giving the cat baths...

Old October 17th 03, 12:11 PM
MaryL

"Sherry " wrote in message
I have read about bathing cats in the past and I continue to bathe them.

Not
only does it get out hair that I haven't brush out but also dirt as well.
Both my cats are short haired and do get a bit rank after a while.

If your indoor cats are getting "rank"...it's time to seriously take a

look at
your housekeeping skills. Indoor cats just don't get "rank" unless

there's a
health issue going on with elimination or they are unable to groom

themselves.

Sherry

I agree. I didn't understant this statement about the cat getting "rank."
I have never had a cat develop an odor unless there was a health issue (for
example, diarrhea).

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Old October 17th 03, 01:33 PM
PawsForThought

From: "Karen M."

From: "Karen M."

PawsForThought wrote:

From:
itty (Sherry )

Actually, baths are good for cats because it helps get rid of excess

hair
which can reduce hairballs a little. Every few months I give my cats a

bath

and you'd be surprised how much lose hair ends up in the tub.

If you knew anything about cats all all, you'd know they "throw" their

hair
when they are frightened. Your cats are terrified of the bath, and that's

why

there's hair all over the place. It isn't normal shedded hair.

Sherry

Exactly. Also, you might want to feed a higher quality cat food and then

maybe

she won't shed as much.

Oh, no no no no no no no no!! Do *not* bring up the food with CP, I
repeat *do not* bring up the food!! LOL

Hey, maybe he would change his cats from Friskies. Nah, guess not....LOL

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe

Lauren,
don't you remember the last time someone got into the Friskies thing
with CP? His panties got in such a twist he's probably *still* prying
them out of his crack...

I vaguely remember his stance that no matter what food a person feeds their
cat, it doesn't matter and he's going to feed Friskies and he doesn't care what
anyone says. Am I remembering correctly, or was it worse? LOL
________
Old October 17th 03, 01:33 PM
PawsForThought

From: "Karen M."

Old October 17th 03, 02:55 PM
Sherry

I agree. I didn't understant this statement about the cat getting "rank."
I have never had a cat develop an odor unless there was a health issue (for
example, diarrhea).

MaryL

Me too, Mary. I honestly don't understand it. Cherokee was old, too fat,
arthritic and unable to groom himself. Longhaired on top of that. He got "rank"
if left to his own devices. But a healthy, younger, indoor cat. I just can't
see it.

Sherry

Old October 17th 03, 02:55 PM
Sherry

I vaguely remember his stance that no matter what food a person feeds their
cat, it doesn't matter and he's going to feed Friskies and he doesn't care
what
anyone says. Am I remembering correctly, or was it worse? LOL

Yeah, that's pretty much it. On second thought, that might be why the poor cats
stink after all.

Sherry

Old October 17th 03, 03:09 PM
Iso

I think what Sherri is referring too is mouth odor. Which also results from
poor dental hygiene. Heavy tartar under and along an animals gum line is a
perfect place for bacteria to multiply producing obnoxious odors in the
process. This same mouth odor may be spread to the entire body as the animal
uses his or her tongue to wet the hair coat during the grooming process.
Maybe she smells dirty or infected ears. They are another frequent source of
body odor. Skin disease and a wet or soiled hair coat are amongst the most
common sources of body odor. Stool, urine, and saliva can be spread on to
the skin and hair producing objectionable odors. One skin disease known as
"seborrhea" often results in the over production of skin oils which tend to
trap obnoxious odors. Stool and urine collecting between the foot pads is
another place to check when trying to discover the source of persistent
"rank" odors on your cat. I try to wash all my animals at least once a
month.