[OT] Experiences with Xylitol (sugar substitute)?

Old April 3rd 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Experiences with Xylitol (sugar substitute)?

Have you looked into stevia? It is a sweet herb that you get from health
food store. It is much sweeter than sugar and you only need a little bit.
I read a book on stevia once and if I recall coreectly, stevia can be used
for baking.
I've only used it in my tea as I hardly ever do any baking.

Winnie

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Someone pointed me to Xylitol as a sugar substitute, particularly for
baking. It apparently has dental benefits and fewer calories than
sugar. This person said that she has even made a creme brule that
turned out beautifully. I think she said that, in a recipe calling
for sugar, she uses half that amount of Xylitol instead.

Has anyone else used this, either as a sweetener or in baking? What
are your experiences?

I read that it can have a laxative effect in large doses ... that
doesn't sound wonderful, but I wonder if the average person using it
in normal situations notices the effect.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 4th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Have you looked into stevia? It is a sweet herb that you get from health
food store. It is much sweeter than sugar and you only need a little bit.
I read a book on stevia once and if I recall coreectly, stevia can be
used for baking.
I've only used it in my tea as I hardly ever do any baking.
Winnie

DIL works in executive offices of WildOats....she got me using
stevia instead of Equal.....that lasted about 2 months; stevia now
has same awful effect as Splenda on me. Welcome to the club,
Yowie; you seem to be somewhat worse off w/Splenda than
I am.....from my experience w/stevia, it took lots more drops
(it's a liquid) than Equal to get the same sweetness in hot drinks.

Old April 4th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote:

I read that it can have a laxative effect in large doses ... that
doesn't sound wonderful, but I wonder if the average person using it
in normal situations notices the effect.

So many "diabetic" foods are made with sugar alcohols (xylitol,
manitol, sorbitol, etc.), and so many people are strongly
affected by their laxative properties, that it has become a joke
among informed diabetics, who mostly won't go near the
"diabetic" section of the supermarket.

--

Wayne M.
Old April 4th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-03, W. Leong penned:
Have you looked into stevia? It is a sweet herb that you get from
health food store. It is much sweeter than sugar and you only need a
little bit. I read a book on stevia once and if I recall coreectly,
stevia can be used for baking. I've only used it in my tea as I
hardly ever do any baking.

I haven't tried it yet. If it's much sweeter than sugar, I wonder
about the baking, because I think baking has very specific
requirements to turn out right. It's hard to imagine that baking
something with, say, 1/8 the amount of sugar (or sugar-like substance)
would turn out right.

I'm no baking expert, though. I just like the occasional corn bread
or muffin. I found a great recipe for banana muffins (advertised as
mountain biking muffins, but I haven't tested them on the trail yet!)

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 4th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-04, Wayne Mitchell penned:

So many "diabetic" foods are made with sugar alcohols (xylitol,
manitol, sorbitol, etc.), and so many people are strongly affected
by their laxative properties, that it has become a joke among
informed diabetics, who mostly won't go near the "diabetic" section
of the supermarket.

Interesting. Somewhat scary.

Well, I bought a bag of little single-serving Xylitol packs. DH
surprised me by actually trying some. He said, "Wow, if this isn't
actually sugar, it's pretty damn good!" I also couldn't find
anything objectionable in the taste. I guess we'll see about the
other issue.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 4th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Well, the reason I'm looking at it is because it's not artificial --
it's sugar made from other plants, like corn and raspberries. It's
called sugar alcohol, I think. It also supposedly reduces cavities
quite a bit. I could use all the help I can get in that dept.

Xylitol is a Finnish discovery, and is manufactured from birch syrup (at
least it was originally). Many studies have shown that it is good for
your teeth. Here in Finland, kindergarten kids are given a xylitol gum
after lunch for their teeth. I don't know how to use it for baking, but
I do eat Xylitol daily (in mints) and I haven't had a laxative effect
from them. I can't eat sweeteners like sorbitol, mannitol and maltitol
because they give me terrible tummy cramps, so if xylitol had that
effect, I would probably have those problems with it.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old April 4th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Well, I bought a bag of little single-serving Xylitol packs. DH
surprised me by actually trying some. He said, "Wow, if this isn't
actually sugar, it's pretty damn good!"

I bought some brown sugar that was half splenda (ie, real sugar and
splenda combined). It was for baking, but I tried it in my tea. UGH,
it tasted vile. I'm not sure why, though, since I don't mind splenda
in my tea - when I visited my mother a couple of months ago, I was
using that because my sister had packed the sugar! It wasn't bad. So
I don't know why the splenda/brown sugar combo tasted so bad. Maybe
the bad taste would be hidden in baked goods.

Joyce
Old April 4th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie wrote:
If you are looking for something to substitute for sugar, I'd go fructose,
the fruit sugar. Its twice as sweet, weight for weight, as normal table
sugar (and therefore effectively half the calories), but is in no way
"artificial", and you should be able to cook with it.

Fructose is alright for baking, but you have to use a little more
raising agent (baking powder, yeast) or it won't rise. It still doesn't
rise as well as with sugar. And as Vicky said, it's much sweeter than
sugar.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old April 4th 06, 10:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-03, Karen penned:
I absolutely can't due sugar substitutes. Never have been able to.
Splenda maaaaybe in tiny amounts. And if what we were emailing about
is a problem for you, I've read and read that sugar substitutes are
WAY up on the list of offenders. I wouldn't do it.

Well, the reason I'm looking at it is because it's not artificial --
it's sugar made from other plants, like corn and raspberries. It's
called sugar alcohol, I think. It also supposedly reduces cavities
quite a bit. I could use all the help I can get in that dept.

I also can't stand artificial sweeteners. Splenda grosses me out.
Nutrasweet? Forget it.

I don't know anything about Xylitol except that it's in gum and mints you
can get over here in Asia. I've never had a problem with it in that
respect.
But have you tried Stevia? It's also a natural sweetener made from a herb.
It is much sweeter than any of the other sweeteners and you only need to use
a tiny bit. Not sure if you can bake with it though.
--
Britta

Old April 4th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

You can also buy stevia leaves. They look like tea leaves. Some said the
leaves
are better since they have not been processed.

Winnie

"badwilson" wrote in message

"dnr" wrote in message
Have you looked into stevia? It is a sweet herb that you get from
health
food store. It is much sweeter than sugar and you only need a little

bit.
I read a book on stevia once and if I recall coreectly, stevia can be
used for baking.
I've only used it in my tea as I hardly ever do any baking.
Winnie

DIL works in executive offices of WildOats....she got me using
stevia instead of Equal.....that lasted about 2 months; stevia now
has same awful effect as Splenda on me. Welcome to the club,
Yowie; you seem to be somewhat worse off w/Splenda than
I am.....from my experience w/stevia, it took lots more drops
(it's a liquid) than Equal to get the same sweetness in hot drinks.

It's not always drops, I've only ever used the little packets of Stevia
powder. 1 packet (same size as Equal packet) will sweeten 2 litres of
tea,
I'd have to use 3 or 4 packets of Splenda or Equal for that amount of
sweetening.
--
Britta