Caring about wild cats

Old November 3rd 09, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

Default Caring about wild cats

"harry" wrote in message
On Oct 29, 9:46 pm, "Mark Earnest" wrote:
How much do you have to pay to keep from feeding your cat
animal digest (ughh!)?

I am helping the neighborhood cats out right now...and there are a lot
of them...and I refuse to feed them animal manure as seem to be in all the
dry food I have come across!

Anyone know of any clean dry cat foods that don't cost too much, so I can
help out more wild neighborhood cats?

Mark

Hello,

For my barn kitties i purchase whole chickens (when on sale), or
turkey; cook them; freeze them, and about every three days or so throw
whole, frozen bird to the pride. This way even the weak, injured,
sick, worm-eaten, pregnant and kittens get a bite, because the whole
bird itis too heavy for the stronger ones to carry it away. They have
their dry "sht" food in a self-feed container 24 hours a day, and if
they want to eat it, that it is their problem. I usually get the (now
up to) $12.00 a bag food, but am considering getting cheaper food so
that i donot die of starvation.

As far as "population" . . . think Pneumonic and Bubonic Plague. Had
it not been for the Maltese kitty imported by some wise gentlemen, the
entire white race wouldhave been wiped out by the BLACK PLAGUE:
Something is attracting the growing pride to your neighborhood, and
itis usually garbage cans in-mass, in a crowded neighborhood . . .
hello, RATS/INFECTED FLEAS. Also let us think about when the
terrorists dump off a ship-load of BlackPlague-infected, flea-infested
mice and rats all along our shores to kill us, the way the Maltese cat
was done to save us from our own stupidity. In England etc. they had
begun to over-breed their kitties to be too big and beautiful to be
able to fit into areas where rodents live, thus couldnot kill the
infected rats and mice. The rat population grew and grew, thus the
fleas, thus the Pneumonic and Bubonic Plague. Speaking of bullsht and
hinny flue: is it really the "flu" infecting us right now - last count
1,000 dead? No hinny flu shots available? Really?

Usually in a pride, one male will chase away all the other males;
inbreeding causes weakness and nature does the rest, which is called
SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST and there is nothing wrong with that, and that
is called MotherNature.

I feel kitties are God's most favorite animal on His Earth, or else
why would there be so many happy kitties?

I like dead chickens better than dead kitties, soooooo, keep on a
trucken the dead chickens to the live kitties and be happy.

For the rest of you . . . go feed a chicken and barbaque a kitty.

Truly

Truth will set you free according to Jesus in John 8:32

PS in Guam they eat delicious kitties - donot knock it until you try
it - just wait until the kittyfur coat comes back - just one Cat-
scratch-fevour-infected kitty carrier can eliminate your entire
pride . . . here today gone tomorrow . . . now tell me agian, God
doesnot know what He is doing . . .

**I've got one male cat daddy, one female cat momma, and one of their
mutual litter, still half adult size.

And they get along great.

They're all wild cats, and the dad looks the most beat up, having
only one eye...he must have lost the other one in a fight.

I can't resist feeding them. They just show their gratitude so well,
through means I still cannot put into words correctly enough to give
it justice.

Good luck on your farm.

Mark

Old November 3rd 09, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"jmc" wrote in message
Suddenly, without warning, Mark Earnest exclaimed (11/2/2009 12:07 AM):
"Kelly Greene" wrote in message
"Mark Earnest" wrote in message
netamerica...
"jmc" wrote in message
Not really. What tends to happen is they overpopulate terribly, then
die off in droves from diseases caused and easily spread by
overpopulation and sickness when the food supply cannot support the
population.
I just can't see this. There are animals all over the world living
just fine
in their given environments. Especially protected animals, like our
cats.
But they're not "artificially" fed which both allows and encourages
reproduction you don't see in native or natural populations.

You seem to think that if a male cat sees a sexy female cat, he has
to make kitties.

Not the case.

I just put food out for a female mother cat (9 Lives canned), and even
though she ate very little today, she turned it down, out of respect.

Cats have *much* self control.

ha! My cat refuses 9 lives too, has nothing to do with self control - she
just hates the stuff.

You don't think she meant it for the less fortunate alley cats?
She just may have, you know. Maybe some animals only take what they need.

Mama cats will give up food for her kittens. If her kittens weren't
there, she could be refusing food because she is sick. If she is sick,
your feral population might already be controlling itself.

I hope you eventually learn that though cats and other animals are a lot
smarter than we give them credit for, and IMHO do have the same emotions
as people, they do not have the same motivations and thought processes.

I always looked at populations of creatures collectively, as if they all
get together and do a mutual thing for the benefit of the whole.

Kind of like some of us do come election day.

Understanding the animals that share our lives, not just cats, but horses,
dogs, and the lot, is key to a good relationship with them, but it is
important to understand how they think, how they see things from THEIR
POINT OF VIEW, not ours - that's anthropomorphizing, and that's what
you're doing.

Well, the writers of cartoons like Garfield have been successful and made
good money off of anthropomorphizing cats for a long time,
so there must be something to it.

I trained my cat, but wasn't any good at it when I would ascribe human
thought processes to her reactions. Once I understood the world, however
imperfectly, from her point of view, my ability to train her improved
tremendously.

Cats are like us, but are also alien to us in many ways IMHO.

No, not tricks, just things like asking permission to be on my lap (I'm a
small person and Meep + reading material doesn't fit), not to bother me
when I'm eating (and no begging), and not to wake me up before the alarm
goes off in the morning. And, of course "No!" or her name in that certain
tone of voice - you know the one, when you mother says your full name
(First Middle Last!)

By the way, she says Good Morning, just joined me here, the front window
is sunny. No, actually, what she's saying is "please feed me"

Off to do as she commands!

Cat power! No wonder groups of them are called prides.
They are top of the food chain.

Mark

Old November 3rd 09, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

Default obvious troll

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...
I don't know why you all are arguing with an obvious troll.
He is just playing I am a intelligent person, high and mighty routine to
take it to a different path.

If he is not a troll than he is a very ignorant person that is enjoying
the attention you are giving him.

Move on folks you can't fix Stupid. I gave him a rating of -3

I'm just going against the grain, against the system.
And you are going with it?
What has the system ever done for you?

Old November 3rd 09, 05:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message
netamerica...

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message
netamerica...

Nature supports cats until it no longer allows reproduction, and the
cat understands this.

But as long as they're artificially fed and living outdoors, there's
nothing to stop their reproduction. Nothing that is unless disease
steps in.

You don't have much faith in cats. Most of the other wild animals
of the world manage their respective populations just fine, including
the great cats.

House cats are domestic animals, not wild animals.

Not so. I see many a successful feline predator.

Where are you seeing them and what are they preying on? Birds? Cats are not
native to America. In areas where roaming cats are common the number and
variety of birds are lower than neighborhoods that don't have large numbers
of strays.

In the wild, disease,
accidents and predation keeps their numbers under control. If you really
cared about cats you wouldn't that to happen to them. Having faith in a
domestic animal to avoid accidents, disease and predation is absurd.

Old November 3rd 09, 05:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

"jmc" wrote in message

ha! My cat refuses 9 lives too, has nothing to do with self control -
she just hates the stuff.

You don't think she meant it for the less fortunate alley cats?
She just may have, you know. Maybe some animals only take what they need.

How would she know about less fortunate alley cats? Where are you getting
these ideas from?

I hope you eventually learn that though cats and other animals are a lot
smarter than we give them credit for, and IMHO do have the same emotions
as people, they do not have the same motivations and thought processes.

I always looked at populations of creatures collectively, as if they all
get together and do a mutual thing for the benefit of the whole.

Which is irrelevant to what's being discussed. Unnaturally fed cats will
reproduce and eventually end up in a shelter. That's the bottom line.

Understanding the animals that share our lives, not just cats, but
horses, dogs, and the lot, is key to a good relationship with them, but
it is important to understand how they think, how they see things from
THEIR POINT OF VIEW, not ours - that's anthropomorphizing, and that's
what you're doing.

Well, the writers of cartoons like Garfield have been successful and made
good money off of anthropomorphizing cats for a long time,
so there must be something to it.

Are we talking about businesses and cartoons, or real live cats?

By the way, she says Good Morning, just joined me here, the front window
is sunny. No, actually, what she's saying is "please feed me"

Off to do as she commands!

Cat power! No wonder groups of them are called prides.
They are top of the food chain.

Not here in the USA. Roaming housecats and strays become dinner for red and
blue fox, coyotes, large hawks.........

Mark

Old November 3rd 09, 05:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

[...]

In my city, all through my life I have witnessed cats killing and eating
birds, squirrels, and rodents. They also have been known to eat
lizards and fish.

Cats are not
native to America.

Niether are most people. Cats in America are still wild, because they live
by their wits in a hostile territory. I say hostile, because they are
hunted
by "merciful" people and euthanized.

In areas where roaming cats are common the number and
variety of birds are lower than neighborhoods that don't have large
numbers of strays.

Of course. Cats are skillled hunters. Just as in Africa.

Old November 3rd 09, 05:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"jmc" wrote in message

ha! My cat refuses 9 lives too, has nothing to do with self control -
she just hates the stuff.

You don't think she meant it for the less fortunate alley cats?
She just may have, you know. Maybe some animals only take what they
need.

How would she know about less fortunate alley cats?

You would think that one cat would be aware of the other cats in the
neighborhood, wouldn't you?

Where are you getting
these ideas from?

Just from observing cats and daring to think in ways that make sense, at the
risk of being called a troll.

Most people would never take such a risk.

I hope you eventually learn that though cats and other animals are a lot
smarter than we give them credit for, and IMHO do have the same emotions
as people, they do not have the same motivations and thought processes.

I always looked at populations of creatures collectively, as if they all
get together and do a mutual thing for the benefit of the whole.

Which is irrelevant to what's being discussed. Unnaturally fed cats will
reproduce and eventually end up in a shelter. That's the bottom line.

That is our fault for putting them where they will be killed.
We need to stop that.

Understanding the animals that share our lives, not just cats, but
horses, dogs, and the lot, is key to a good relationship with them, but
it is important to understand how they think, how they see things from
THEIR POINT OF VIEW, not ours - that's anthropomorphizing, and that's
what you're doing.

Well, the writers of cartoons like Garfield have been successful and made
good money off of anthropomorphizing cats for a long time,
so there must be something to it.

Are we talking about businesses and cartoons, or real live cats?

Real live cats.

We make cats like us when we treat them that way.

By the way, she says Good Morning, just joined me here, the front window
is sunny. No, actually, what she's saying is "please feed me"

Off to do as she commands!

Cat power! No wonder groups of them are called prides.
They are top of the food chain.

Not here in the USA. Roaming housecats and strays become dinner for red
and blue fox, coyotes, large hawks.........

Well, cats in general are top of the food chain.
There is always an exception, even for the lions and tigers.

Old November 3rd 09, 05:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

"jmc" wrote in message
Not really. What tends to happen is they overpopulate terribly, then
die off in droves from diseases caused and easily spread by
overpopulation and sickness when the food supply cannot support the
population.

I just can't see this. There are animals all over the world living
just fine
in their given environments. Especially protected animals, like our
cats.

But they're not "artificially" fed which both allows and encourages
reproduction you don't see in native or natural populations.

You seem to think that if a male cat sees a sexy female cat, he has
to make kitties.

Not the case.

If the females come into HEAT, he will breed with them unless he is too
old, starved, sick, crippled or diseased to do so. He is hormonally
driven and doesn't consider the number of cats in your yard or barn. He
has no way to know the act of sex results in kittens = more cats.

You seem to think that cats have no control over their hormones and heat
cycles.

I know for a fact they don't. They cycle just like dogs and other mammals.
If they're in even reasonable health and have enough nutrition, they will
come in heat and breed.

And they always will be UNTIL they die of accident, disease or are killed
by fox, coyotes, dogs, hateful people, sociopathic kids......

The point is, the fact that feral cats are even out there means that they
are finding some way to survive.

Yes, they survive until they're run over, a dog kills them, a hawk picks
them off, some sadistic child stones them to death, disease infects
them.....

If you couldn't care less if these homeless cats live or die - why are
you here on this NG?

I don't want any creature to die. I just don't let it get me down,
because
death has been a fact of life on this planet ever since it began.

Of course it is. The point is, DON'T ADD TO IT!!!!!!!

Mutilation? Painful for the male? Anesthesia is used just like in
humans.

You can't know because you're female.

I watched many male cats be castrated. Anesthesia is used and there is no
pain involved. My sex has irrelevant.

You keep trying to give them human traits which they do not have. They
are fully themselves "fixed" or not. You seem totally unaware that
literally thousands if not millions of cats are put to death in shelters
every year because there aren't enough homes for them all.

Easy solution: stop sending cats to Auschwitz cat shelters!

Where do we send them then when their population has them suffering,
starving and dying of disease?

I'm starting to think you are a troll. Anyone who thinks cats know about
abstinence and that sex equals more cats has to be a troll.

If nothing else, I am strengthening your own argument, if you continue
to hold onto to it, so cool it.

I am cool or I wouldn't even bother to reply to you. The last thing we and
cats themselves need, is MORE CATS. I suggest you do some volunteer work at
a local shelter and be there on euthanasia day. You will quickly change
your mind about excess cats and dogs due to them not being neutered. Mostly
because someone mindlessly and selfishly allowed their pet to breed. Then
not finding homes for the pups or kittens, dumped them at the shelter - if
not along some country road.

Old November 3rd 09, 05:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cyberpurrs

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...
I don't know why you all are arguing with an obvious troll.
He is just playing I am a intelligent person, high and mighty routine to
take it to a different path.

If he is not a troll than he is a very ignorant person that is enjoying
the attention you are giving him.

Move on folks you can't fix Stupid. I gave him a rating of -3

Aren't you proud of me? I kfed after one reply. *beam*

Old November 3rd 09, 05:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message
netamerica...

It's a shame you care nothing about the suffering of homeless domestic
cats.

**I care about cats so much that I care about the whole cat.

No you don't. You have some agenda and it's not caring about the "whole"
cat. The longest lived and healthiest cats are the cats that are neutered
and kept indoors.

WILD Halloween cats! Kreisleriana[_3_] Cat anecdotes 3 November 1st 08 09:03 PM
Stray Wild Cats DanaD Cats - misc 1 April 8th 07 01:16 AM
cats gone wild on the 'nip' yepp Cat anecdotes 3 May 13th 05 12:39 PM
If you like wild cats, don't miss this... Zorin the Lynx Cat anecdotes 5 February 1st 05 02:30 PM