Lethal dose of morphine for a cat

Old September 21st 04, 01:35 AM
-L. :

"Phil P." wrote in message ...
"-L. :" wrote in message
om...
"Phil P." wrote in message

snippy

I have no tolerance for vets who simply
kill cats as part of a day's work.

Unfortunately, that's how a lot of vets and techs approach it -
especially if the guardian refuses to be present. One of the most
upsetting things I witnessed was a tech euthing an 8-week old FIP
kitten all the while laughing and joking with another tech. It was
just so damn disrespectful. I silently wept.

In my younger days when I volunteered in a municipal shelter, a vet tech
used an amphetamine to euthanize a cat - he thought it was funny to see the
cat bouncing off the walls of the cage until his heart exploded. Since the
tech thought it was so funny, I thought he would enjoy bouncing off the
walls, too, for about 20 minutes. I was wrong... he didn't enjoy it. I
don't think the tech will ever forget that cat.

How horrible. This kind of thing disturbs me but it becomes all too
common when people work in those situations for a long time. Some of
the stuff I have seen (research labs, primarily) just literally makes
me sick.

-L.

Old September 29th 04, 12:40 AM
Luramao

It is illegal to euthanize humans, so the choice of 'putting them to
sleep' vs morphine never comes up. But, having worked as a nurses aid I
have seen humans essentially overdosed on morphine to death, and I've
also seen humans 'maintained' on morphine while they more slowly died of
dehydration or starvation. Or, kept on morphine while they die of
whatever is ailing them. (These people did not seem to have a bad or
painful death.

Such humans dont get their morphine orally nor even by shots, but get
the drug administered via IV.

But, if you're gonna give an animal a 'shot', it doesnt make sense to
give morphine when you can simply give them the normal (?) shot that
puts them to sleep.

I had a cat whom I took to the vet last year thinking it might be for
euthanasia; he was very old and had been very sick for a very long time,
and seemed to be nearing the end. However, on the way to the vet,
somehow he KNEW, and he began looking me at imploringly, pleadingly, and
I couldnt do it. He ended up living another 4 weeks, mostly spent
peacefully sleeping; he didnt seem to be suffering or in pain, and in
the end, he just went to sleep one night and didnt wake up. I was very
glad I left it up to him as to when to go......

But, now I have another very sick cat, this one, alas only about 3 years
old, and in severe renal failure.
[???????????????????????????????????????]

I would prefer for her to guide me, but, if I have to make the decision,
if she is suffering or in pain, if she has to be put down, I'm thinking
I want it to be done with a captive bolt pistol. I believe, and I have
also heard a vet say, that this is the quickest, least traumatic way of
doing it. It is instantaneous and the animal doesnt see it coming.
I've heard that it can be difficult to find a "pet" vet who has a
captive bolt pistol tho. Has anybody ever had a pet put down this way?

Old October 1st 04, 05:40 AM
Luramao

What's a captive bolt pistol?

Its a gun that has a steel bolt, powered by compressed air or a blank
cartridge. The bolt is driven into the animal's brain, instantly
killing it.
Livestock are commonly killed by this manner, altho mad cow disease may
call for other means of euthanasia due to the possibility of brain
tissue emboli. The steel bolt does not fire 'out' of the gun, hence
the name "captive bolt" pistol. After being fired, the bolt is then
retracted back into the pistol.

A good description can be found on Temple Grandin's site:

www.grandin.com/humane/cap.bolt.tips.html

www.grandin.com/humane/captive.bolt.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-

Lethal dose of morphine for a cat

Group: rec.pets.cats.health+behav Date: Wed, Sep 29, 2004, 11:18pm
(EDT-3) From: (Marek=A0Williams)
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:40:29 -0400,
(Luramao) dijo:
also heard a vet say, that this is the quickest, least traumatic way of
doing it. =A0 It is instantaneous and the animal doesnt see it coming.
I've heard that it can be difficult to find a "pet" vet who has a
captive bolt pistol tho. =A0 Has anybody ever had a pet put down this
way?

What is a captive bolt pistol?
--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply
here.

Old October 1st 04, 06:32 AM
Mary

"Luramao" wrote in message
What's a captive bolt pistol?

Its a gun that has a steel bolt, powered by compressed air or a blank
cartridge. The bolt is driven into the animal's brain, instantly
killing it.
Livestock are commonly killed by this manner, altho mad cow disease may
call for other means of euthanasia due to the possibility of brain
tissue emboli. The steel bolt does not fire 'out' of the gun, hence
the name "captive bolt" pistol. After being fired, the bolt is then
retracted back into the pistol.

A good description can be found on Temple Grandin's site:

www.grandin.com/humane/cap.bolt.tips.html

www.grandin.com/humane/captive.bolt.html

Oh yes, I imagine we will all be seeking this out
as a means to euthanize our dying cats. That's disgusting.