When walking back (OT)

Old September 16th 13, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default When walking back (OT)

Joy wrote:

m...

jmcquown wrote:
On 9/14/2013 2:49 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Case in point: "Lady Day" (jazz singer Billy Holiday). But she was
far from the only jazz musician who started with marijuana, then
graduated to the hard stuff.

Janis Joplin, Hendrix, yada yada yada. How about people you know? Did
you ever meet someone who was suddenly a drug addict because they smoked
pot?

SFAIK, I never knew anyone who smoked pot! (Except for professional jazz
musicians, my generation just didn't.)

I suspect you and I may be in the same generation. When I was in high
school, I went to school one day to find the whole campus buzzing. A
surprise search of gym lockers had found some pot in one of them. Everybody
in the school was shocked.

Joy,

You're in the same generation as my parents (my dad was born in 1933, and
mom in '34). I remember in the early 70s when everyone was concerned about
kids taking drugs, my dad said that when he was young, the only people who
smoked it (in the US) were urban black jazz musicians, and they'd pull the
shades down first. I can only assume he was talking about the 40s or early
50s. By the 60s, marijuana and some other drugs (eg, LSD) had become
popular with white, middle-class teenagers and young adults. When harder
drugs hit the suburbs, suddenly we had a crisis on our hands, but people
in inner cities had been using drugs like heroin for years.

--
Joyce

He spent one-third of the time telling me about the musical he was writing about raccoons, one-third of the time talking about C++, and one-third of the time demonstrating the plot of Othello using the salt and pepper shakers.
-- A Treasury of the World's Worst Online Dating Stories
Old September 17th 13, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/15/2013 7:02 PM, Joy wrote:
m...

jmcquown wrote:
On 9/14/2013 2:49 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Case in point: "Lady Day" (jazz singer Billy Holiday). But she was
far from the only jazz musician who started with marijuana, then
graduated to the hard stuff.

Janis Joplin, Hendrix, yada yada yada. How about people you know? Did
you ever meet someone who was suddenly a drug addict because they smoked
pot?

SFAIK, I never knew anyone who smoked pot! (Except for professional jazz
musicians, my generation just didn't.)

I suspect you and I may be in the same generation. When I was in high
school, I went to school one day to find the whole campus buzzing. A
surprise search of gym lockers had found some pot in one of them. Everybody
in the school was shocked.

Joy

I used to know people who would occasionally smoke pot on their lunch
break in high school (1970's). That's something I did NOT do. I took
my school-work pretty seriously and made good grades.

I have a sneaking suspicion my Dad tried it when he was in Vietnam.

Mom once asked me what it was like to smoke pot. I stammered, "uh,
uh... ask my brothers!"

She asked me that when I was in my 30's. Seriously, I didn't know how
to answer her question. I got the feeling she wouldn't have minded
giving pot a try. Uh oh.

Not knowing what to say, I told her to ask my brothers. What the heck,
they're older so it makes sense they might know. Okay, yes, I evaded
the question. I knew she wouldn't ask them. LOL She dropped the
subject, for which I was grateful. I wouldn't have known where to find
pot for her to try in the first place. I was many years away from high
school.

Jill
Old September 17th 13, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

I used to know people who would occasionally smoke pot on their lunch
break in high school (1970's).

Ah, the "dazed and confused" generation.

I have a sneaking suspicion my Dad tried it when he was in Vietnam.

If that's all he did drug-wise, he was lucky. Lots of vets came back from
Vietnam with serious heroin habits.

Mom once asked me what it was like to smoke pot. I stammered, "uh,
uh... ask my brothers!"

LOL. I have to tell you about my family. We were all degenerates. My dad
smoked pot when I was still in high school. My sister and I would raid his
stash from time to time - what was he going to do, confront us? Then he'd
have to admit that he was smoking it, too. We only did it when we were
out of our own, because the stuff he had was terrible, probably home-grown.
I lived in Massachusetts, so "home-grown" was synonymous with poor quality.
It wasn't like sunny California. Also, it was a long time ago, before the
stuff was bred to be stronger. On the other hand, you could buy an ounce
for $20.

After all the experimentation, my dad was the only one who had developed
a real habit. He continued to smoke and do other drugs for years after the
rest of us had decided we'd had enough. I don't think he's still doing it,
not after his quintuple bypass 10 years ago. In spite of all that (the
years of various drugs and smoking cigarettes), he's in surprisingly good
health now. Well, physically. Psychologically, the picture isn't so rosy.
Which is why I steer clear of him most of the time.

--
Joyce

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me,
for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me
the hell alone. -- Unknown
Old September 17th 13, 07:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 9/15/2013 3:19 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
On 9/14/2013 2:49 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Case in point: "Lady Day" (jazz singer Billy Holiday). But she was
far from the only jazz musician who started with marijuana, then
graduated to the hard stuff.

Janis Joplin, Hendrix, yada yada yada. How about people you know?
Did you ever meet someone who was suddenly a drug addict because they
smoked pot?

SFAIK, I never knew anyone who smoked pot! (Except for professional
jazz musicians, my generation just didn't.)

Yes, different generation. Or those who did kept it well hidden. (I
never knew any professional jazz musicians, either.)

At any rate, I'm not promoting smoking pot. I'm just saying I never saw
any evidence of it leading to harder drugs among my peer group.

Jill

I've never known anybody who smoked it, that I knew about. However, I once
worked for an attorney. He had a lawyer friend who had to give up his
practice because he said smoking marijuana fried his brain.

Joy

Old September 17th 13, 07:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bastette" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

m...

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

You're right about my generation. I was born in '35.

Joy

Old September 17th 13, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/16/2013 6:47 PM, Bastette wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

Again, it depends on the drug. I don't believe marijuana is addictive.

Neither is alcohol (in theory) but that doesn't prevent an awful lot of
people being addicted to it!

Alcohol has far more addictive properties than marijuana. Alcoholics develop
a tolerance to the drug and then require more and more to achieve the same
effect. Their body becomes dependent on it and withdrawing is a difficult
phase of becoming sober.

The DT's (delirium tremens) are a *very* physical withdrawal symptom.

I don't think marijuana has any of those properties,
on either the chemical or biological level. However, it's true that some
people get psychologically dependent to it. They might appear to be similar
to alcoholics, but technically, they're different issues.

I agree. I didn't have any trouble giving up marijuana. Would I try it
again if offered? Quite possibly. I know from experience even if I
enjoyed it, I can easily walk away from it. BTDT.

I think alcoholism may be genetic. My dad's father was an alcoholic.
(This was a grandfather I rarely saw. Dad's parents divorced during
WWII while Dad was in the South Pacific. Grandpa moved to Washington
State.)

My dad was an alcoholic and so were his two brothers, one older, one
younger.

Fortunately, Dad quit drinking in 1976. We never knew why he suddenly
decided to quit. He just came home one day and told Mom he was giving
up drinking. I suspect he had some near-miss that really shook him. I
can't tell you the number of times Mom was called to come pick him up at
some bar.

After he stopped drinking he craved sugar and caffeine. He insisted on
having candy (mostly M&M's) or other sweets in the house. I suspect
this is why AA meetings have coffee and doughnuts. It's not simply to
be hospitable.

Dad did "fall off the wagon" when his older brother died at around age
60. He flew there for the funeral. Then he disappeared for three days.
He'd gone on a "bender". He quit drinking again once he got home.

Jill
Old September 17th 13, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/16/2013 10:54 PM, Bastette wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

I used to know people who would occasionally smoke pot on their lunch
break in high school (1970's).

Ah, the "dazed and confused" generation.

I have a sneaking suspicion my Dad tried it when he was in Vietnam.

If that's all he did drug-wise, he was lucky. Lots of vets came back from
Vietnam with serious heroin habits.

That's very true. I really doubt my father tried anything harder. He
was so straight-laced Marine Corps his combat boots squeaked. LOL But I
can picture him (an officer) just trying to be one of the guys. He
probably took a toke or two.

Mom once asked me what it was like to smoke pot. I stammered, "uh,
uh... ask my brothers!"

LOL. I have to tell you about my family. We were all degenerates. My dad
smoked pot when I was still in high school. My sister and I would raid his
stash from time to time - what was he going to do, confront us?

Probably not!

Then he'd
have to admit that he was smoking it, too. We only did it when we were
out of our own, because the stuff he had was terrible, probably home-grown.
I lived in Massachusetts, so "home-grown" was synonymous with poor quality.

"Skunk weed". LOL I don't know where these high school kids got their
seeds. Sometimes it was bad, other times nice.

It wasn't like sunny California. Also, it was a long time ago, before the
stuff was bred to be stronger. On the other hand, you could buy an ounce
for $20.

In my day it was $15 ounce. Most teenagers could afford that simply on
an allowance from of mowing lawns, washing cars, babysitting.

After all the experimentation, my dad was the only one who had developed
a real habit. He continued to smoke and do other drugs for years after the
rest of us had decided we'd had enough. I don't think he's still doing it,
not after his quintuple bypass 10 years ago. In spite of all that (the
years of various drugs and smoking cigarettes), he's in surprisingly good
health now. Well, physically. Psychologically, the picture isn't so rosy.

Wow. I'm sorry about your dad, but at least he's in good physical
condition.

Which is why I steer clear of him most of the time.

Is it possible he has Alzheimers? Not talking about using "drugs" now,
just wondering.

Jill