Might as well just buy the cheap stuff.

Old March 22nd 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lis

Default Might as well just buy the cheap stuff.

On Mar 21, 2:39 pm, Patty wrote:
On 20 Mar 2007 12:55:39 -0700, Lis wrote:

This makes no sense. Pressuring them to drop Menu NOW, sure; issuing a
commercial "death penalty" for having trusted a supplier who has
previously always been reliable is nuts. And unless you're prepared to
feed your cat whole ground mouse, you're going to have a tough time
putting together a diet for her that's as balanced and complete as a
premium commercial food.

Lis

I've always wondered about this. My Rusty was a born hunter, having been
descended from generations of farm cats, and he always preferred what he
caught to any canned or bagged food on the market. That said, he is now
16, a wee bit slow on his feet so he doesn't catch what he hunts so much
anymore (when he does hunt). Anyhow, until this point in time, he has been
the healthiest of cats even though his diet consisted more of wildlife than
any commercial food product. So, are there better nutrients in wildlife
than say, grocery store chicken? Rusty has never had any problems with
hairballs either, I don't recall him ever throwing any up, and he's a
domestic long hair. I read once that the rougage the big wild cats get
from eating bones and such, takes care of their need for any type of
hairball treatment.

Oh, and he always liked the mice heads best.

Patty

When Rusty eats a mouse, he eats the whole mouse--a complete and
balanced meal for a cat.

When you feed him grocery store chicken, you feed him parts. Not the
whole thing, not the parts humans find disgusting, and not the
contents of the chicken's stomach when it died. You can cook for you
cat, but you need to remember that your intincts about what's
nutritious (and tasty and appetizing, but especially nutritious) are
wrong, because cats are the only domestic animal that's an obligate
carnivore. There ARE some good cookbooks out there that can give you
good guidance, but it's a lot of work, and most people simply aren't
willing to both do all the work, and ignore their instincts in the
cause of doing it right. (I'd post the titles of those cookbooks if I
still had any of them; sorry!)

Just cooking chicken for your cat, even including organ meats, is
simply not as good as a well-tested, premium commercial food, that's
been carefully developed to both provide a healthy diet for the cat,
AND not be too disgusting-smelling when opened for people to buy it a
second time. (Really. Every so often some company gets as far as
limited market-testing of whole ground mouse. Even true cat lovers
don't open that second can.)

Lis

Old March 22nd 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

What I don't get is those who feed their cats a raw meat diet. This could
potentially make your cat sick with salmonella or other harmful bacteria. At
least with canned food it's been processed.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"Lis" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old March 22nd 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Thu, 22 Mar 2007 17:40:54 GMT, "Cat Protector"
wrote:

What I don't get is those who feed their cats a raw meat diet. This
could potentially make your cat sick with salmonella or other harmful
bacteria. At least with canned food it's been processed.

Well you could do your homework (think: Google) and then you would learn
why salmonella and "other harmful bacteria" aren't harmful to cats.

Just a thought.

--
Lynne
Old March 22nd 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

You will find most vets will also say the same thing. Feeding your cat a raw
diet is doing more harm than good.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
m...

Old March 22nd 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Mar 21, 1:39 pm, Patty wrote:

Oh, and he always liked the mice heads best.

Patty

Well, the way I understand it, mouse brains are "nutritious and
delicious." IIRC, that's the main source of taurine.

Sherry

Old March 22nd 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Mar 22, 12:40 pm, "Cat Protector" wrote:
What I don't get is those who feed their cats a raw meat diet. This could
potentially make your cat sick with salmonella or other harmful bacteria. At
least with canned food it's been processed.

Well, there's a lot more to it than hacking up raw meat and throwing
to the cats. Feeding a raw diet *can* be done right, but just like
commercial cat food, there's a formula to follow. It takes a lot of
dedication to do it right. Bacteria isn't an issue if safe-handling
guidelines are followed.
I wouldn't ever do it. It's a lot of work, and very expensive.

Sherry

Old March 22nd 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Thu, 22 Mar 2007 20:04:06 GMT, "Sherry" wrote:

Well, there's a lot more to it than hacking up raw meat and throwing
to the cats. Feeding a raw diet *can* be done right, but just like
commercial cat food, there's a formula to follow. It takes a lot of
dedication to do it right. Bacteria isn't an issue if safe-handling
guidelines are followed.
I wouldn't ever do it. It's a lot of work, and very expensive.

I'd buy canned mice for my cats (heck, I buy dead frozen mice for the
snake), but I'll bet chasing them down and killing them is half the fun of
consuming them. I imagine that if some bold company were to can mice,
they'd still have to do something to it in order to make it more appealing
to kitties.

--
Lynne
Old March 23rd 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail Futoran

"Lynne" wrote in message
[...]

My former neighborhood stray, Melosa,
managed on her own for close to a year,
at best guess, including feeding a litter
(presumably her first). I'm in a rural area
and I'm guessing she dined mostly on
field mice. She is now the least picky
eater of my cats, whether Wellness or
Fancy Feast or Science Diet. This is the
cat I intended to TNR but who wouldn't
leave the house after I brought her home
from the vet. I think she's one who might
disagree with you that it's fun to chase
one's food. Now my pampered
purebred Tonks, that's a different matter!

Serious question about canned food: I'd
changed from 100% dry to at least one daily
feeding of canned (two daily feddings for
the kittens until they reach about 9 months)
after starting to read this newsgroup several
years ago.

None of the cats (except Melosa) will eat
much of the canned, preferring dry, but
I've persisted. Now I'm wondering if I
should forget the canned until this whole
recall business is concluded.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Gail F.

Old March 23rd 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Cat Whisperer[_2_]

You are doing the right thing... keep it up, Wellness is great and is my
cat's fav.
They should have wet food as well as dry, so avoid the bad stuff and stick
with The GOOD stuff... Wellness, Natural Balance, .....

Old March 23rd 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 23 Mar 2007 00:00:06 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

Serious question about canned food: I'd
changed from 100% dry to at least one daily
feeding of canned (two daily feddings for
the kittens until they reach about 9 months)
after starting to read this newsgroup several
years ago.

None of the cats (except Melosa) will eat
much of the canned, preferring dry, but
I've persisted. Now I'm wondering if I
should forget the canned until this whole
recall business is concluded.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

It may be paranoia on both our parts, but I've had the same thoughts. Now
that I know Innova Evo is a Menu Food product, I'm not going to serve
anymore wet until I'm absolutely certain it's safe. I've only used 1 can
out of the last case I purchased, so I really don't have a high level of
comfort based on any "well it hasn't hurt them yet" experiences...

--
Lynne