[OT]

Old September 11th 05, 02:26 AM
Karen

in article , Wayne Mitchell at
wrote on 9/10/05 8:00 PM:

"Yowie" wrote:

Found this and thought it was interesting:

Which philosopher are you?
http://selectsmart.com/PHILOSOPHY/

Apprantly I'm Spinoza & Aristotle, but when Shmogg did the test, he said
that he didn't care much for humanity, it was felinity that was important to
him.

Fair enough, I guess.

Yowie

Sartre - 100%; Ayn Rand - 88%;
then Spinoza, Stoics, Mill and Kant

Interesting. I shouldn't have thought I would have so much in
common with Rand -- or Sartre, come to think of it.

100% Sartre here.

Old September 11th 05, 02:30 AM
LazyRaptor

100% John Stuart Mill, 95% Immanuel Kant, 85% Jean-Paul Sartre, 85%
Jeremy Bentham

I've always admired Mill, so I'm glad I'm 100% with him. As far as I
know, nobody has ever been able to figure out what the hell Kant meant
by what he said, so who cares...hey, wait; people say that about me,
too...hmmm.
Sartre was a cool sort of guy, O.K., and Bentham, never heard of him,
but I looked at his picture just now and the expression on his face
looks like he's got real bad hemorrhoids or something; not a cheery
kind of guy I guess. Oh well.
Interesting little test. Thanks for sharing.

Old September 11th 05, 02:40 AM
Christina Websell

"Yowie" wrote in message
Found this and thought it was interesting:

Which philosopher are you?
http://selectsmart.com/PHILOSOPHY/

Apprantly I'm Spinoza & Aristotle, but when Shmogg did the test, he said
that he didn't care much for humanity, it was felinity that was important
to him.

Fair enough, I guess.

Yowie

! am 100% Aquinas
87% Spinoza
83% Aristotle

12 listed, right down to 15% Thomas Hobbes.

The cats declined the test. It's been raining all day and they don't wish
to be disturbed from their snuggly place on the bed in the spare bedroom,
thank you very much..

Tweed

Old September 11th 05, 03:03 AM
Mark Edwards

No cluons were harmed when "Yowie"
wrote:
Found this and thought it was interesting:

Which philosopher are you?
http://selectsmart.com/PHILOSOPHY/

Here's how I fared (19 listed):

Kant (100%)
Jean-Paul Sartre (89%)
Epicureans (80%)
John Stuart Mill (78%)
Ockham (72%)
Spinoza (72%)
Prescriptivism (66%)
Aquinas (62%)
Nietzsche (59%)
St. Augustine (51%)
Jeremy Bentham (50%)
Ayn Rand (46%)
Stoics (46%)
David Hume (45%)
Aristotle (43%)
Thomas Hobbes (40%)
Nel Noddings (39%)
Plato (22%)
Cynics (19%)

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old September 11th 05, 03:06 AM
Smokie Darling (Annie)

Kreisleriana wrote:
On 10 Sep 2005 16:45:53 -0700, "Smokie Darling (Annie)"
yodeled:

Yowie wrote:
Found this and thought it was interesting:

Which philosopher are you?
http://selectsmart.com/PHILOSOPHY/

Apprantly I'm Spinoza & Aristotle, but when Shmogg did the test, he said
that he didn't care much for humanity, it was felinity that was important to
him.

Fair enough, I guess.

Yowie

100% Aquinas,

Are you Catholic? I knew I would get a heavy Aquinas score with my
background. But Aquinas + J.S. Mill-- pretty bizarre, but somehow
describes me perfectly.

Theresa

Well, I was baptized and went to church, but never Sunday School. Was
in parochial school, but don't remember much religion being taught,
though it almost had to be, right? I'm a mixture of things (American
Indian cultures, Catholicism, LDS, "Christian").

Ah, I don't think you're bizarre, are you? Lord knows I *am*.

Smokie Darling (Annie)

Old September 11th 05, 03:42 AM
Christina Websell

"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Yowie wrote:
[...]

I don't think it's bizarre to have been influenced by different cultures and
religions and not be able to decide to fall exactly into any of it.
Religion-wise, I have been influenced by the Church of England in which I
was brought up, also LDS because as I have posted before, many of my family
are practicising LDS. And, wow, do they practise!!
I tried the LDS for a while, but didn't think I would be able to live the
life and stopped short of baptism. I was right, I could never have managed
it.
Instead, I live by the principles I think are right. It's sort of my own
religion and it's a mixture. Maybe even a little bit of Buddhism thrown in
as I won't even kill an insect unless I can help it.
As for culture, it's very multicultural in my nearest city and I now
cook/eat predominantly Asian food.

Tweed

Old September 11th 05, 04:15 AM
Marina

Yowie wrote:
Found this and thought it was interesting:

Which philosopher are you?
http://selectsmart.com/PHILOSOPHY/

Apprantly I'm Spinoza & Aristotle, but when Shmogg did the test, he said
that he didn't care much for humanity, it was felinity that was important to
him.

Fair enough, I guess.

Heh, I'm 100% Sartre. Frank thinks the test was inferior since it never
even mentioned felinity.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old September 11th 05, 04:49 AM
Victor Martinez

Yowie wrote:
Apprantly I'm Spinoza & Aristotle, but when Shmogg did the test, he said
that he didn't care much for humanity, it was felinity that was important to
him.

I'm Aquinas (darn, I thought I was free of all that catholic dogma) 100%
and Aristotle 93%. I guess that kinda balances it out.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old September 11th 05, 02:19 PM
Petra Zinnen

"Yowie" wrote:

Which philosopher are you?
http://selectsmart.com/PHILOSOPHY/

100 % Aquinas (no, I'm not catholic, not even religious)
89 % Aristotle
88 % Nietzsche (must be my german heritage *g*)
88 % David Hume (never heard of him)
83 % Plato
77 % Stoics
73 % Cynics
70 % Ockham
68 % St. Augustine
67 % Jeremy Bentham
65 % Jean Paul Sartre
64 % Spinoza
61 % Ayn Rand
50 % John Stuart Mill
50 % Kant
50 % Nel Noddings
46 % Epicureans
40 % Thomas Hobbes
38 % Prescriptivism

Petra
Old September 11th 05, 02:48 PM
jmcquown

Yowie wrote:
Found this and thought it was interesting:

Which philosopher are you?
http://selectsmart.com/PHILOSOPHY/

Apprantly I'm Spinoza & Aristotle, but when Shmogg did the test, he
said that he didn't care much for humanity, it was felinity that was
important to him.

Fair enough, I guess.

Yowie

I'm Aristotle. However, since I've never read the works of *any*
philosopher nor taken a class in philosophy, I have no idea what this means

Jill