A neosporin and peroxide moment

Old July 10th 09, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

Default A neosporin and peroxide moment

I don't often clip my cats claws and leave it to the vet but tightening the
budget has left me having to do this myself for 4 cats (I can't do Bonnie at
all; I can't even catch her).

The first 3 went off without a hitch earlier this week but when trying to do
Patches, it was a terrorizing task. She obviously has never had her claws
clipped other than at the vet when I first took her in, and I should have
remembered what a traumatic experience that was for her then, but I forgot.

She fought and fought me and howled and screamed and growled and clawed and
bit me. I finally got both front paws done only because I didn't want to
stop and pick up later and get injured more. I have clawed arms, even the
palms of my hands, my chest; the bites didn't break the skin. I think she
was just warning me with the bites because I know she can do damage. Ditto
my face didn't get clawed but I could see her getting ready to go on the
defensive and that's a vulnerable spot and I think she knows that. We got
through it and I held her to calm her down and whispered and sang softly to
her until she stopped growling (about 20 minutes). Then I went into the
bathroom to clean up my wounds.

--
Cheryl

Old July 10th 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Cheryl" wrote:
She fought and fought me and howled and screamed and growled and clawed and
bit me. I finally got both front paws done only because I didn't want to
stop and pick up later and get injured more. I have clawed arms, even the
palms of my hands, my chest; the bites didn't break the skin. I think she
was just warning me with the bites because I know she can do damage. Ditto
my face didn't get clawed but I could see her getting ready to go on the
defensive and that's a vulnerable spot and I think she knows that. We got
through it and I held her to calm her down and whispered and sang softly to
her until she stopped growling (about 20 minutes). Then I went into the
bathroom to clean up my wounds.

OMG, how fierce! You might want to put on an old denim jacket or
something like that when clipping her. I think she'll improve though.
She may never like being clipped, but she may at least get to the
point where she'll decide to let you live.

In my limited experience - three cats, I couldn't clip any of them
successfully at first, but they got easier as passed, and they
understood that whatever I was doing to their paws with the funny
little tool was not going to be painful.

So you don't need to do all their claws at once. I've accepted it as
normal if the first few times I try, I don't manage to clip even a
single claw - it's just the necessary acclimation stage.

Old July 11th 09, 12:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Cheryl wrote:
snip
She fought and fought me and howled and screamed and growled and clawed
and bit me. I finally got both front paws done only because I didn't
want to stop and pick up later and get injured more. I have clawed
arms, even the palms of my hands, my chest; the bites didn't break the
skin. I think she was just warning me with the bites because I know she
can do damage. Ditto my face didn't get clawed but I could see her
getting ready to go on the defensive and that's a vulnerable spot and I
think she knows that. We got through it and I held her to calm her down
and whispered and sang softly to her until she stopped growling (about
20 minutes). Then I went into the bathroom to clean up my wounds.

Ow. Owowow.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old July 11th 09, 12:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

This is why I firmly wrap mine in a big bath towel when I do this. Yes it
is traumatic for them but, it gets done quicker and, I can fish out the paw
I want, keep the head covered, at least next to me.

Old July 12th 09, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

hopitus wrote:
I am also the Chuck Norris (LOL no firearms for claw clipping) as well
as pilling.

I actually haven't seen Chuck Norris in anything where he used guns -
I know that he's a martial artist and film star, and I think I've only
seen him in three things - a movie in which he was a ninja, another
where he fought Bruce Lee, and a commercial in which he was hawking an
ab exercise machine.

So I'm not much of an expert on him, so if you want to know more, you
may want to ask Pam S.
Old July 12th 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

Poor Patches and poor you.

I'm lucky in that I can have my daughter, the Bratlet, do the clipping.
However, when I'm in charge of nail biting, I wait until the victim is
drowsy, or even asleep. It goes that much easier. I also give treats when
I'm done so that they know that I have no hard feelings and that getting
your claws clipped can be a good thing.

Pam S.

Old July 12th 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Takayuki" wrote in message
hopitus wrote:
I am also the Chuck Norris (LOL no firearms for claw clipping) as well
as pilling.

I actually haven't seen Chuck Norris in anything where he used guns -
I know that he's a martial artist and film star, and I think I've only
seen him in three things - a movie in which he was a ninja, another
where he fought Bruce Lee, and a commercial in which he was hawking an
ab exercise machine.

So I'm not much of an expert on him, so if you want to know more, you
may want to ask Pam S.

Stinker, you remembered.

Pam S. grinning