Getting New Cats, Seeking Advice Thereupon

Old July 10th 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Default Cat Panting (Was: Getting New Cats, Seeking Advice Thereupon)

Well, I did some more reading and the general concensus is that if the cat
is running around a lot and may be experiencing some stress (which this cat
was) panting may not be unusual. She was out again last night and I did not
see her pant. So, I guess I'll just keep an eye on her for now.

And yes, I think she is a little bonkers too.....

S.
---
"-Lost" wrote in message
Response to "blkcatgal" :

snip

Yes, the panting is dog-like...tongue hanging out, heavy
breathing. It really has me concerned. I've read that a cat
should not pant like a dog and would only pant if there was a
medical problem or the cat is stressed.

OK, Gabby's is heavy kitty breathing and wide-eyes. As far as I know
(which is not very far):

1. Cats don't drool...
2. Cats don't pant...

...unless something is wrong. I've read a few personal accounts of
stress-induced panting, but all veterinary staff that I talked to
about it says it means something is medically wrong -- and stress
just kicked it off.

Then again, "medically wrong" could mean psycho -- as is the case
with Gabby. He's plum bonkers.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Old July 11th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Janet

Default Getting New Cats, Seeking Advice Thereupon

"Robotech_Master" wrote in message
g...
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:21:32 -0500, CatNipped
wrote:

Before deciding on what food to feed, I would *HIGHLY* recommend
you read this: http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

Thanks--some very useful and interesting information there. I will
definitely take it to heart.

I've tried feeding my cat both dry food and canned food. (On the advice of
cat-owning friends, and also the practice at the cat shelter.) Originally, I
was feeding her about a quarter of a can every morning, plus free-feeding
dry. Water is always available. (Interestingly, she refuses to drink water
from a dish I set next to her food dishes, and instead drinks from the dog's
bowl.) After a month or so, though, her interest in the canned food dropped
to nothing. I switched around the flavors, to no avail. I've been accustomed
to thinking of canned foods, even the premium ones, as poor quality--since
that is true of dog food--so I just shrugged and stopped buying cans.
Recently, I opened the last can that I had left from my last attempt. She
took at most a mouthful when I put it out, and left the rest. I
refrigerated it and offered it at several other times, but she had no
interest. She strongly prefers kibble.

Since she is estimated to be about 5 years old, according to her teeth, are
her habits already established? What about feeding her plain tuna packed in
water? That was all I had to give her when she first appeared on my
doorstep, and she liked it then. (Of course, she was REALLY hungry.) Is it
too salty?

Is it sufficiently important that she not eat mostly kibble to keep buying
various brands of canned food and trying them out on her? Does switching the
food a lot encourage picky eating, as it does in dogs? Any advice?

Old July 11th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Janet" wrote:

(Interestingly, she refuses to drink water
from a dish I set next to her food dishes, and instead drinks from the dog's
bowl.)

My cats have always been like that as well. I even got one of those
Drinkwell things, but they didn't drink from it.

After a month or so, though, her interest in the canned food dropped
to nothing. I switched around the flavors, to no avail. I've been accustomed
to thinking of canned foods, even the premium ones, as poor quality--since
that is true of dog food--so I just shrugged and stopped buying cans.

It's not true of many canned dog foods available today either.

refrigerated it and offered it at several other times, but she had no
interest. She strongly prefers kibble.

My cats have always preferred kibble as well, and don't like cold canned
food. I took them off kibble entirely for awhile and now he (only cat
now) only gets some EVO at bedtime.

Since she is estimated to be about 5 years old, according to her teeth, are
her habits already established? What about feeding her plain tuna packed in
water? That was all I had to give her when she first appeared on my
doorstep, and she liked it then. (Of course, she was REALLY hungry.) Is it
too salty?

Tuna has a few issues apparently. Have you tried pieces vs pate style?
My cats really only wanted pate with the exception of Solid Gold tuna.

Is it sufficiently important that she not eat mostly kibble to keep buying
various brands of canned food and trying them out on her? Does switching the
food a lot encourage picky eating, as it does in dogs? Any advice?

I don't know that it encourages picky eating in either species. I use
Wellness canned for the cat for the most part. I buy the small cans.
More expensive, but I don't refrigerate it that way. I do put a lid on
it between meals (half a can each meal). I buy all flavors but beef, as
that has not been popular. I've occasionally tried a new brand, but
with mixed results. A little Kitty Kaviar on top has encouraged Skip
to eat the canned.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old July 12th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Janet

"Janet Boss" wrote in message

snip

My cats have always preferred kibble as well, and don't like cold canned
food. I took them off kibble entirely for awhile and now he (only cat
now) only gets some EVO at bedtime.

I tried warming it up before I reoffered it, but she still didn't want it.
What's EVO?

Tuna has a few issues apparently. Have you tried pieces vs pate style?
My cats really only wanted pate with the exception of Solid Gold tuna.

No, all of the food I've bought has been pate style. Most of it has been
Nutro, although there was some other similar brand I tried back when she was
still eating it.

I use
Wellness canned for the cat for the most part. I buy the small cans.
More expensive, but I don't refrigerate it that way. I do put a lid on
it between meals (half a can each meal). I buy all flavors but beef, as
that has not been popular. I've occasionally tried a new brand, but
with mixed results. A little Kitty Kaviar on top has encouraged Skip
to eat the canned.

Wellness is a brand I used to feed my dogs. (I switched in order to be able
to buy it more conveniently, but they did well on it.) So you can leave
covered cat food out for half a day? (I'm assuming that they should have two
meals a day? I haven't addressed that issue because I've been free feeding
kibble....) What is Kitty Kaviar?

Old July 12th 08, 11:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Janet" wrote:

I tried warming it up before I reoffered it, but she still didn't want it.
What's EVO?

Innova EVO. It's a grain free food. The dry is like kitty crack it
seems.

Wellness is a brand I used to feed my dogs. (I switched in order to be able
to buy it more conveniently, but they did well on it.) So you can leave
covered cat food out for half a day? (I'm assuming that they should have two
meals a day? I haven't addressed that issue because I've been free feeding
kibble....) What is Kitty Kaviar?

I wouldn't do it for 24 hours, but for the 11 between meals, yes. Kitty
Kaviar is flaked dried bonito.

Old July 12th 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Janet" wrote

Since she is estimated to be about 5 years old, according to her teeth,
are her habits already established? What about feeding her plain tuna
packed in water? That was all I had to give her when she first appeared on
my doorstep, and she liked it then. (Of course, she was REALLY hungry.) Is
it too salty?

You could try regular human food treats (made without salt, like some of the
breast off a baked chicken).

Is it sufficiently important that she not eat mostly kibble to keep buying
various brands of canned food and trying them out on her? Does switching
the food a lot encourage picky eating, as it does in dogs? Any advice?

In my experience, swapping about a little tends to prevent picky eating.