Do cats get the flu? My cat is sick :(

Old October 12th 04, 02:20 PM
Haardvark2

Default Do cats get the flu? My cat is sick :(

Yesterday, my cat Bear wasn't her normal self. She stayed in and rested on the
couch. At that time I just figured she was napping. Nothing out of the
ordinary.

When I got home last night from work, I could see she wasn't feeling good. She
not eating and is weak. A few moments ago she threw up but no food was present.

She is a healthy cat and always has been so I'm not sure what is wrong. Is is
common for cats to get sick with a virus or flu like people do? She has all her
shots so I'm hoping its just a passing illness.

I'm hoping its nothing serious and that she gets better soon. I will be taking
her to the vet today.
Old October 12th 04, 04:43 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
Yesterday, my cat Bear wasn't her normal self. She stayed in and rested on the
couch. At that time I just figured she was napping. Nothing out of the
ordinary.

When I got home last night from work, I could see she wasn't feeling good. She
not eating and is weak. A few moments ago she threw up but no food was present.

She is a healthy cat and always has been so I'm not sure what is wrong. Is is
common for cats to get sick with a virus or flu like people do? She has all her
shots so I'm hoping its just a passing illness.

I'm hoping its nothing serious and that she gets better soon. I will be taking
her to the vet today.

If she goes outside, she could have eaten something bad or come in contact
with another sick cat. Cats do get viruses, much like people, and no
vaccination is 100% effective (just like the human flu vaccine, they help a
lot, but don't always prevent sickness).

More than likely, she'll get over it just fine, but if she ate a poisoned or
sick mouse or bird, or other bad substance, she could get very ill. I'd take
her to the vet just to be sure everything is cool, since she goes out and you
don't know what she might have gotten into. My cats have never vomited with a
normal "cold". So, it would worry me.
Then again, I DO tend to be a little overly willing to bring my cats in to
the vet. Better safe than sorry for me.

Hope Bear gets better.

~kaeli~
Once you've seen one shopping center, you've seen a mall.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old October 12th 04, 04:43 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Old October 12th 04, 07:03 PM
Priscilla H Ballou

Haardvark2 quoth:
Yesterday, my cat Bear wasn't her normal self. She stayed in and rested on the
couch. At that time I just figured she was napping. Nothing out of the
ordinary.
When I got home last night from work, I could see she wasn't feeling good. She
not eating and is weak. A few moments ago she threw up but no food was present.
She is a healthy cat and always has been so I'm not sure what is wrong. Is is
common for cats to get sick with a virus or flu like people do? She has all her
shots so I'm hoping its just a passing illness.
I'm hoping its nothing serious and that she gets better soon. I will be taking
her to the vet today.

After spending $400 and scaring Sebbie (who was at the time a
newly-socialized feral) by taking him to spend a weekend at the hospital
three years ago with what ended up being called "fever of unknown origin," I
give my cats 24 hours observation at home before calling in the vets when
they're lethargic, lose their appetite, or lose their lunch. (More
serious symptoms get them to the vet pronto.)

A few months ago a bug went through my (at the time) three cats. For each
it lasted 2 days: one day of lethargy with loss of appetite and/or
vomiting, one day of diarrhea, then back to normal. One by one they
started feeling poorly and then perked up again. I could have drawn a map
of the progress of the virus through the tribe. All well afterwards,
everyone back to top form eventually.

So, yes, cats can get bugs just like people. I don't know about the flu,
but minor bugs definitely.

Priscilla

Old October 12th 04, 10:57 PM
blkcatgal

I've wondered the same thing. I swear my cat had an upset stomach or a
"bug" one time. He threw up several times in a 24 hour period, didn't eat
much and was not acting his normal self. He's an indoor cat so I don't
think he got into something he shouldn't have. I called the vet, made an
appointment for the next day, fed him Hill's I/D (which is for intestinal
upsets), and gave him 1/4 of a pepcid. Next day he was fine, eating
normally, not vomiting. So I canceled the vet appointment. Vet tech did
tell me that cats can get upset stomachs sometimes. But it wouldn't hurt to
have your cat checked out if her condition continues for more than a day or
2.

S.