Boo has a breast lump

Old July 10th 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Candace

Default Boo has a breast lump

On Jul 9, 1:04*pm, "cybercat" wrote:

Prayers and good wishes fort he little Boo would be much appreciated. She
got lots of goodies as soon as we got home.

I am praying for Boo and sending good thoughts her way.

Candace

Old July 10th 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

We'll keep good thoughts that everything goes well for Boo tomorrow.

S.
---
"cybercat" wrote in message
Thanks to all who sent good wishes.

The vet did a needle biopsy and said, "the cells are changing." [A nice
way to say "cancer."]

So we will have it out first thing tomorrow morning.

I asked if the vet felt anything else, and she said "No, but when she's
out tomorrow we will have a really good feel and look around to make
sure."

The total cost, including today's visit and the surgery tomorrow, for
everyone's reference: $350. They would set up payments if I wanted, but we
have it now.

I had the impression that if I had said, "Well, I'll go home and talk it
over with my husband" as many probably do who never come back, there would
have been a separate charge for today, and other charges that would have
added up to more. So it is good all the way around that we are having it
done right away.

She was so good, she made not one sound when they did the biopsy. I love
my vet. I love that they do tests while you wait, and they praise the
kitties and are very sweet to them. It makes a big difference. (The
instant you touch this cat, even at the vet, she purrs.)

No food after ten tonight, she goes in 7-9 am tomorrow.

Old July 10th 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Update ( Boo has a breast lump)

Thanks so much to all of you for your support and presence. It's great to
have people who understand to talk to now. Nothing has changed except I know
a little more about her condition.

The pathologist report says "mostly round cell cancer" which is not good, as
it is apparently dense and fast growing. This is why it is so hard, and why
the vet frowned when she felt it. It is also apparently not a very common
cancer, as cancers go. Another, easier to treat kind, if I understand
correctly, is "mast cell" cancer.

I have not yet begun to google, just got home from dropping her off. When I
paid for the surgery the young woman said to a colleague "oh, Dr. Lewis is
coming in today to do this. This was supposed to be her day off." I asked if
she was coming just to do Boo'd surgery and she said yes. That really made
me feel better. There's a question on the form I had to sign before the
surgery, something like "if any circumstances arise while the patient is
under anesthesia that require further treatment or procedures: A. Do only
what has been discussed B. Call me before you do anything C. Do whatever is
necessary" I checked C, because I trust this doctor.

You are all right that it is very good we caught it early. A young lady I
spoke with who works at the vet said she saw a lump on her boxer's neck,
thought it was nothing, suddenly it was huge, and when she took him in there
was just nothing they could do for him due to the size and location.

We appreciate all good thoughts and prayers for Boo. I expect she will need
radiation therapy or chemotherapy for this type, to do everything we can to
see that it does not come back. One really cool thing: over the past months
I have picked up a LOT of extra work, and just last night got a $600 job out
of the blue. I understand that many people whose animals get sick are not so
lucky and I am very grateful.

My husband and I talked, and we decided that we will go everything we can to
give her a fighting chance, any type of treatments and repeat sugery if it
is indicated. However--we will not be selfish and allow her to suffer just
to keep her with us. I guess we will just call it as it unfolds.

Thanks again. I will keep everyone posted about her progress.

Old July 10th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"cybercat" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the update - I was thinking about Boo all last night, I told DH
about her and he expressed his concerns too (he knows you "second-hand" ;)
We will, of course, keep you and Boo in our thoughts and prayers - the
clowder is sending their purrs.

Please let us know as soon as you hear how the surgery went.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 10th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot[_2_]

That's the smart thing to do. I agree with giving an animal a fighting
chance but when quality of life becomes an issue it's just as important to
give them peace and let them go from their pain.

Celeste

Old July 10th 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

We'll keep thinking good thoughts for Boo. I hope she can kick this thing.
Keep us posted on what happens.

S.
---

Old July 11th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Candace

On Jul 10, 6:04*am, "cybercat" wrote:
[...]

Wow, you sound so calm and rational. I know you probably don't feel
that way (but hope you truly do). I hope she can beat it. It sounds
as though your vet is compassionate and competent and like you have a
plan. Poor girl, I hope it all turns out positively in the end.

Candace
Old July 12th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Candace" wrote

I hope she can beat it. It sounds as though your vet is compassionate and
competent and like you have a
plan. Poor girl, I hope it all turns out positively in the end.

Thank you, Candace, this really means a lot. She's such a good girl. I
cannot believe she loves to
be touched so much that even at the vet, she begins purring the instant
anyone touches her. They
had her on her back, three or four hands on her, about to do the needle
biopsy, and she was
purring. (Is there anything cuter than a pudgy tuxedo with white socks lying
on their back with
their little white feets up? Hmm, Sexy Soxy? )

We really do come to love them so much. It's always staggering to think
about them hurting, or
to think about losing them.

I am amazed by this vet and even the techs and receptionists. I know they
see a lot of animals,
but when they seem to see yours as special, and they are kind and
considerate, it really goes
a long way during times like this.

Lump on gum? SoundCat Cat health & behaviour 3 February 5th 06 12:41 PM
Cat has lump [email protected] Cats - misc 0 May 9th 05 04:48 PM
OT Woman Breast Feeds Dog Bev Cat anecdotes 44 November 20th 04 09:31 PM
Yowie "The Lump" SUQKRT Cat anecdotes 6 February 12th 04 08:16 PM
Young FIV cat has breast cancer Patricia Cat health & behaviour 15 November 14th 03 02:19 AM