(OT) Me fall down, go boom

Old March 29th 05, 08:12 PM

Default (OT) Me fall down, go boom

Yesterday, I had to have my tax person, Barbara, do my taxes, as I do
every year. It's never fun, and it was worse this year because I had
to tell her it would be ahwile before I could pay her. Luckily, she's
an old friend and understanding, so it will be okay, and she *will*
get paid.

So I leave there, granny cart in tow, expecting to go pick up some
meds for me needles for Cosmo, and groceries.

I never make it out of the lot.

There is a culvert there. I am very aware it is there. It is in my
mind to be careful, but for some reason, I am looking for where the
bus stop is and not thinking and

BOOM!

I go down, hard.

I can't move. I have fallen and I can't get up. And I feel like some
stupid helpless old lady. I have done something to my left knee, and
twisted my right ankle, and I'm in the cold in a wet culvert, with no
one around on the busiest street in town. I start screaming.

Luckily, a kind passerby, Angie, stops to help me up and call for an
ambulance on her cell phone (much as I hate those things, there are
times when they are a *good* thing). My left knee looks like raw
meat. I am dizzy, maybe in shock a little. The EMTs are nice
fellows, and take a look at everything. They don't think the ankle is
broken, and don't think the knee needs stitches. That's a relief,
although I am in pain and can hardly walk. They get me to the back of
the ambulance to get warm and tell me they can take me to the hospital
or will take me home if I don't feel I need to go to the hospital.
Well, if nothing's broken and I don't need stitches, I'd just as soon
go home! So they kindly drive me home, while I talk to the one ENT
about his family of two Black Labs and one cat, and my family of eight
cats. He tells me to do the ice and elevation thing on my ankle, and
clean the wound on my knee with hydrogen peroxide and then use
antibiotic ointment, and take some Advil or something like that.

They help me up the stairs, and I do all the things he told me, and
lay down on the couch and cried for awhile.

Whatever I did to the Powers That Be, I take it back!

Ginger-lyn
hurtin', swellin' and achin'

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
http://www.i-love-cats.com/meow/glsummer/ (The Violence Against
Animals in Movies Website)
Old March 29th 05, 08:20 PM
Jo Firey

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Taxes and tight finances are quite
enough without this.

And just to make sure you don't forget the drill, it's RICE
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

Jo

Old March 29th 05, 08:24 PM
Margaret Fine

[...]

Oh Ginger-lyn, I hope you heal quickly! Rest! Sometimes those sprains
can be worse than if you just out and out broke it. Purrs you start to
feel better soon!

--
Margaret Fine

Old March 29th 05, 08:32 PM
Bob M

[...]

I hope you feel better really soon. I still have my cast on my right
hand and arm. I fell 2 weeks ago and fractured my hand and wrist. I find
out on Thursday if I need surgery to repair it. So I sympathize with
you. We can be in misery together. But purrs coming your way from Psycho
and Missy.

Bob

Old March 29th 05, 08:50 PM
Gabey8

OUCH! Prayers and purrs that you recover quickly! I know only too well what
it's like to hurt an ankle OR a knee.

So my advice is to do the "RICE" (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) think
for your knee AND your ankle. That probably means you'll need two ace
bandages, unless you've got a brace or something else handy for the knee
or the ankle.

Anti-inflammatories are your friends, too. As per an emergency room doc
(did I mention I know how it is to injure a knee or an ankle?) some years
ago, Tylenol helps with pain but not inflammation. For inflammation,
swelling, etc, you want to take aspirin or one of the other NSAID meds.

HOWEVER... keep track of how you're feeling. And if you don't feel like
you're improving fast enough, or if the discomfort is just too much to
deal with or it's too hard to get around, go to the ER or your regular
doctor anyway. Maybe you DO need to make sure nothing's broken, or maybe
you would do well to be using crutches, a brace, or a cane for a while.

I can empathize with the "I'd rather see if I can get through this myself,
first, instead of going to the emergency room". I've done it. (And I wound
up going to the ER the next day, when the swelling and pain were WORSE
instead of better even after doing the RICE thing overnight.)

Use the criteria, "If my cat was in this kind of shape, would I be on my
way to the vet with the kitty right now?" And then treat yourself the same
way. ;o)

Take care. Feel better.

Donna, Captain, and Stanley

Old March 29th 05, 08:54 PM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:12:11 GMT, yodeled:

[...]

Oh poor dear Ginger. That's one of those things about being grown up.
When you're little, you fall all the time, and bounce right back up
and get on your way. When you're grown up, you feel so much more
vulnerable and brittle, and falling is so traumatic and embarassing.
We're purring for your aches.

Theresa
Stinky Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh
Old March 29th 05, 09:04 PM
CatNipped

Ohmygawd, Ginger-lyn. Purrs coming your way that you get better quick and
that your luck will turn around soon.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 29th 05, 10:14 PM
Christina Websell

Oh, poor you. Ginger-lyn. I've had times like this when everything can go
wrong does. Sometimes it seems like nothing will ever go right again, but
eventually it does. Keep that in your mind.
I will ask for you to be blessed by what I believe in, (it works even if you
don't) so I hope this helps.

Tweed