Is it safe to feed Hills Perscription Diet S/D for all cats in house?

Old April 9th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Is it safe to feed Hills Perscription Diet S/D for all cats in house?

I have a cat that recently had surgery to remove crytsals from her
bladder and the vet has put her on Hills Percription Diet S/D. I'm
wondering if anyone knows if it's ok to feed my other cat the same
food. They are both females and the same age (sisters). It has been
a complete pain to seperate them at feeding time and the other cat
ends up eating the Hills anyway.

p.s. I asked this question to my vet but she hasn't gotten back to me
yet.

Thanks for the help,

Kate

Old April 9th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

On Apr 9, 11:53 am, wrote:
I have a cat that recently had surgery to remove crytsals from her
bladder and the vet has put her on Hills Percription Diet S/D. I'm
wondering if anyone knows if it's ok to feed my other cat the same
food. They are both females and the same age (sisters). It has been
a complete pain to seperate them at feeding time and the other cat
ends up eating the Hills anyway.

p.s. I asked this question to my vet but she hasn't gotten back to me
yet.

Thanks for the help,

Kate

These prescription diets are formulated to create a certain urinary
PH. So if a cat that has an already normal PH is fed a prescription
diet, it may cause the urinary PH to be either to acidic or to
alkaline, thus causing crystals. I'd be very careful to not feed the
cat without the problem any of the prescription food.

Old April 9th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MoMo via CatKB.com

Your other CANNOT eat the S/D.

Here is an explanation of the two different types of crystals:

The two most common crystals are struvite and oxalate. Struvite crystals are
more likely to form in urine that has an alkaline pH. If struvite crystals
are a problem, special diets are available to make the urine more acid. This
acidic pH may prevent the crystals from forming. These diets include Purina
CNM UR-Formula, Waltham Veterinary Diet Control pH Formula, and Hill's c/d-s,
r/d, s/d, and w/d. These diets are also lower in the minerals that make up
the crystals such as magnesium and phosphorous. The diets are available
through your veterinarian. Some of these diets are used to treat existing
problems and are given for several months only. Others are used to prevent
the condition from occurring in the future and can be fed for the lifetime of
the animal.

Oxalate crystals are more likely to form if the pH of the urine is acidic.
Special diets are available which make the urine more alkaline. These diets
are lower in calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, and sodium. Diets available
through your veterinarian include Hill's c/d-o.

So, depending on the type of crystals seen in your pet's urine, a different
diet may help prevent the recurrence of the problem.

If you feed your other cat the s/d, and she has a normal ph level, you are
putting her at risk for forming oxalate crystals being that you would be
making her urine too acidic. The kitty with the crystals should only be on
the s/d for, I believe, a month and then after that your vet will put her on
c/d which both cats can eat. I just went through this in October so I know
how hard you are having it. Good luck with everything!