Cat Sick

Old June 25th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

Default Cat Sick

I'm so distraught. My beloved Hobbes is having problems and is at the
vet right now as I type this post. Yesterday I took him in because he
had been eliminating (#2) outside his litterbox a couple times which
is very unlike him. He's almost 14 and has never done this.

Yesterday I took him in and they checked for diabetes because he lost
almost a pound since January which is really unusual. He's been a
steady 18 pounds (he's a Maine Coon) forever. He's been voraciously
eating lately and has been throwing up in the mornings on occasion.
(More than the norm with trying to get a hairball up and such.) They
had to give him a small enema because the vet felt a hard stool which
he found some straw-like stuff about 5 inches long. I knew that was
from an artificial plant pot and had seen my cat chewing and promptly
removed the stuff. He then proceeded to pass two large normal stools
after that. The vet sent the stool for testing and there are no
parasites.

The vet did say yesterday that if Hobbes threw up this morning that he
would probably need to take further action...meaning some xrays. This
morning he threw up right after I fed him. So he's in the vet's
office right now getting xrays.

I'm just wondering what this could mean? I hope there are no more
strawlike substances in his intestines. I'm also hoping it's not
cancer. His blood work showed an elevation in his white blood cell
count.

I'm so worried. As many of you know, our kitties are our hearts.
He's mine. Thanks for listening.
Old June 25th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"LauraM" wrote

had to give him a small enema because the vet felt a hard stool which
he found some straw-like stuff about 5 inches long. I knew that was
from an artificial plant pot and had seen my cat chewing and promptly
removed the stuff. He then proceeded to pass two large normal stools
after that. The vet sent the stool for testing and there are no
parasites.

Good luck Laura and I imagine you've tossed out that offensive planter now.

Old June 25th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I'm just wondering what this could mean? *I hope there are no more
strawlike substances in his intestines. *I'm also hoping it's not
cancer. *His blood work showed an elevation in his white blood cell
count.

I've been where you are--my cat ate an entire mouse toy, which was
filled with straw stuff. My Tucker ended up with pancreatitis--not to
scare you, though. Hobbes at the best place right now. If the x-rays
don't show anything, you might consider a barium series (where they
use barium and take photos of the intestinal tract). X-rays don't show
everything, especially if it's not fully blocked.

Also, make sure the vet checks for hypothryoidism. You mentioning the
weight loss and eating a lot, which are symptoms.

Hugs,
Rene
Old June 25th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Also, make sure the vet checks for hypothryoidism. You mentioning the
weight loss and eating a lot, which are symptoms.

OOPS I meant HYPER thyroidism (over active)!
Old June 25th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to "Rene S." :

Also, make sure the vet checks for hypothryoidism. You mentioning
the weight loss and eating a lot, which are symptoms.

OOPS I meant HYPER thyroidism (over active)!

OK, I know I'm picking at you, but it made me giggle.

You noticed hypo/hyper but not thryoid/thyroid? ; )

Hee hee. See ya'.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old June 25th 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jun 25, 10:56*am, LauraM wrote:
[...]

You should probably change what you feed Hobbes.And maybe get rid of
the plant.Hope Hobbes gets better!
Old June 25th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

On Jun 25, 1:21*pm, "Rene S." wrote:
Also, make sure the vet checks for hypothryoidism. You mentioning the
weight loss and eating a lot, which are symptoms.

OOPS I meant HYPER thyroidism (over active)!

My kitty is back home from the vet. The xrays showed more blockage,
so they did another enema. poor boy At the end of the stools they
found a bloody stool with a "substance" in it, which translates to
"artificial plant". Evidentally this was in him causing irritation.
He got fluids, a shot of antibiotics and is home now in his sheepskin
bed.

The vet is recommending his same food, TD, and to supplement it with a
small amount of Wellness wet canned food.

He had a hypothydroid test just a few months ago when I took him in
for his teeth cleaning and it came back fine, so he didn't think I
needed to redo that right now. Just to keep an eye on him to make
sure he's passing stools, drinking enough water, and not throwing up.

He's so happy to be home!!! Thanks everyone for your input!
Old June 25th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

On Jun 25, 3:19*pm, LauraM wrote:
On Jun 25, 1:21*pm, "Rene S." wrote:

[...]

WHOOPS!! I meant HYPERthyroid!!

****Please help....Sick cat!!!!! [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 3 June 22nd 07 04:34 PM
I know I'm sick because... Enfilade Cat anecdotes 3 February 15th 06 12:56 AM
Sick Cat G. Corlew Cat community 4 November 17th 03 06:41 PM
Cat Being Sick kath simcox Cat health & behaviour 10 August 22nd 03 12:11 AM
sick old cat Moosh:] Cat health & behaviour 42 August 2nd 03 02:05 AM