Boo has a breast lump

Old July 9th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Boo has a breast lump

This is our tuxedo girl, age 13, hyperthyroid treated with Tapazole, and
arhythmia with propanolol. She was obese and age 5 when we got her, I got
her down to a good weight over a year's time a few years ago.

I picked her up this afternoon and felt it, looked closely (that went over
big, lol!) and it is a very round, symetrical, hard ball maybe 1/2 an inch
from her nipple. It feels big to me, baby-pea size, that is pretty big on a
little cat. It was NOT there a month ago, maybe not even two weeks ago. (We
handle her a lot.) I could not find any other lumps, though I tried until I
feared for my life. (Boo can turn you to dust with a single glare if she
wants. She's never actually done it but I know know she can. She does not
just complain and try to wriggle away, she stiffarms you and stares like,
"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND? TAKE
YOUR NASTY HUMAN HANDS OFF ME. RIGHT NOW!)

I have been reading in the archives about lumps like this, and just like
with humans, it seems they can be cysts, boils, benign or malignant tumors,
or even just infections, like abcesses.

We would appreciate your good thoughts. She sees the vet tomorrow afternoon,
first available appointment. I picked the one she likes the best.

Old July 9th 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot[_2_]

I wouldn't panick just yet. I had a 13 year old who had tons of lumps all
over starting around the age of 8. They were nothing more than fatty cyst.
Even now my 11 year old tom has some fatty bumps.

Celeste

Old July 9th 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Keeping good thoughts for Boo. Hope the lump turns out to be nothing to be
concerned about. Let us know what happens at the vet tomorrow.

S.
---

Old July 9th 08, 06:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to "cybercat" :

snip

We would appreciate your good thoughts. She sees the vet tomorrow
afternoon, first available appointment. I picked the one she likes
the best.

I hope it's nothing to fret over. Good luck, Boo. Keep your head up,
cybercat!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old July 9th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"cybercat" wrote in message
[...]

Mega healing purrs on the way. Take a deep breath and think about all the
benign things it probably is! If it's not *on* the teat, that's a good
sign. Having lost weight myself, and at the age I am, I'm always finding
little lumps all over my body that are nothing but little fatty deposits
that my body hasn't metabolized - I'm sure it could be the same in cats.
Baby pea sized *is* small - most people don't notice things that small on
their cats. So even if it *is* the worst case scenario, you've caught it
very early and there should be a very good chance of just excising it with
follow-up treatment (cats tolerate chemo-therapy *MUCH* better than humans
do).

Again, all our thoughts and prayers are with you and Boo.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 9th 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

You're doing the right thing by seeing the vet right away. Best of
luck to you and Boo!
Old July 9th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Thanks to all who sent good wishes.

The vet did a needle biopsy and said, "the cells are changing." [A nice way
to say "cancer."]

So we will have it out first thing tomorrow morning.

I asked if the vet felt anything else, and she said "No, but when she's out
tomorrow we will have a really good feel and look around to make sure."

The total cost, including today's visit and the surgery tomorrow, for
everyone's reference: $350. They would set up payments if I wanted, but we
have it now.

I had the impression that if I had said, "Well, I'll go home and talk it
over with my husband" as many probably do who never come back, there would
have been a separate charge for today, and other charges that would have
added up to more. So it is good all the way around that we are having it
done right away.

She was so good, she made not one sound when they did the biopsy. I love my
vet. I love that they do tests while you wait, and they praise the kitties
and are very sweet to them. It makes a big difference. (The instant you
touch this cat, even at the vet, she purrs.)

No food after ten tonight, she goes in 7-9 am tomorrow.

Prayers and good wishes fort he little Boo would be much appreciated. She
got lots of goodies as soon as we got home.

Old July 9th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"cybercat" wrote in message
[...]

Prayers, purrs and good wishes coming your way in bucketsful! I'm so sorry
it turned out to be the worse case scenario, but you did catch it early and
there's every reason to hope for the best!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 9th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Jul 9, 3:04*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
Thanks to all who sent good wishes.

The vet did a needle biopsy and said, "the cells are changing." [A nice way
to say "cancer."]

I'm sorry to learn that it's cancer, but you caught it early and are
jumping right on the treatment, which is a very good thing. Best
wishes on her surgery. Let us know how she does.

Rene
Old July 10th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot[_2_]

Sorry to hear that it's really something. It's good that you caught it
early and that it's being removed. I hope everything goes well and the vet
gets it all.

Keep up posted on how Boo's doing
Celeste

"cybercat" wrote in message
[...]

Lump on gum? SoundCat Cat health & behaviour 3 February 5th 06 01:41 PM
Cat has lump [email protected] Cats - misc 0 May 9th 05 04:48 PM
OT Woman Breast Feeds Dog Bev Cat anecdotes 44 November 20th 04 10:31 PM
Yowie "The Lump" SUQKRT Cat anecdotes 6 February 12th 04 09:16 PM
Young FIV cat has breast cancer Patricia Cat health & behaviour 15 November 14th 03 03:19 AM