Justice for Shadow and Poppy Petition

Old April 15th 04, 04:51 AM
Cat Protector

It does not hurt to try.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Dennis Carr" wrote in message
news
I actually didn't sign it - and won't. Online petitions hold about as
much water as a sieve in the Mojave desert.

http://tinyurl.com/3gp9s

Like the article as linked (goes to Snopes, BTW) suggests, you're better
off writing your congresscritters.

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old April 15th 04, 05:10 AM
Karen M.

Laura R. wrote:

circa 14 Apr 2004 14:31:20 -0700, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Karen M. ) said,

Even though I don't like dogs I signed it. What this guy has done is
disgusting and cats could be next.

God you're a moron.

snort My thoughts exactly. Well, actually, I was leaning more
towards "headcase", but... ;-)

Laura

Yes, there's so many things wrong with what written in those two
sentences. You could probably build an upper-level psych course around
them...

Old April 15th 04, 05:50 AM
Dennis Carr

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:57:23 -0400, justice for animals wrote:

please reconsider your position on this issue, not only for this case,
but in general. you *can* make a difference.

The problem remains that there is too much padding that's possible, and a
list of 2000 email addresses is something that can and will be considered
arbitrary. I can create an infinite number of email addresses on
my computer here, pretend they're all my (l)users, and sign the petition
with each of those addresses. Your count will go to 2000 in a heartbeat,
but it'll count for nothing because, QED, I can pad the dataset with
garbage, and if I can pad it, so can anybody else - including the
petitioner. With no validation mechanism (in this case, a validation
mechanism would be PGP/GPG signatures or something similar collected
with the email addresses), the data is spectacularly useless to anybody
but a marketing firm.

I hate to sound callous, then, but there is really nothing to reconsider.
You are certainly wise to get the word out on this and raise Cain about
it, and God's blessings to you for that, it needs to be done - but an OLP
won't work for a hill of beans if I want something done. You gotta write
your congresscritters. If I want laws to change or otherwise raise
concerns with federal government, Rep. Loretta Sanchez' office is walking
distance from my home, and Sen's Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer are
but a mailbox and three days away - and if I want to go to the state,
well, somehow or another, writing a letter to Arnold "The Governator"
Schwarzenegger up in Sacramento just seems kinda cool. =^^=

And that, sir, is precisely what I have done. Now what they can do for
some random furry fan with cats is left as an exercise to the reader, but
I think the answers are in the questions raised.