When walking back (OT)

Old September 12th 13, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default When walking back (OT)

from my group where I play scrabble and do jigsaws every Tuesday, my friend
and I came across a skip with great pots to grown tomatoes in, or beans etc.
We asked the official looking people there if we could have them and they
said yes, and help yourself.
It was a cannabis farm being dismantled - in my own village!!
So we both took some of the pots and hoped no police would come along with a
drug dog while we were transporting them home to sniff us out. Of course
they didn't!.

Each pot would cost 1.50 to buy.

Pauline took more pots than I did and soon got tired of carrying them so I
offered to drive her back to her house when we got to my car.

I'm glad I did. She is a talented guitar player and she played for me. She
was so good that I almost wept.
My lovely transexual Goth friend is amazing. Truly.

Tweed

Old September 12th 13, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:
from my group where I play scrabble and do jigsaws every Tuesday, my
friend and I came across a skip with great pots to grown tomatoes in,
or beans etc. We asked the official looking people there if we could
have them and they said yes, and help yourself. It was a cannabis farm
being dismantled - in my own village!! So we both took some of the pots
and hoped no police would come along with a drug dog while we were
transporting them home to sniff us out. Of course they didn't!.

Each pot would cost 1.50 to buy.

Pauline took more pots than I did and soon got tired of carrying them so
I offered to drive her back to her house when we got to my car.

I'm glad I did. She is a talented guitar player and she played for me.
She was so good that I almost wept. My lovely transexual Goth friend is
amazing. Truly.

Tweed

So you not only had a great time but have got pots (no pun intended) with
a history.

Might go back tomorrow to get the rest of the pots if they are stiil there.
I'll leave the ducts and lights.
It was in a previous doctor's surgery which she let out when she retired.

This is an interesting website
police uk, put your post code in and you can see what's been going on near
you that you never knew about.
I had no clue about the cannabis farm just mile or so away.
Tweed

Old September 13th 13, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
[...]

Judith

--

I've never tried cannabis but would like to just once to see what all the
fuss is about.

Tweed

Old September 13th 13, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 9/13/2013 5:35 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , Christina Websell

I've never tried cannabis but would like to just once to see what all
the fuss is about.

Tweed

When I was in the sixth form at school one of my friends had an elder
brother who was at university and on a visit to see him my friend had
tried cannabis. He said he didn't see what all the fuss was about and that
he wouldn't bother again. that's as close as I've got to anyone who took
any from of illegal drugs.

Judith

When I was a student, the smoke wafted through certain areas of the
campus - you couldn't avoid smelling it. I thought it smelled even worse
than tobacco, and given my general aversion to smoking anything, never
tried it. It made a friend of mine very silly and giggly and relaxed
while she was under the influence.

--
Cheryl
Old September 13th 13, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/13/2013 6:01 PM, Cheryl wrote:
[...]

I'll admit I smoked pot when I was in my teens. It made all of us a
little silly and sometimes giggly, yes. Relaxed, yes. We'd do it after
school. Sit around, listen to music and talk.

I'd *still* like to know what the fuss is about.

Jill
Old September 14th 13, 12:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 9/13/2013 8:03 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

A combination of the fact that it does pose a danger to some people (as,
of course, legal substances such as alcohol and tobacco do) and the fact
that, because it's illegal, some extremely nasty characters commit
extremely nasty crimes to protect and expand their business - which
often also includes more dangerous drugs. And yes, I know, the people
who sell to nice middle class types are often quite charming; they'd be
terrible salespeople if they weren't. It's their suppliers, and the
suppliers of their suppliers who murder rivals and, sometimes, quite by
accident blow up or shoot kids walking down the street at the wrong time.
There's probably be even more support for legalization of marijuana if
it could be done without rewarding those thugs.

I'm just waiting until it is legalized and the "Third-hand smoke kills!"
anti-tobacco activists run into the "It's a natural and harmless herb"
pro-marijuana activists. It should be quite an entertaining battle - at
least if you don't smoke either substance, and don't much care if others
do.

--
Cheryl
Old September 14th 13, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/13/2013 7:02 PM, Cheryl wrote:
[...]

I never saw marijuana lead to "hard drugs". Never saw anyone commit a
crime (other than smoking pot). We weren't dealing with a big crime
syndicate. There wasn't a supply chain. It was some guys growing weed
in pots under grow-lights in the attic. Or on some small plot of land.
$15 an ounce. No one was getting rich. No one was getting killed
over it.

You're talking about a wider-spread problem. I understand that. My
"argument" is for private use. Not to support criminal organizations
and activities.

Jill
Old September 14th 13, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Well, I enjoyed it in my late teens. I wasn't a total waste case (ie,
stoned 24/7), but my friends and I smoked a few times a week. It was fun.
Music sounded *great*. Everything was much funnier. I can't say it relaxed
me, exactly, but I had a great time. And I really liked the smell of pot
smoke (still do).

But all of a sudden, I stopped enjoying it. It made me really anxious,
and all my neuroses and phobias came out. I didn't get paranoid about the
people I was with - I went for the big stuff, like having fantasies about
burning to death in a nuclear attack. Nice, huh? There's a certain intense
focus that happens when you're stoned, and I would often forget that I
*could choose* not to think about something if it was becoming unpleasant.
So I'd have these horrific thoughts and fantasies, and it wouldn't occur
to me that I could think about or do something else. I'd be glued to my
thoughts, getting more and more freaked out.

So it seemed like maybe it was a good time to stop. This wasn't a
difficult decision - it wasn't like giving up something I liked for my
health. There was simply no point in doing it anymore because I'd stopped
enjoying it. I also started getting really jittery and fidgety when high -
the opposite of relaxed. This was when I was about 20. Everyone I knew
continued to smoke, but I'd had enough apocalyptic visions, thanks. I
never minded being around other people getting high, and fortunately I
had decent friends who didn't try to egg me on or give me a hard time
for "going straight".

--
Joyce

The average, healthy, well-adjusted adult gets up at seven-thirty in
the morning feeling just terrible. -- Jean Kerr
Old September 14th 13, 11:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 9/13/2013 8:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:

I never saw marijuana lead to "hard drugs". Never saw anyone commit a
crime (other than smoking pot). We weren't dealing with a big crime
syndicate. There wasn't a supply chain. It was some guys growing weed
in pots under grow-lights in the attic. Or on some small plot of land.
$15 an ounce. No one was getting rich. No one was getting killed
over it.

Well, the plural of anecdote isn't data, but for what it's worth, yes, I
know people who started with marijuana and ended up with a serious drug
addiction - some only with marijuana, some with harder drugs, most with
a combination of drugs, some legal, some not. The risk is probably
smaller than was implied by the anti-drug education of my youth (and
probably yours), but it is a very real risk for a minority of people -
and mostly people don't know if they're in that minority until they are
using enough to cause serious problems, and then have serious difficulty
getting off the drugs, if that's what they want to do.

You're talking about a wider-spread problem. I understand that. My
"argument" is for private use. Not to support criminal organizations
and activities.

If, in fact, you're growing your own, using seeds etc from legal
sources, it's a private activity. If you're buying it from someone who's
claiming that of course this product was grown by a private individual
who was just growing a few plants in the attic or on land and so didn't
need the bear traps, guard dogs, armed guards, etc to protect his
investment - well, you might be hearing the truth. Or you might not.
Truth in advertising and consumer protection rules don't apply in such
cases.

--
Cheryl
Old September 14th 13, 12:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/14/2013 6:42 AM, Cheryl wrote:
On 9/13/2013 8:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:

I never saw marijuana lead to "hard drugs". Never saw anyone commit a
crime (other than smoking pot). We weren't dealing with a big crime
syndicate. There wasn't a supply chain. It was some guys growing weed
in pots under grow-lights in the attic. Or on some small plot of land.
$15 an ounce. No one was getting rich. No one was getting killed
over it.

Well, the plural of anecdote isn't data, but for what it's worth, yes, I
know people who started with marijuana and ended up with a serious drug
addiction - some only with marijuana, some with harder drugs, most with
a combination of drugs, some legal, some not.

I think there is more of a problem with prescription drugs these days
than I ever saw with marijuana. I believe if pot "leads" people to
something stronger, those people have other problems.

The risk is probably
smaller than was implied by the anti-drug education of my youth (and
probably yours), but it is a very real risk for a minority of people -
and mostly people don't know if they're in that minority until they are
using enough to cause serious problems, and then have serious difficulty
getting off the drugs, if that's what they want to do.

Again, it depends on the drug. I don't believe marijuana is addictive.
I do believe there are addictive personalities. I certainly had no
problem giving it up.

You're talking about a wider-spread problem. I understand that. My
"argument" is for private use. Not to support criminal organizations
and activities.

If, in fact, you're growing your own, using seeds etc from legal
sources, it's a private activity. If you're buying it from someone who's
claiming that of course this product was grown by a private individual
who was just growing a few plants in the attic or on land and so didn't
need the bear traps, guard dogs, armed guards, etc to protect his
investment - well, you might be hearing the truth. Or you might not.
Truth in advertising and consumer protection rules don't apply in such
cases.

I'm not sure you're hearing me. I went to school with these guys. (I
don't know where they got the seeds for the plants.) I saw the couple
or three pot plants (in pots) in the attic. There were no armed guards
or guard dogs or weapons or anything else... Truly, what you're
describing sounds like it belongs on television.

You must have grown up in an environment way different from mine. I was
living in middle-class suburbia, Memphis, TN. It was pretty boring.

BTW, the U.S. government has been growing marijuana at the University of
Mississippi for decades.

Jill