Steatitis

Old July 29th 03, 02:55 AM
Betsy

Oh, I am SO VERY VERY GLAD you are going to another vet.

Cats are very resilient. They can tolerate a lot, and will recover just to
be "with you". I've seen my cats recover from horrible things many times,
apparently to please me. Please give Bubba a chance! And do keep us
posted.

"Steve Gass" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:03:45 +0000, buglady wrote:

Oh, how awful, I'm so sorry. I know you won't feel up to answering

questions
now, but was this a complication of the steatitis? Is there any

chance of
saving him?

Yes, it is apparently a result of the steatitis. After much thought, and
discussing it with my wife, we've decided to seek a second opinion. These

vets
explained that they can excise the tissue, leaving an open wound of 5 - 6"

in
diameter, and involving a very long, difficult and painful recovery, if

recovery
is even possible. We can't put him through that.

It was a nice day, so I took him outside and sat with him, figuring that a

dirty
environment could do him no more harm. He rolled in the grass, then laid

on his
back, purring and kneading the air as I skritched his chin and rubbed his

ears.
Overnight, the open area had become genuinely appalling, but we can't give

up
just yet. I spoke to another vet, who doesn't see why there wouldn't be

enough
skin to at least mostly close the wound after excision, which would give

Bubba a
chance of living in enough comfort to give recovery a shot.

At this point there is, of course, no way of knowing how far the gangrene

has
spread. If organs are involved then there truly is no hope, but if it's

still
limited to the fat pad, and if the skin can be closed, he may have a

chance. I
have another appointment tomorrow morning, and will see what a different

vet has
to say. Thanks again.

Steve

Old July 29th 03, 04:37 AM
Liz

Steve, very very sorry to hear that. Is your cat diabetic?
Old July 29th 03, 04:37 AM
Liz

Steve, very very sorry to hear that. Is your cat diabetic?
Old July 29th 03, 11:05 AM
buglady

"Steve Gass" wrote in message
news I spoke to another vet, who doesn't see why there wouldn't be enough
skin to at least mostly close the wound after excision, which would give

Bubba a
chance of living in enough comfort to give recovery a shot.

........I'm glad you're checking in with another vet. Hope your kitty
recovers.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old July 29th 03, 10:10 PM
Steve Gass

Well. We just got back from our new vet, and it was quite an eye-opening
experience. We saw an outstanding feline vet, who says that the surgery itself,
while a rather radical excision of the entire fat pad, would be quite
recoverable.

However (big however), he is concerned about the _anemia_, about which we had
previously known nothing. He diagnosed anemia first by the color of Bubba's
gums, etc. and confirmed it by looking at _the bloodwork done by the first vet_.
This has never been mentioned to us as being an issue. Perhaps they assumed that
it was a result of Bubba's condition at the time.

The leukemia test was negative, thank God, but he has ordered another workup to
try to determine the cause of the anemia before we proceed with surgery. In
addition to reducing the chances of survival, there wouldn't be much point to it
if something else is killing Bubba.

His blood sugar was a little high on the last test - 160 - although nobody has
yet classified him as diabetic. I am curious to see what the level is now that
he's eating more like a carnivore should, rather than the "balanced diet" we've
always been told to feed him. It could be that the lack of real carnivore food
might have caused the anemia in the first place, which is the likely cause of
the gangrene.

I also wonder if the steatitis did clear up weeks ago, and what I've seen since
then was merely gangrene setting in. A number of you have tried to tell me that
it wasn't the steatitis, for which I thank you again, but the vet told me that
it was. "No sign of infection," indeed.

I will update tomorrow. Once again, thanks to all!

Steve

Old July 29th 03, 10:22 PM
Arjun Ray

In , "Steve Gass"
wrote:

| Well. We just got back from our new vet, and it was quite an
| eye-opening experience.

Nothing like a second opinion!

| His blood sugar was a little high on the last test - 160 - although
| nobody has yet classified him as diabetic.

It could have been high due to stress, such as the vet visit. What is
the reference range associated with the 160 number?

Old July 29th 03, 10:22 PM
Arjun Ray

Old July 30th 03, 12:30 AM
Dee

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Steve Gass wrote:

he's eating more like a carnivore should, rather than the "balanced diet" we've
always been told to feed him. It could be that the lack of real carnivore food
might have caused the anemia in the first place, which is the likely cause of
the gangrene.

I think you're absolutely right Steve. I come more and more to believe
that the crap we're lead to believe is good for our animals is causing
more ailments than we can possibly imagine. All the best to you and
Bubba. I know what you're going through. Hang in there.

Dee