Cat anal sacs - surgery to remove?

Old March 8th 04, 12:55 AM
stoverny

Default Cat anal sacs - surgery to remove?

My 10 yr. old cat has had a problem with his anal sacs for about 18
months now. They fill up with fluid and he starts scooting around the
carpet after using the litter box. He also sometimes cries when he
comes out of the box as if he is in pain.

We have been bringing him to the vet every 3 months or so to have the
anal sacs drained. The vet is saying that we may wish to consider
surgery to have the sacs removed.

Has anyone had this surgery performed on their cat? Are there any
dangers or side effects that I should be aware of? Is there anything
else we could try besides surgery to correct this problem?

Thank you in advance for any input or advice!

-Dennis
Old March 8th 04, 02:58 AM
Mary

Has anyone had this surgery performed on their cat? Are there any
dangers or side effects that I should be aware of? Is there anything
else we could try besides surgery to correct this problem?

Are her anal glands infected, impacted? If so, you could give her antibiotics.
You can also learn how to empty and clean her anal glands yourself more often.
A groomer can do it also, cheaper than a vet and you can do it more often.

Old March 8th 04, 11:38 AM
Phil P.

"stoverny" wrote in message
om...
My 10 yr. old cat has had a problem with his anal sacs for about 18
months now. They fill up with fluid and he starts scooting around the
carpet after using the litter box. He also sometimes cries when he
comes out of the box as if he is in pain.

We have been bringing him to the vet every 3 months or so to have the
anal sacs drained.

Frequent expression causes irritation -- which causes inflammation -- which
perpetuates the problem.

The vet is saying that we may wish to consider
surgery to have the sacs removed.

Does your vet just simply drain the sacs or does he flush the sacs with an
antiseptic solution then fill the sacs with a antibiotic ointment? Our vets
instill an ophthalmic antibiotic ointment into the sacs with a lacrimal
needle - works like a charm with very few recurrences. Impacted sacs tend
to become infected and inflamed -- the infection can then lead to
abscessation. So its very important to treat the infection - otherwise the
cycle will continue and eventually end with surgery - which could have
probably been avoided.

Has anyone had this surgery performed on their cat? Are there any
dangers or side effects that I should be aware of?

Performed properly, few cats have any complications or recurrence after
healing. The outcome depends on the surgical skill of the vet.

Is there anything
else we could try besides surgery to correct this problem?

Sometimes a drain can be installed or the sacs can be cauterized.

If your cat produces soft stools, a diet change may help. Cats naturally
express their anal sacs when they poop providing their stools are hard
enough (normal).

We've handled many cats with anal sac disease and only a very, very few
required surgery. If I were you, I'd seek a second opinion before going
ahead with surgery. There's probably a good chance surgery can be avoided
with proper treatment.

Good luck,

Phil