If you can spare a purr or so...another request

Old September 4th 03, 04:40 AM
Christine Burel

Default If you can spare a purr or so...another request

1.Tucker has panted very easily ever since we've known him and after talking
with Megan I'm going to take him to get checked out by the vet tomorrow --
(hoping to rule out feline asthma or cardiomyopathy) -- it's going to be
hard on the little guy so any purrs would be appreciated. Anyone here have
experience with panting cats?

and

2. Could you please purr for a possible d*g adoption at the local humane
society -- My daughter, Celeste, worked with a very sweet border
collie/heeler mix at the Camp Love A Pet session this summer and we've just
checked and found out that "Arne" still hasn't been adopted. A family at my
daughter's school was interested in adopting a dog and I told them about
Arne; they're going to look at him tomorrow. It would be quite wonderful to
know that he might find a good home at last.

Many thanks!
Christine

Old September 4th 03, 05:33 AM
Marina

"Christine Burel" wrote
1.Tucker has panted very easily ever since we've known him and after

talking
with Megan I'm going to take him to get checked out by the vet tomorrow --
(hoping to rule out feline asthma or cardiomyopathy) -- it's going to be
hard on the little guy so any purrs would be appreciated. Anyone here

have
experience with panting cats?

Frank does pant a lot, and he always has. The vets have found nothing wrong
with him, and one vet said that some cats just have a habit of panting, but
of course, it's best to check it out. Many purrs that it's not anything
chronic.

2. Could you please purr for a possible d*g adoption at the local humane
society -- My daughter, Celeste, worked with a very sweet border
collie/heeler mix at the Camp Love A Pet session this summer and we've

just
checked and found out that "Arne" still hasn't been adopted. A family at

my
daughter's school was interested in adopting a dog and I told them about
Arne; they're going to look at him tomorrow. It would be quite wonderful

know that he might find a good home at last.

Purrs for Arne and the family to fall in love with each other.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old September 4th 03, 06:07 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 21:40:31 -0600, "Christine Burel"
wrote:

1.Tucker has panted very easily ever since we've known him and after talking
with Megan I'm going to take him to get checked out by the vet tomorrow --
(hoping to rule out feline asthma or cardiomyopathy) -- it's going to be
hard on the little guy so any purrs would be appreciated. Anyone here have
experience with panting cats?

Sorry no experience to relate, but we're be sending purrs and [rayers
that it will be an uneventful checkup with no major complications

and

2. Could you please purr for a possible d*g adoption at the local humane
society -- My daughter, Celeste, worked with a very sweet border
collie/heeler mix at the Camp Love A Pet session this summer and we've just
checked and found out that "Arne" still hasn't been adopted. A family at my
daughter's school was interested in adopting a dog and I told them about
Arne; they're going to look at him tomorrow. It would be quite wonderful to
know that he might find a good home at last.

Many thanks!
Christine

Always have plenty of purrs for any furry-ones who are looking for
their onetruehome. Hope that it works out that he gets to go to a
family that you know.

Old September 4th 03, 09:30 AM
lewe

"Christine Burel" wrote in message
1.Tucker has panted very easily ever since we've known him and after

talking
with Megan I'm going to take him to get checked out by the vet tomorrow --
(hoping to rule out feline asthma or cardiomyopathy) -- it's going to be
hard on the little guy so any purrs would be appreciated. Anyone here

have
experience with panting cats?

not other than that the red one pants when he runs after the laser pointer -
doesn't now when to stop so you have to check him, but that's obviously
"exercise related" Although I think he had a little tendancy to pant a
little with normal playing too when he was a kitten but he grew out of that.

Purrs for Tuckers panting not being anything serious! But you are definitely
dooing the right thing to have him checked out.

2. Could you please purr for a possible d*g adoption at the local humane
society -- My daughter, Celeste, worked with a very sweet border
collie/heeler mix at the Camp Love A Pet session this summer and we've

just
checked and found out that "Arne" still hasn't been adopted. A family at

my
daughter's school was interested in adopting a dog and I told them about
Arne; they're going to look at him tomorrow. It would be quite wonderful

know that he might find a good home at last.

Extra loud purrs for the d*g one! You know 'Arne' is quite a common name for
men in Sweden?

--
:: lewe
lewemi at yahoo dot se || cat pics: photos.yahoo.com/lewemi

Old September 4th 03, 03:26 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Double purrs going out.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old September 4th 03, 04:45 PM
Lisa Katt

Purrs for both cat and dog!
Elisabet and Hugo Katt

Old September 4th 03, 06:59 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

wrote:

[...]

Purrs for little Tucker's tests and also for Arne to find a forever
home.

I have experience with cats panting -- more than I care to! There can
be several reasons behind it, I have found. At worst, there is as,
you mentioned, cardiomyopathy. My beloved Mojo (RB) panted terribly.
I asked the vet at the time (no longer my vet) about it, and he told
me there was no problem and that it was "just his quirk". A month
after that statement, Mojo was at the Bridge. He blocked, and the
emergency vet said "Do you know this cat has a fairly serious heart
murmur?" Yes, I did, but I could never get the vet to confirm it :-(
Just a week or so before Mojo died, I did research on the Internet,
and discovered that panting was a major sign of cardiomyopathy.
Before I could figure out what to do (change vets, or whatever), he
was gone. Although I did not have a necropsy done, I am 99.9% certain
that Mojo had cardiomyopathy.

When we first got Wolfie six months after we lost Mojo, *he* panted,
and you can imagine how terrified we were. Not having funds for
expensive tests, we decided to wait and watch him. Mojo had panted
*badly* -- he would run and play and pant to the point that I would
have to take him upstairs into the air conditioned room, and it could
take him 10-15 minutes to stop panting, even in the a/c. Wolfie, on
the other hand, would stop panting within a minute or so after he
stopped playing. After a few months, he apparently found the right
point at which he got overly excited by playing, and he has not panted
since.

Then we have Merlyn. Last summer, Merlyn started panting terribly,
even if she was not running or playing at full speed. Took her to the
vet, who diagnosed her with "panting of unknown origin". Could not
afford the $350 or so for the test to see if she had cardio, and I
didn't think she did. And I have come to the conclusion that Merlyn
simply has a heat intolerance. So this summer, the a/c is on 24/7,
and she can go into the Cool Room any time she wants. She has spent a
*lot* of time in there this summer. She is very high strung, and very
long-haired, and it seems heat really bothers her. Since we started
letting her get cool whenever she needs it, she almost never pants,
except when she is downstairs and being fed.

I have two other cats, Sabra and Internet, and both are asthmatics. I
believe Internet's is heat-induced, and Sabra's is the old-fashioned,
clear-cut asthma. Internet will occasionally pant open-mouthed, but
Sabra never has. From what I have seen with Sabra, in true, pure
asthma, panting is usually not seen. What you see is a difficulty
breathing, with the lungs moving in and out with difficulty (look at
the sides of the cat, and you can see it easily). You can also hear
wheezing with Sabra's asthma if he is having an attack.

So, from my experience, open-mouthed panting can be a sign of
cardiomyopathy, especially if it does not stop quickly upon the cat's
resting. It can show up with asthma, but it does not always.
Sometimes, in a kitten, it is merely a sign that the kitten has not
yet found out what his or her limits are in play. And some cats do it
because they are heat intolerant or high strung, or both.

Hope that helps, and best wishes for a good diagnosis for Tucker.

Ginger-lyn

Old September 4th 03, 07:26 PM
JBHajos

wrote:

1.Tucker has panted very easily ever since we've known him and after talking
with Megan I'm going to take him to get checked out by the vet tomorrow --

Purrs and good wishes being sent for Tucker's well-being.

and

2. Could you please purr for a possible d*g adoption at the local humane
society --

Doggy woofs & wags and best wishes for Arne to find a good home.

Jeanne
Old September 4th 03, 08:58 PM
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX

Purrs on their way for both 1 & 2 :-)

Cheers, helen s

This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame