How to stop cats killing?

Old March 29th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Willana Lifesciences: working on a collar.

Brandy Alexandre wrote:
Whatever happened to the good old cat bell on the collar?

Hi Brandy. Well, out of all these responses it's become pretty clear
that, yes, a bell works on some cats, and perhaps more than just ONE
bell works on some cats, but on my two, at least, which EACH have SIX
bells on their collars, it's just not enough. Actually, newly hatched
birds are so curious and unaware that cats equal danger that I don't
think two dozen bells would get them to make themselves scarce before
the pounce of the cat! And baby bunnies really do seem to be utterly
innocent: they're not genetically programmed to recognise bells as
meaning "Get back down that burrow and QUICK!"

Unfortunately for them.

And fortunately for my cats . . . which are currently obsessed with the
first baby bunnies of spring and rush off to where they know there are
burrows the moment I let them out the door!

Ellie.

Old March 29th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Natural for cats to race free.

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 04:03:55 GMT, "Ryan Robbins"
wrote:

I live in Maine. Life is good.

Mmmmm... 103 murders 2001-5 (inc)
207 Road Fatalataties in 2003 of which 49 where out of the vehicle

You're not getting your moneys worth

What does this have to do with cats not being able to fend for themselves as
well as humans?

Now you might be Clark Kent, but I doubt it. In which case I cannot
see you being able to dodge a bullet or fend off a large lump of metal
going at any speed at all, particularly if driven by a drunk or drud
abuser

http://www.black-cat-gfx.co.uk/

"A cat is only technically an animal,
being divine" - Robert Lynd
Old April 13th 06, 08:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Here in Texas, in the suburbs or country, coyotes are notorious for killing
cats and small dogs. One good reason to keep pets indoors if you know they
live in your area.

Of course, they leave larger dogs alone.

-- maryjane

Actually, coyotes will attack a big dog in a group.

LT
Old April 13th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Linda Terrell" wrote in message

Here in Texas, in the suburbs or country, coyotes are notorious for
killing
cats and small dogs. One good reason to keep pets indoors if you know
they
live in your area.

Of course, they leave larger dogs alone.

-- maryjane

Actually, coyotes will attack a big dog in a group.

LT

They'll go after toddlers too given the right opportunity. I don't remember
any little ones getting killed - but after all they are wild animals. Very
small children are near they're normal prey size. If the coyotes have
become so acclimatized to humans as to loose fear of us - watch out. Feral
abandoned dogs can be even worse - they don't fear people, have often been
abused by humans and can become quite vicious.

(On my cousin's ranch the wild dog packs are the one's killing sheep and
goats. He invites his deer lease holders out a few times a year to hunt
down the packs. Unfortunately, these abandoned dogs are too dangerous to be
salvaged by any shelter.)

-- maryjane