Allergist was no help. (Update)

Old September 15th 03, 09:09 PM
Bob Avery

Default Allergist was no help. (Update)

Well, we went to an allergist last week and although the allergy test
was conclusive (ragweed pollen is an allergy as well as a few other
thingstoo.) We didn't get much help in the way of a cure. The
desensitization shots some of you recommended contain a steroid
derivative that my future wife has had a bad reaction to previously.
The Dr. went back to suggesting some other prescription meds we've
already tried.

I'm afraid Tuggles and Midge have to go. Thanks for the suggestions
though. Sometimes it is just unavoidable (despite what some of the cat
disciples here suggested)

Bob.

Old September 15th 03, 10:44 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:09:47 GMT, Bob Avery wrote:

Well, we went to an allergist last week and although the allergy test
was conclusive (ragweed pollen is an allergy as well as a few other
thingstoo.) We didn't get much help in the way of a cure. The
desensitization shots some of you recommended contain a steroid
derivative that my future wife has had a bad reaction to previously.
The Dr. went back to suggesting some other prescription meds we've
already tried.

I'm afraid Tuggles and Midge have to go. Thanks for the suggestions
though. Sometimes it is just unavoidable (despite what some of the cat
disciples here suggested)

Bob.

Iam not sure there is a "cure" for allergies --- just control. They
seem to be hereditary and can be very complicated. It's kind of
like a bad hair day -- one day you have it and another day you don't.
Yesterday was a really bad day for me -- today seems pretty good so
far. Just let the wind come out of the west desert and I suffer.

Have you tried the kittywipes on the cats? Petsmart had a product
called Outright that really helped when I had Princess. I haven't
looked for it in quite a while. If you have to re-home your pets, I
hope you find them a good one.

I'm curious: what else was she tested for? Best of luck. MLB
Old September 16th 03, 01:22 AM
Mary

I'm afraid Tuggles and Midge have to go. Thanks for the suggestions
though. Sometimes it is just unavoidable (despite what some of the cat
disciples here suggested)

I had a boyfriend who was highly allergic to cats. This worked perfectly with
no medication. It will also get rid of her other allergies as well. If you get
rid of the cat and not the other allergens, what would be the point.

No rugs or carpeting, only hardwood floors, tile or linoleum. No drapes, fabric
furniture, only blinds, shutters, leather and wood furniture. Easy to wipe down
often to reduce dander and dust. You do the wiping and vaccuming for her.
You'll save time cleaning also.

You wash the cat once a month to reduce dander. Every day you wipe the cat with
a moist cloth to remove hair and dander. Kitty loves it.

Get an air purifier and keep the windows closed so dust, dander, pollen can't
come inside. Wipe surfaces down frequently for the same reason.

Don't ever let the cat in the bedroom. Don't let the cat sit where she sits all
the time such as the couch or her desk chair. Don't leave her sweater lying
around for them to sit on. Tell her to rinse her hands after touching the cat.

Check your house for other allergens. Is a sink leaking and you have mold and
mildew? I heard of a guy who euthanized his cat as he SWORE it was the cat. He
still had allergies...and extreme guilt. I'm allergic to cats also and this
works for me too. Just keep in mind she'll still have allergies outside of the
house as other people have cats and you can't stop dust and pollen.
Old September 16th 03, 03:20 AM
Robert Casey

Bob Avery wrote:

Well, we went to an allergist last week and although the allergy test
was conclusive (ragweed pollen is an allergy as well as a few other
thingstoo.) We didn't get much help in the way of a cure. The
desensitization shots some of you recommended contain a steroid
derivative that my future wife has had a bad reaction to previously.
The Dr. went back to suggesting some other prescription meds we've
already tried.

What about that perscription stuff advertised in that commercial where
the allergic guy
meets and married the cat person girl? The black and white commercial
that's
been playing lately. I don't remember what brand the stuff was, though....
Supposed to be good for cat dander allergies.

Old September 16th 03, 05:44 AM
m. L. Briggs

On 16 Sep 2003 00:22:07 GMT, pam (Mary) wrote:

[...]

You are so right. Years ago there was a book "The Allergic Child"
that gave all this information and more. No feather pillows, wash
bedding frequently, cover mattresses, etc. It also had info on food
allergies, as I remember.

The latest "thinking" on allergies is interesting -- children
raised in a too clean environment have more allergies because their
bodies don't produce antibodies.So, we have to live and learn, don't
we?

Old September 16th 03, 06:53 PM
Mary

What about that perscription stuff advertised in that commercial where
the allergic guy
meets and married the cat person girl?

Is that Flonase? That stuff does work. I've used it. There's also Claritin. I'm
also allergic to birds so when I visit a friend with birds, I just take one
sudafed before I go over. Otherwise I feel like I have the flu real bad.
Another good thing about sudafed is it gives you tons of energy and you don't
want to eat just like a diet pill. I bet if he told her wife to be about that
side effect, she'd love it.