Help with rescue, please

Old August 12th 04, 03:49 PM
Samantha G.

Looks very bad. It simply will not eat. Or drink the homemade pedialyte.
It simply shakes its head and sends it everywhere.

Have you tried baby food? Without onions. If it is getting weak, at
this point I would try to feed it just about anything that it would
eat, maybe potted meat or something similar, they tend to love the
smell. I'm sure it's not good for their tummy(so please, nobody fuss
at me), but at the starvation point, I will try anything with a little
one. I think your biggest concern should be getting it to drink. I
found with mine, I had to wrap her in a cloth very tight so that she
couldn't wiggle, and hold them as close to flat on the belly as you
can, if necessary hold it up until you get it to take the formula,
then quickly change it's position. Once you have them wrapped up,
wait for the crying to start, then use the bottle, or whatever to drop
milk in its mouth. Once might tasted it, I had to literally take the
bottle away when she had enough.

You may have to let it play and wear itself out, I have found that
with an older kitten that has been with its mom, it is their instinct
to fight you. Check for dehydration by pinching the skin gently at
the back of its neck and pulling it away from the neck(very gently!),
if it doesn't spring right back withina second or two, the kitty is
dehydrated, forget about formula, and get as much of the pedialyte
into him as you can.

I have also known kittens of this age to greive themselves to death
because of the loss of their mother. You also do not know what it
might have been exposed to, it may have gotten something from the
mother. Sometimes there is simply nothing you can do. Definitely get
it to a vet, but if he doesn't make it, don't blame yourself. It
sound to me like you have done just about everything you can.
Old August 14th 04, 04:17 AM
Rhonda

Judith,

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitten. We recently lost a kitten that I
had tried so hard to save -- it was heart-wrenching.

The kitten would have been much worse off had you not rescued it. You
gave the kitten a chance, and he or she knew someone was there to help.

If you wouldn't have fed it, you would have questioned yourself later
about whether you could have save it. We just have to do our best.

Take care,

Rhonda

Judith Umbria wrote:

"Samantha G." wrote in message
m...

Looks very bad. It simply will not eat. Or drink the homemade

pedialyte.

It simply shakes its head and sends it everywhere.

Have you tried baby food?

Since the vet opened this morning I tried nothing other than what I had
already been doing. The kitten died at the vet. The vet said there was
never anything I could have done as it was sick from the start. It's body
temp had dropped beyond salvation in spite of the hot water bottle and
something was white, though I didn't catch what. I feel rather sorry that I
forced it now.