Questions re rescued stray semi-feral cat

Old September 18th 03, 04:48 PM
Ron Herfurth

"Bill" wrote in message
"Ron Herfurth" wrote in message

"Marek Williams" wrote in message
. . . Here are my questions --

1) One of the things that sends him into ecstasy is if I stick my
little finger into his ears while petting him and rub around in there.
My finger comes out with brownish ear wax on it, but I suspect he has
ear mites. If I look at the ear wax with a magnifying glass, would
they be visible? If he has ear mites, what is a good treatment (over
the counter, preferably, since we're not yet ready for the vet visit)?

If your vet is like mine you'll get a small bottle of ear drops and a

big
bottle of blue cleaning liquid (simple refered to as blue stuff.) No

matter
what the vet says, use the blue stuff till most of the wax is gone then

use
the ear drops. The mites are down under the wax and the ear drops don't
penetrate the wax so they can't kill the mites till the wax is gone. So

you
might persuade your vet to sell you a bottle of blue stuff with out

taking
Old George in.
. . .

There's also a product called Revolution that's supposed to kill ear

mites,
fleas, and ticks. You put the liquid behind the cat's neck where he can't
lick it.

It also kills fles and ticks, great stuff. I think you can only get it from
a vet. The pricing is weird, $15 for each dose or 7 for $55 - that's a six
pack plus one "free".

Either way you kill the ear mites, the cat's ear will most likely continue
to produce excess ear wax for a while. This means you need to clean the
cat's ears yourself or take him to the vet to have it done. Naturally

cats
hate this procedure.

I had a cat with with so much wax that it took the vet more than a dozen
Qtips to get it all. Me and a tech were holding the poor guy and he was
thumping his one free foot on the table. I think blue stuff 3 times a day
for a week would have been more humane.

ron

One of my cats had an ear mite infection, so I know they quickly develop a
sense of when you're going to clean their ears.

Bill

Old September 22nd 03, 01:06 AM
Marek Williams

Thanks to all who responded. As soon as I get the time (I've been
really swamped lately) I'll stop by a vet's office and see if I can
get some Revolution. There are three vets within walking distance of
my house, but getting there during office hours is difficult.

In the meantime, he has now pooped once inside the house, and I think
he peed again in the same general location as the first time. I tried
the suggestion of putting some dirt on top of the litter, and I placed
it in this area, but so far he has not used it. On the other hand,
three incidents inside the house over a week or so is not that much.
Clearly he is going outside most of the time.

What bothers me is whether he really understands the idea of indoors
vs outdoors. He has been a stray living outside most of his life. I
guess I'll just have to ride with it a while to see how things
develop.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Old September 23rd 03, 08:07 AM
Emily W

That is a very nice thing you did for George. Sounds like he may have
ear mites...You may want to take him to the vet as soon as possible.
Especially if he is indoor/outdoor...he needs aids and leukemia
preventions. The vet should be able to determine his age, or around it
anyway. as far as littler box training him, it still can be done, my
suggestion is to take his poop and put it in his box and show it to him.
He will eventually get the idea...I hope i have been some help. I do
work in a vet's office so maybe i can be more help

eMiLy HeArTs LeJuAn!=A1!=A1!

Old September 23rd 03, 08:12 AM
Emily W

Another thing i meant to say was: I have 2 male cats and they peed on
everything!!!! It was horrible..but I stoped that by getting them
fixed. It is a givin that an in-tact male cat will pee on your things
and the litter box too.

eMiLy HeArTs LeJuAn!=A1!=A1!