Is canned chicken broth okay for cats?

Old December 3rd 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default Is canned chicken broth okay for cats?

Matthew wrote:

Onions and onion powder are not and I REPEAT NOT OK for cats it can cause
serious problems

Food items that potentially could be dangerous to pets include onions, onion
powder, chocolate (bakers, semi sweet, milk, dark), alcoholic beverages,
yeast dough, coffee (grounds, beans, chocolate covered espresso beans, tea
(caffeine), salt, macadamia nuts, hops (used in home beer brewing), tomato
leaves and stems (green parts), tomato leaves and stems (green parts),
rhubarb leaves, avocados (toxic to birds, mice, rabbits, horses, cattle, and
dairy goats)

Are you sure about avocados being toxic to birds?
Apparently no one told the birds in the Los Angeles
neighborhood where I had access to an avocado tree - the
tree-ripened ones showed plenty of evidence of attention
from birds!
Old December 3rd 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

Matthew wrote:
Onions and onion powder are not and I REPEAT NOT OK for cats it can cause
serious problems

Thanks. That's all I needed to know. She should keep the leftovers
away from the cats.

Food items that potentially could be dangerous to pets include onions, onion
powder, chocolate (bakers, semi sweet, milk, dark), alcoholic beverages,
yeast dough, coffee (grounds, beans, chocolate covered espresso beans, tea

yeast dough? *snicker* Like poor, poor Jasper? *snort*

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita (who doesn't eat any people food)

Old December 3rd 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bridget

What's more, is the effect with chocolate is cumulative over an animals
life, it collects in the liver and slowly poisons the liver so a dose
now, even in dogs may not be bad, but over time a dose here and a dose
there can add up to a bad amount.

Bridget

Gandalf wrote:
On 01 Dec 2006 22:42:50 GMT, wrote:

gracecat wrote:

Depends on the chocolate Dewi
White chocolate is perfectly fine, minus the sugar, milk solids and etc. But
the cacoa toxin isn't present.

That's because white chocolate isn't chocolate at all. I don't know what
it is, but I'm sure someone who does know will say what it is. All I
know is that it really has nothing to do with chocolate, so I'm not surprised
that it's safe(r) for pets.

Joyce

The substance in chocolate that's toxic to cats and dogs (and likely
other critters I'm not aware of) is theobromine, or by it's IUPAC name:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione. (There will be a quiz
later...).

It's what makes chocolate addictive to humans. It tends to be a 'mood
elevator', but very mild compared to controlled substances.

Because cats are so small, relatively small amounts of chocolate,
especially dark chocolate, can cause seizures and death.

Since some cats and dogs will try just about any 'human food', even if
it's smell doesn't necessarily appeal to them, chocolate should always
be kept away from cats and dogs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Robert Heinlein

Life is very difficult. Once you understand that, life becomes easier.
-Buddha

Old December 3rd 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Dewi wrote:
I read an article on chocolate and dogs and the study reported that
dogs require large doses of chocolate for an adverse reaction (other
than gaining weight). In regards to avocados and mice, it's the skin
that's toxic, the flesh is fine. I regularly feed avocados to my mice
and rats, minus the skin.

Dewi

My lovebird, Peaches, can die in a matter of hours if she ingests avocado.
Flesh, skin, doesn't matter. Avocado is toxic to her species. I follow the
advice of my veterinarian rather than something I read in a book or online.
Fortunately for me, I don't find avocados (nor guacamole) all that
interesting so I don't buy them. I'm also not a fan of chocolate

Jill

Old December 3rd 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Onions and onion powder are not and I REPEAT NOT OK for cats it can
cause serious problems

Food items that potentially could be dangerous to pets include
onions, onion powder, chocolate (bakers, semi sweet, milk, dark),
alcoholic beverages, yeast dough, coffee (grounds, beans, chocolate
covered espresso beans, tea (caffeine), salt, macadamia nuts, hops
(used in home beer brewing), tomato leaves and stems (green parts),
tomato leaves and stems (green parts), rhubarb leaves, avocados
(toxic to birds, mice, rabbits, horses, cattle, and dairy goats)

Are you sure about avocados being toxic to birds?
Apparently no one told the birds in the Los Angeles
neighborhood where I had access to an avocado tree - the
tree-ripened ones showed plenty of evidence of attention
from birds!

Depends on the species. Peaches is a Fischer lovebird and the vet told me NO
NO NO to avocados. I don't particularly like avocados so that wasn't a
problem for me. She adores apples (but only Gala apples) and carrots and
celery and kale and spinach. I don't care much for kale but I buy it just
for her. It's got a lot of the vitamins she needs.

I tried fresh corn on the cob but she's not really into that. She pecked at
it but it was not a big winner She also gets millet spray and flax seed
as snacks. Peaches is a happy, healthy lovebird. And Persia, for some
reason, likes to hang out and meatloaf next to the stand where her cage is.
She never bothers Peaches, although on rare occasions sometimes she stands
on her hind legs and peers into the cage to look at her.

The last time I boarded both of them in October, I was told while they were
cleaning out her kennel someone left the door to the cat room open. Persia
wandered out and went straight to the grooming room where they keep Peaches.
Aha! A tracker cat! She had to see for herself Peaches was there, too
How sweet!

Jill

Old December 4th 06, 09:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dewi

jmcquown wrote:
Dewi wrote:
I read an article on chocolate and dogs and the study reported that
dogs require large doses of chocolate for an adverse reaction (other
than gaining weight). In regards to avocados and mice, it's the skin
that's toxic, the flesh is fine. I regularly feed avocados to my mice
and rats, minus the skin.

Dewi

My lovebird, Peaches, can die in a matter of hours if she ingests avocado.
Flesh, skin, doesn't matter. Avocado is toxic to her species. I follow the
advice of my veterinarian rather than something I read in a book or online.
Fortunately for me, I don't find avocados (nor guacamole) all that
interesting so I don't buy them. I'm also not a fan of chocolate

Jill

I saw on a TV pet show on that avacado was toxic to parrots. It's
unfortunate that wild birds eat it.

Dewi.

Old December 4th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jason

On a related note, I know that sunflower oil is very bad indeed for
cats but what about other oils? Specifically, my cat gets very
interested when I fry some chicken in olive oil (admittedly the only
one I use) but I keep a spare pack of ham if she looks like she's
getting too close to my dinner.
Matthew wrote:
Onions and onion powder are not and I REPEAT NOT OK for cats it can cause
serious problems

Food items that potentially could be dangerous to pets include onions, onion
powder, chocolate (bakers, semi sweet, milk, dark), alcoholic beverages,
yeast dough, coffee (grounds, beans, chocolate covered espresso beans, tea
(caffeine), salt, macadamia nuts, hops (used in home beer brewing), tomato
leaves and stems (green parts), tomato leaves and stems (green parts),
rhubarb leaves, avocados (toxic to birds, mice, rabbits, horses, cattle, and
dairy goats), cigarettes, cigars, snuff, chewing tobacco, moldy or spoiled
foods.

Onions
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.
http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1108

Onions contain a compound which is toxic to the red blood cells of
cats. The red blood cells are destroyed and this results in anemia. The
specific type of anemia is called 'Heinz body anemia' because the red cells
develop an abnormality called a 'Heinz body' which can be seen under the
microscope.

In the past, when a cat would not eat, baby foods were sometimes used
to coax the cat to eat. Unfortunately, the baby foods contained onion
powder, and some cats developed Heinz body anemia from eating the
onion-containing baby food. Caution should be used in feeding 'human' food
to cats because it may contain ingredients that cats cannot tolerate, such
as onion.

Garlic contains a compound similar to the one in onions that causes
Heinz body anemia, however, the garlic compound is much less toxic.

http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/...dInterest=1101

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...cc_toxic_onion

http://www.aspca.org/site/Search?query=onion&inc=10

http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/...pdf?docID=2082

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/pr...s_to_pets.html

"Jane" wrote in message
ups.com...
I remember reading the onions are all that good for cats, and one of my
friends was thinking about making something with canned chicken broth.
Are the leftovers okay for the cat? She was worried about hurting them.
We both know that onions and carrots and celery are used in the making
of a real chicken stock/broth, but is it enough to hurt the cats? It
never occurred to me, since none of my cats (so far) ate people food.
Her cats do.

Old December 4th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jason wrote:

On a related note, I know that sunflower oil is very bad indeed for
cats but what about other oils? Specifically, my cat gets very
interested when I fry some chicken in olive oil (admittedly the only
one I use) but I keep a spare pack of ham if she looks like she's
getting too close to my dinner.

Actually, ham (and other "cured" meat) is not good for cats,
either - it can cause intestinal inflamations. I just don't
feed mine ANY "people" food (barring the juice from
water-pack canned fish, on rare occasions). Fortunately, my
current crop don't seem much interested in anything but cat
food and treats, so it's not a problem.

Bubba's Canned Food Impressions Claude V. Lucas Cat health & behaviour 2 August 13th 06 11:08 PM
[OT] Recipe needed Pat Cat anecdotes 22 June 28th 06 07:05 AM
Acceptable canned foods (thanks Phil, others please add) AlexZ Cat health & behaviour 8 March 1st 06 05:58 PM
Chicken Soup Canned Food Fat Freddy Cat health & behaviour 2 January 30th 04 12:13 AM