Itchy ears

Old August 17th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Itchy ears

Why does this kind of thing always manifest on a Saturday evening?

Meep's got at least one intensely itchy ear. Enough that she's got one
tiny bloody spot - I think she stabbed herself.

She's on Revolution, so she shouldn't have ear mites (was applied at the
beginning of the month. Also, she's an indoor cat, though she's been on
our deck, and we have bird feeders.

I can't see anything obviously wrong with her ears, nothing's moving in
there, but at the base of her ear it feels rough, looks like there's
small black adhesions causing the roughness - like find coffee grinds,
which does make me think of mites. It doesn't look particularly nasty
in her ears, no waxy buildup or anything else obviously amiss. Just the
roughness and black speckles at the base of her ears.

If this continues she'll be going to the vet on Monday. In the
meantime, I'd like to know what this could be, and is there anything I
can do for her until the vet appointment to help her not be so itchy?
I'm concerned she might do herself more damage.

I remember a long time ago with my previous vet, he suggested a couple
of drops of hydrogen peroxide in her ears. That actually worked, but
I'm not sure why, and if that's a recommended treatment for ear problems
anymore...

Thanks for any advice!

jmc
Old August 17th 08, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

My vet recommended a drop of mineral oil in the ear and massaging it in when
my cat had some waxy build-up in her ear.

S.
---