Urinary blockages

Old December 15th 09, 06:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Green[_3_]

Default Urinary blockages

Has anyone any idea how to prevent these problems in castrated cats? Spirit
will be the first castrated male I've had since the 1960s. I had a male with
endless urethral blockage problems back then and I vowed I'd never adopt
another male cat or have one "fixed." Now I find myself probably keeping
Spirit who will be fixed at the vet clinic tomorrow. What is the recommended
diet these days to help prevent his painful condition? I know the vet I
worked for in the 70s believed it was due to poor diet and secondarily by
the castration itself causing the urethra to shrink and narrow. Any ideas?
Thoughts on this? Advice? I don't want Spirit suffering like that cat did
for years.

Old December 15th 09, 01:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Feed him a good quality canned food diet. The extra water in the canned
food helps to dilute the urine and prevent crystals from forming. I
even add a little water to the canned food.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old December 15th 09, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:36:48 -0600, "Kelly Green"
wrote:

Has anyone any idea how to prevent these problems in castrated cats? Spirit
will be the first castrated male I've had since the 1960s. I had a male with
endless urethral blockage problems back then and I vowed I'd never adopt
another male cat or have one "fixed." Now I find myself probably keeping
Spirit who will be fixed at the vet clinic tomorrow. What is the recommended
diet these days to help prevent his painful condition? I know the vet I
worked for in the 70s believed it was due to poor diet and secondarily by
the castration itself causing the urethra to shrink and narrow. Any ideas?
Thoughts on this? Advice? I don't want Spirit suffering like that cat did
for years.

I've had six or seven fixed male cats during the last 25 years and
only one of them had that problem:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-feli...y-blockage.htm

The vet didn't prescribe a special diet for Espy after it happened,
but I was at the local pet store and found this

http://www.petco.com/product/105817/...-Cat-Food.aspx

Oddly, my three cats all really like it so I asked the vet and he said
that it was fine for them and might even help.

I've very attuned to the problem (see the posting about litterboxes
today) and have a surveilance camera over the Litter Robot so I can be
sure that Epsy goes regularly. If a day goes by and I don't see that
he went I pay real close attention. Sometimes they go out in the
backyard though so I cut him a bit of slack on those days. He will pee
outside if fthe urge strikes.
Old December 15th 09, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Feed him a good quality canned food diet. The extra water in the canned
food helps to dilute the urine and prevent crystals from forming. I
even add a little water to the canned food.

Yes I can do that. Would warm milk work also if he's not lactose intolerant?

Old December 15th 09, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

wrote:

[...]

Thank you for this information. I have both sites open on MozillaFF and
will read them to the end as soon as I finish this group. I remember there
was a small pill I had to give my cat back then to keep his urine more acid.
He fought tooth and nail when pilled. The little pill helped but he
had problems all his life. They didn't know as much about cat nutrition and
diet related problems than as they do now.

I've been reading on feeding more of a raw diet. What do you think of that?
Getting a balanced diet into them using raw meat would be my main concern.

Old December 15th 09, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jean B.

Kelly Green wrote:
Has anyone any idea how to prevent these problems in castrated cats?
Spirit will be the first castrated male I've had since the 1960s. I had
a male with endless urethral blockage problems back then and I vowed I'd
never adopt another male cat or have one "fixed." Now I find myself
probably keeping Spirit who will be fixed at the vet clinic tomorrow.
What is the recommended diet these days to help prevent his painful
condition? I know the vet I worked for in the 70s believed it was due to
poor diet and secondarily by the castration itself causing the urethra
to shrink and narrow. Any ideas? Thoughts on this? Advice? I don't want
Spirit suffering like that cat did for years.

Yes. Canned food. Preferably without a lot of stuff added that
looks good to humans but is not part of a cat's normal diet.
Also, if you don't already have a water fountain, think about
one--and about putting water at various locations throughout your
abode.

--
Jean B.
Old December 15th 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jean B.

Kelly Greene wrote:

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Feed him a good quality canned food diet. The extra water in the canned
food helps to dilute the urine and prevent crystals from forming. I
even add a little water to the canned food.

Yes I can do that. Would warm milk work also if he's not lactose
intolerant?

You could use Lactaid. Seems to me that milk was forbidden for
cats who have this problem (not that yours does yet_. I'd like to
heat whether that is the case.

--
Jean B.
Old December 15th 09, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

..

I've been reading on feeding more of a raw diet. What do you think of that?
Getting a balanced diet into them using raw meat would be my main concern.

A raw diet would be excellent, provided it was a balanced diet. Grain-
free canned is also good.

Here are some links that might be helpful.

Cat nutrition: http://www.catinfo.org/

Nutrition and raw diets: http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php

A very good book, which discusses much on wet and raw diets is Your
Cat. Here is a link to it in Amazon so you can see what it looks like:
http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cat-Simpl...0911453&sr=8-1

FWIW, I fed my oldest dry for the first four years of his life. He had
a UTI at age 1 1/2, then needed surgery for crystals at age 3. Since
he's been on a grain free, wet diet, he's had NO urinary problems (and
he's 11 now).
Old December 15th 09, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

"Jean B." wrote in message
Kelly Greene wrote:

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Feed him a good quality canned food diet. The extra water in the canned
food helps to dilute the urine and prevent crystals from forming. I
even add a little water to the canned food.

Yes I can do that. Would warm milk work also if he's not lactose
intolerant?

You could use Lactaid. Seems to me that milk was forbidden for cats who
have this problem (not that yours does yet_. I'd like to heat whether
that is the case.

I'll use warm water then. No use taking a chance. With the info on those
recommended websites I located a Petco less than 10 miles from my house that
carries the canned Pro Plan Adult Urinary Tract Health Cat Food. I'm going
out there Fri or Sat to pick up a case of it and another cat Tree-condo on
sale for $149. I hope they have the condo-tree in by then. I want to
start adding raw food to thier diet also. Unfortunately the local Wal*Mart
doesn't have beef heart, kidney, chicken gizzards hearts and other such
goodies. I have to drive to the other end of the nearest town and see if
Publix or Kroger has organ meats.

Old December 16th 09, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

"Rene" wrote in message
.

[...]

Wow! That poor kitty - and so young. I so fear Spirit suffering from such
an awful and painful condition. I have no idea what he was fed before since
someone just dumped him off out here. He will get no dry food here except a
little "Wellness" or "Solid Gold" as a weekly treat. I am going to read the
above sites if I haven't already. I've spent hours and hours online
learning about cat nutrition. I want these 3 kitties to live long healthy
lives. I don't mind buying raw foods for them. There has to be a grocery
store here that carries organ meats. I'm going to start with chicken
wingtips.

The big boy, our newest cat "Spirit" (12 lbs of muscle) isn't out of the
woods yet. His injury was deep and wide. I can only pray it doesn't get
infected. He goes back to have the drain removed Saturday or Monday. I have
to call them tomorrow for an appt.