OT SS numbers

Old July 9th 03, 11:41 PM
---MIKE---

Default OT SS numbers

Does anyone know a site that would tell me who belongs to a social
security number?

-MIKE

Old July 10th 03, 04:12 AM
Sherry

Does anyone know a site that would tell me who belongs to a social
security number?

-MIKE

I'm sure a criss-cross reference for SS#'s is available to law enforcement
agencies, but I would sincerely hope NOT to the general public.

Sherry

Old July 10th 03, 07:44 PM

MacCandace wrote:
I would hope that would not be public information. It certainly shouldn't be.

But I think it is...

Scarey, isn't it? You know, I heard that when they introduced SS #'s they
swore they weren't going to be used for identification....

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old July 10th 03, 07:44 PM

MacCandace wrote:
I would hope that would not be public information. It certainly shouldn't be.

But I think it is...

Scarey, isn't it? You know, I heard that when they introduced SS #'s they
swore they weren't going to be used for identification....

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old July 10th 03, 11:00 PM
Sherry

I'm sure a criss-cross reference for SS#'s is available to law
enforcement agencies, but I would sincerely hope NOT to the general
public.

Sherry

You can only look them up online if the person who "owns" the SSN in
question is dead. There is a Social Security Death Register at:

www.publicdata.com

This backward state *finally* took our SS# off our driver's licenses. Way past
overdue. That should *not* be easily available to anyone. Also, if your horse
trailer isn't tagged here, you are required to post your SSN on the rear of it.
I always transposed the last two digits.

Sherry

Old July 10th 03, 11:44 PM
MaryL

wrote in message
MacCandace wrote:
I would hope that would not be public information. It certainly

shouldn't be.

But I think it is...

Scarey, isn't it? You know, I heard that when they introduced SS #'s they
swore they weren't going to be used for identification....

Alice

Yes, it is scary, and the Social Security Administration STILL has a rule
that SS is not to be used as indentification. What a laugh! The University
where I work requires us to write our SS numbers on every check they cash,
and these numbers are readily available to others (starting with the people
who handle the checks). Ironically, faculty are not permitted to use any
part of SS numbers for grade posting (not even 3 or 4 digits of the number,
as we once did), but every university I have ever been associated with uses
the number as the "student's ID" and prints them for all faculty,
administrators, etc. This is only the tip of the iceberg, of course -- the
part that I am most familiar with, but you will also find that stores
require SS numbers if you want to open an account and various commercial
entities use them for identification. I recently attended a speech given by
the director of the local Soc. Sec. office, and he described using SS as
identification as one of his "pet peeves."

MaryL