raw feeding / home diets - opinions?

Old April 12th 04, 01:21 AM
PawsForThought

From: "Lotte"

What do people here think of them? Does anyone here make their own
cat food? I like the idea, but I'm afraid I would leave out some essential
nutrient, or else my cats would get sick from the raw meat. Is there any
such thing as a home made cooked meat diet? I guess at that point, it's
just as easy to feed canned food, eh. It's just that I don't know what's
*in* the canned food, completely... I guess I wonder if the benefit of
making home made food is worth it, in terms of improving cats' health.
Thoughts anyone? -- L.

Hi Lotte,
I've been feeding my cats a homemade raw diet for almost 4 years. They are
really do great on it. It is more work than feeding a commercial food, but I
feel it's worth it in my case. The main thing is to be consistent and not get
lazy when preparing the food. Also, in a raw diet, making a diet with a lot of
variety is important. It was a bit overwhelming at first and I also had fears
about it. But now it's second nature to put the food together and after seeing
how well my kitties are doing on it, I feel a lot more confident. If you're
interested in feeding a homemade diet, whether raw or cooked, I would recommend
doing a lot of research on it first. There are some good books out there as
well as lots of websites. I have a link in my signature for the raw diet.
Lastly, if you do decide you want to feed raw, you can email me and I can hook
you up with a couple of great raw feeding lists. There are people on the lists
that have been feeding raw for a long time. One in particular has been feeding
raw for over 30 years and she has provided wonderful guidance for me. As to
raw versus cooked, from all that I've learned, it really is better for the cat
to feed a raw diet. Cats have a much shorter digestive tract than we do and
were meant to digest raw meat. Just like you would practice safe handling for
your own food, you would do the same when preparing your pet's food.

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Old April 12th 04, 02:11 AM
Lotte

"Cheryl" wrote in message
"Lotte" dumped this in
on 11 Apr 2004:

It seems to me there is a
market for a cat food mix that owners can mix with *cooked* meat, to
avoid the raw meat disease/bacteria issues.

Wysong makes such a product.

--
Cheryl

Cheryl -- Can you recall the name? I'll look at Wysong's website also.
Thx -- L.

Old April 12th 04, 08:06 PM
Alison in OH

Gail wrote:
Why is raw meat superior to cooked meat for cats?
Gail

Because it comes attached to the raw bones that are essential to their
oral health.

-Alison in OH

Old April 13th 04, 02:18 PM
Alison in OH

Cheryl wrote:
"Lotte" dumped this

"Cheryl" wrote

"Lotte" dumped this:

It seems to me there is a
market for a cat food mix that owners can mix with *cooked* meat, to
avoid the raw meat disease/bacteria issues.

Wysong makes such a product.

Cheryl -- Can you recall the name? I'll look at Wysong's website also.
Thx -- L.

If I'm understanding correctly what you're looking for, my first thought
was Wysong Archetype.

Archetype is a complete diet. I think Vegan is the one that's supposed
to be supplemented by a protein source of your choice.

-Alison in OH

Feeding time! Lois Reay Cat anecdotes 4 October 15th 03 12:09 AM
Tube feeding for liver disease?? Bill from Tampa Cat health & behaviour 10 August 20th 03 12:25 AM