Antihistamine for cats?

Old October 20th 05, 03:22 PM
cybercat

Default Antihistamine for cats?

"Wendy" wrote :

I always look forward to the first hard frost because that's when my own
allergies mostly stop or at least ease up considerably. It shouldn't be
too much longer now.

You and me both. I had a tickle in the back of my throat that was driving
me nuts and now it's just the blocked up sinus. Come on killing frost!

I've got a litter of fosters who have been sneezing occasionally. Not
enough to figure they have a full blown URI but just a couple of times a
day. Wonder if they have allergies?

I don't know how it is with kittens, but with my cat, as an allergy
sufferer it was easy to tell that is what she has. Her eyes water, she
looks grumpy, her nose stays wet from sneezing, and she scratches
a lot. Since we have addressed the food allergies and eliminated
dust and mold, (and since she gets the Depo Medrol shots) I
think this is a seasonal thing. When I notice these symptoms or
that she has scratched a little red spot into her ears, I use the
Chlortrimeton, but just one or two doses as I am afraid
of overmedicating her. It seems to help. I notice that she
scratches less.

Old October 20th 05, 06:44 PM
Karen

On 2005-10-19 10:37:05 -0500, 5cats said:

One of my cats apparently has allergies. I recall being told years

ago
that antihistamines didn't work in cats, but now I'm reading some
things that suggest that they do work. But I haven't found anything
very specific.
Are there veterinary antihistamines available or are people just using
human OTC antihistamines off-label? How do you get dosages small

enough
for a cat?

I was given some for one of my cats. I started her on it but she
stopped eating and though I don't believe it was connected ( I think
she was just stressed from the vet visit where we also found very full
anal sacks that were hard to express) I haven't started her up on them
yet. Plus, the weather got colder and we had a freeze which has helped.
So, I can't tell you if they work yet or not. My vet says it's about
50/50. I bought them from my vet. I can use anywhere from 1/4 of a
tablet up to 2 tablets per day she tells me. They were VERY cheap.

I always look forward to the first hard frost because that's when my
own allergies mostly stop or at least ease up considerably. It
shouldn't be too much longer now.
Could you post the name of the drug you have?

It says chlormeraphir on the label. I think it is some generic form of
Chloro-trimeton.

Old October 20th 05, 08:06 PM
Paul M. Cook

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message

"5cats" wrote in message
One of my cats apparently has allergies.

What kind of allergies?

I recall being told years ago
that antihistamines didn't work in cats, but now I'm reading some

things
that suggest that they do work. But I haven't found anything very
specific.

Are there veterinary antihistamines available or are people just

using
human OTC antihistamines off-label?

Yup. The most common antihistamine used in cats is cyproheptadine
(Periactin). Along with antihistamine/antipuritic effects, it's also

an
effective appetite stimulant and its also used in controlling urine
spraying.

Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is also sometimes used in cats before
vaccinations to prevent reactions to the vaccine.

Antihistamines also have a mild sedative effect in cats.

How do you get dosages small enough for
a cat?

Cut the pills in half or quarters. The 4 mg tablets are scored for

easy
cutting.

Phil, I think it important to add that cyproheptadine can have a very

strong
and long lasting sedative effect on cats.

I wouldn't say the sedative effects are "very strong and long lasting".
IMO, the sedative effects of cyproheptadine are rather mild and don't seem
to last very long in the majority of cats. I think the sedative effects

are
much more pronounced with Benadryl and especially Chlor-Trimeton. In

fact,
Chlor-Trimeton is actually used as mild sedative in cats.

Plus, at that dosage it seems to have no appetite stimulating benefit.

Your experience seems very different than mine. Cyproheptadine @ 2

mg/b.i.d.
is a very effective and fast acting- but short-acting appetite stimulant.
Its probably the most widely used appetite stimulate for cats- much more
preferable than prednisone.

It needs to be administered

cautiously and IMO starting at a quarter the dose the vet prescribes.

Cyproheptadine is a prescription drug- so I'm sure the vet knows the

proper
dose- which, btw, is usually 2 mg/b.i.d. or 1/2 of a 4 mg tablet.

My deceased cat Zipper and my cat Buddy both reacted poorly to it. They
were so zonked they didn't eat. Anyway, my advice was simply to start out
very low and see what the cat will tolerate. I'm sure it is perfectly safe
its just that in 2 cats I saw a very intense reaction to it that although
was not harmful, nevertheless it did not help them eat which was the idea
behind it in the first place.

As for dosage Zipper was initially prescribed a full tablet. He hardly
moved for 2 days afterwards. It was distressing. Buddy had the same
reaction on 1/4 tablet. Now if his liver acts up he gets an injection of
Azium. That seems to really help.

Paul

Old October 21st 05, 06:50 AM
Phil P.

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message

"5cats" wrote in message
[...]

Did you use a generic brand or the actual Periactin? Dispite what you may
have heard, generic formulations certainly do vary. The worst effect I've
seen were only mild and transient sedative effects and occasional
paradoxical agitated behavior in a few cats- and I've treated many cats with
cyproheptadine.

Were your cats taking any other medications? Some other drugs can produce a
synergistic sedative effect on the CNS when taken with cyproheptadine.
Also, some medications can cause partial or complete anorexia that can
override the appetite- stimulating effects of cyproheptadine.
Chemotherapeutic drugs almost always cause anorexia and frequently alter
smell and taste perceptions- which can utterly wipe out appetite. IIRC,
Zipper had cancer and was put on chemotherapy after the surgery to remove
the mass.

Cats are usually given appetite stimulants because an underlying disease is
causing anorexia. Cyproheptadine isn't a panacea and it won't 'cure' the
cause of the anorexia- it will only stimulate a cat's appetite unless the
underlying disease is serious enough to override the appetite- stimulating
effects, (e.g., cancer cachexia, hepatic lipidosis or other liver diseases).

I don't think the sedative effects were as profound as they may have seemed
to you. OTOH, they could have been the result of a combination of the
effects of the underlying disease and/or other medications. As I said, I've
treated many cats with cyproheptadine and I haven't seen the profound
effects you've described when the drug is administered at the normally
prescribed doses.

Anyway, my advice was simply to start out
very low and see what the cat will tolerate.

Since cyproheptadine is a prescription drug, I think people should follow
their vet's prescribing instructions rather than arbitrarily changing the
dose based on an exceptional case of side effects rather than the norm.
Cyproheptadine is prescribed to most cats to jump start their appetite
because they haven't been eating for awhile. Thus, I think its wiser to
begin therapy with the normal dose- to get the cat eating again and taper
the dose if the sedative effects seem unpleasant. The consequences of
anorexia in cats are more severe than mild sedation. It boils down to the
risk-to-benefit ratio. In the case of anorexia, the benefits of
cyproheptadine greatly outweigh the risks.

I'm sure it is perfectly safe
its just that in 2 cats I saw a very intense reaction to it that although
was not harmful, nevertheless it did not help them eat which was the idea
behind it in the first place.

As I said, cyproheptadine will only stimulate a cat's appetite unless the
underlying disease is serious enough to override the appetite- stimulating
effects- it won't 'cure' the cause of the anorexia.

As for dosage Zipper was initially prescribed a full tablet. He hardly
moved for 2 days afterwards. It was distressing.

4 mg b.i.d. is at the high-end of the dosing schedule and could produce a
more pronounced sedative effect.

Buddy had the same
reaction on 1/4 tablet. Now if his liver acts up he gets an injection of
Azium. That seems to really help.

Dexamethasone is about 10x more potent than prednisone. What type of liver
disease does Buddy have that requires such a potent drug?

Old October 21st 05, 10:18 PM
5cats

Phil P. wrote:

"5cats" wrote in message
Phil P. wrote:

"5cats" wrote in message
One of my cats apparently has allergies.

What kind of allergies?

Don't know. She's overgroomed to the point of creating a small raw
patch on her tummy. (Is that what they call a "hot spot"?)
Considering the time of year it could be seasonal. This also
corresponds to a change in diet from dry K/D to K/D canned. There's
also a new cat bed she uses which smells funny to me. "catnip
treated" it said on the tag. Also, I stopped using my room air filter
for my own allergies in the same timeframe.

It might be behavioral- stress-related rather than pathologic - i.e.,
"psychogenic alopecia". OTOH, I've known many cats that were just
plain itchy! and no medical or behavioral cause of the itching and
excessive grooming could be found. The first step is a thorough
physical exam to rule out medical causes. I wouldn't advise giving
her any drugs- even OTC without consulting a vet. I know you know
that, but I had to say it.

[...]

Even 1/4 is a larger dosage than I would have guessed for a 12 pound
cat.

I've used 1/2 of a tab in cats that weighed as little 5# with no
significant adverse effects. If your vet does prescribe 1/2 or 1/4 tab
of cyproheptadine or any other tablet, put it inside a #2 or #3
gelcap- it masks the taste and eliminates the risk of the sharp edges
of the cut tablet cutting or irritating the esophagus. Follow the
gelcap with canned food or tuna water to make sure it goes all the way
down.

Phil

I spoke with the vet this afternoon and she said that in her experience
antihistamines often don't work all that well for allergies in cats, but
we are still going to give it a trial. 1/2 tablet Chlortrimaton 2x a day.

I just gave it to Pookie, crushed and mixed in with a tablespoon of
turkey baby food. (Since I had a jar of it around with no other use for
it right now.)

Old October 22nd 05, 12:25 AM
cybercat

"5cats" wrote

I've used 1/2 of a tab in cats that weighed as little 5# with no
significant adverse effects. If your vet does prescribe 1/2 or 1/4 tab
of cyproheptadine or any other tablet, put it inside a #2 or #3
gelcap- it masks the taste and eliminates the risk of the sharp edges
of the cut tablet cutting or irritating the esophagus. Follow the
gelcap with canned food or tuna water to make sure it goes all the way
down.

Phil

I spoke with the vet this afternoon and she said that in her experience
antihistamines often don't work all that well for allergies in cats, but
we are still going to give it a trial. 1/2 tablet Chlortrimaton 2x a day.

I just gave it to Pookie, crushed and mixed in with a tablespoon of
turkey baby food. (Since I had a jar of it around with no other use for
it right now.)

So your vet agreed with my vet, at least as far as which antihistamine to
use. Interesting. Whether it works or not probably depends on the cat.
Even with humans the same medicine does not work the same on
different people. Let us know how it works out.

Old October 23rd 05, 12:03 AM
Paul M. Cook

"Phil P." wrote in message

"5cats" wrote in message
[...]

He had a benign thymoma in his chest the size of a golf ball and it was
removed. Simultaneously he was developing colon cancer (lymphoma) which
went undiagnosed due to the tumor - nobody thought to look for another
illness. So then he was started on the chemo but he had a PEG tube until
the final 2 weeks of his life. He was put on cyproheptadine previously when
he stopped eating and wasted after a bathing at a groomer but that was 7
years earlier. The drug didn't help then.

[...]

Buddy has a compromised liver due to injury most likely from ingesting
tainted water when he was living feral. Plus he is hyperthyroid and that
too affects his liver. He has also had cholangeohepatitus with very yellow
serum. So his liver is a mess and must be monitored often. It flairs up
from time to time and he goes off his food. The worst spell he had resulted
in 5 days of IV fluids and a shot of Azium to get him eating again. It
worked wonders and did not have the adverse affect of the sleepiness.

Paul

Old October 23rd 05, 08:26 PM
5cats

cybercat wrote:

"5cats" wrote

[...]

Well, she caught on to the baby food trick, or she just doesn't like
refrigerated and re-warmed baby food. Not much change to report yet, she
slept soundly for 2 to 3 hours after the first does, but woke in time for
dinner and has been normally active since then. She does have a huge
appetite, I'm really going to have to watch her sneaking off to the other
cats plates after her own is cleaned off, she's already a bit heavy, she
sure doesn't need to put on any more weight. I can pill her normally,
but she gets tired of that and then starts to mistrust me whenever I
appoach her so I'm going to try these Pill Pockets treats next.

Old October 25th 05, 05:24 AM
Phil P.

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message

"5cats" wrote in message
[...]

I'm really sorry to hear that he's having such a tough time.

I now understand why cyproheptadine didn't help his appetite. I'm sure
psychological disturbances associated with his liver condition overrode the
appetite-stimulating effects of cyproheptadine. I'm also fairly certain
that his illness-induced depression intensified the mild sedative effects of
cypro. So, I can understand why you don't like cypro.

In his case, the antiinflammation properties of dexamethasone coupled with
the appetite-stimulating properties was probably a better choice.

Old November 5th 05, 12:40 AM
5cats

cybercat wrote:

"5cats" wrote

[...]

So far, so good. She's let the sores on her tummy heal completely. And it
looks like maybe she's letting some of the fur grow back.