consent.
The entire staff will have to live with that. If I had been a member
of that staff and found out that a stray that was put down had an
owner, I would personally be devastated.

I am still shocked and horrified at these events, and I would still be
angry at the vet, rightfully so. but those things i said in my other
post was me spouting.

Now if KFC DID have an ID, then it was a horrific mistake by the vet
and I would be furious.

that's my five cents

kristi

A Truth Granby Cat community 3 February 4th 09 02:50 PM
OT Joke about Truth Matthew Cat anecdotes 1 February 6th 07 03:12 PM
[OT] An Inconvenient Truth - ? Pat Cat anecdotes 9 July 8th 06 02:27 AM
The Truth About Holly [email protected] Cat anecdotes 51 February 22nd 05 03:20 AM
The truth about Mia... by Mia frigamia Cat health & behaviour 4 February 24th 04 07:44 AM