Claws

Old June 7th 04, 07:53 PM
David Wright

Default Claws

Hello,

My cat is continually scratching my neighbours cars - they have caught him
scratching up and down the wings, and on the bonnet. They have been decent
enough about it, but patience only lasts for so long!

My question is, is it legal or ethical or possible to get a cat's claws
clipped/removed/something else to avoid my cat doing this? He is a domestic
tom, aged 2 years.

Thanks,
D.

Old June 7th 04, 08:23 PM
David Stevenson

David Wright wrote
Hello,

My cat is continually scratching my neighbours cars - they have caught him
scratching up and down the wings, and on the bonnet. They have been decent
enough about it, but patience only lasts for so long!

My question is, is it legal or ethical or possible to get a cat's claws
clipped/removed/something else to avoid my cat doing this? He is a domestic
tom, aged 2 years.

Clipped, certainly. I clip my cats claws regularly.

Removed? well, apart form the distaste that several people on this NG
including me feel for this practice, ie we do not think it ethical,
whether it is legal depends on your country which you did not name. It
is illegal in much of Europe, legal in much of North America.

Something else: people talk about SoftPaws. I know nothing about it
myself.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old June 7th 04, 09:37 PM
Kristine Kochanski

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 19:23:00 +0000 (UTC), David Stevenson
wrote:

[...]

I believe these are like glue-on caps, not sure if they're available
outside the US, I've certainly never seen them. I personally wouldn't
recommend you clip any cat's claws who goes outside - their claws are
their primary defence against attack from other cats/predators. Why
don't you just discourage the cat from scratching the car? Squirt it
with water when you catch it scratching, smear the bonnet with
something greasy, if it's doing it at night, keep the cat in. There
are umpteen humane alternatives.
Old June 8th 04, 09:19 AM
Agua Girl

wrote:

[...]

Trimming their claws does not prevent them from using them for self
defense. Declawing them does...and by the way. Let's call it what it
really is. Removing a cats claws sounds like no big deal but the truth
is it's amputating their "finger tips"..not removing a claw.

Why
don't you just discourage the cat from scratching the car? Squirt it
with water when you catch it scratching, smear the bonnet with
something greasy, if it's doing it at night, keep the cat in. There
are umpteen humane alternatives.

I love cats and I wouldn't grease down my car to protect it from
a neighbors cat. Keep the cat away from the car. Build an outdoor
enclosure, buy your neighbor a car cover, get them keep away
spray to put around their yards perimeter, squirting was a good idea,
and it may help to make sure your Tom is fixed. Ok..maybe it won't
help but it's still important if you are letting your cat roam.

AG

Old June 13th 04, 12:05 AM
Larry R Harrison Jr

"Agua Girl" wrote in message

I love cats and I wouldn't grease down my car to protect it from
a neighbors cat. Keep the cat away from the car. Build an outdoor
enclosure, buy your neighbor a car cover, get them keep away
spray to put around their yards perimeter, squirting was a good idea,
and it may help to make sure your Tom is fixed. Ok..maybe it won't
help but it's still important if you are letting your cat roam.

AG

Exactly. The neighbor should be able to do whatever the jolly heck they feel
without having to spend 1/2 the day covering their car up--and they still
shouldn't have to contend with this.

I'm not going to enter into the claw-declaw debate, but definitely do not
give the neighbor a blanket or car cover and expect them to do that every
single day. That's too much work. And the main thing is this: it is not
their pet causing the annoyance but someone else's, so they frankly
shouldn't have to lift a single finger to do anything. 100% of that falls on
the cat's owner, period.

LRH

Old June 8th 04, 05:04 AM
M.C. Mullen

| I believe these are like glue-on caps, not sure if they're available
| outside the US, I've certainly never seen them. I personally wouldn't
| recommend you clip any cat's claws who goes outside - their claws are
| their primary defence against attack from other cats/predators. Why
| don't you just discourage the cat from scratching the car? Squirt it
| with water when you catch it scratching, smear the bonnet with
| something greasy, if it's doing it at night, keep the cat in. There
| are umpteen humane alternatives.

In this case I'd recommend a hose!
Offer the neighbour a blanket. Invite them all for dinner.

Carola

Old June 8th 04, 05:04 AM
M.C. Mullen

Old June 11th 04, 02:27 PM
News

Of course, that course of action depends on you catching the cat at it. My
neighbour has accused my cat of it in the past but neither of us have ever
seen my cat scratching the car. Our car isn't scratched so I'm betting my
neighbour is driving too close to bushes or something. Water generally puts
our cat off doing anythng naughty though so it would probably work ifwe
could catch him at it.