Scotland becoming an independent country? (very OT)

Old September 18th 14, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Scotland becoming an independent country? (very OT)

Scotland is voting tomorrow to be out of the UK or not.

My personal opinion is that they would stupid to do so. I could have a foot
in both camps, since my father was a Scot and my mother English.

It would take them out of the EU. They won't have a currency unless they
can find 20 billion to shore the pound up that that they still want to use.
England has made it clear that we won't allow them to use the pound if they
go independent.

It's so sad. They are being led by a radical (IMO)

FGS we were fighting the Scots until 300 years ago then we decided we were
better together. So why not now, still?
I am hoping that votes go NO for independence. It seems very close in
polls until now.
The Queen only said - she keeps out of things like this - but when pushed
said "I hope they will consider the future very carefully"

And so do I. It's all very well to have your Scottishness revved up against
England by Alex Salmond but this is irrevocable.
Scots who have moved elsewhere have been polled, 76 per cent say No. They
are not allowed to vote.

I really really hope for a No vote so we can keep Scotland in the UK.
They are voting tomorrow and we'll know by Friday.

Tweed

Old September 18th 14, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

[...]

There has been a rather acrimonious discussion of this in one of my
newsgroups.

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old September 18th 14, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

Unless they are English or Scottish by birth their opinion doesn't matter.
I am hoping that Scotland will say no to being independent.
TV discussion has remained civilised here.

I am half english/half scottish so I see both sides but I think we are far
better together.

Old September 18th 14, 06:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

Those arguing are one or the other. One is a Scot living in England.

Joy

Old September 18th 14, 08:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Scotland is voting tomorrow to be out of the UK or not.
It would take them out of the EU.

Why wouldn't it take England out of the EU, then? England never
joined it either.

England has made it clear that we won't allow them to use the
pound if they go independent.

Has it now. What English government decided this? Did they acquire
one when nobody was looking?

BTW the Channel Islands are not part of the UK and their currencies
are officially par with sterling. So there is a precedent.

It's all very well to have your Scottishness revved up against
England by Alex Salmond but this is irrevocable.

The YES campaign is not against England, it's against the hegemonic
oligarchy of public schoolboys and fatcat managers who run the UK
from London. Unfortunately the parts of England that have suffered
most at their hands haven't been given the chance to dump them, but
we have and it looks like we'll take it.

We have stickers for the YES campaign all over our windows and I've
been wearing a YES badge for months.

Old September 18th 14, 08:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Unless they are English or Scottish by birth their opinion doesn't
matter.

That is not how voting rights are decided. You get to vote if you
normally live in Scotland and are a citizen of the UK, EU or the
Commonwealth. If you don't live in Scotland you have no business
tell its people how to run their country, and if you do live there,
you have every right to a say whether you were born in Glasgow or
Gdansk.

Old September 18th 14, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/18/2014 3:23 AM, Jack Campin wrote:
[...]

Okay, I have no dog in this fight (as we say in the US) but I do have an
opinion. Seems to me Scotland has been trying to break away from
England for centuries. They've not been very successful at it.

My great great great (however many greats) grandfather was captured in
battle against the English along with his son at Bothwell Bridge in 1679
and "transported" (sold) by the English to North America as indentured
servants (read: slaves).

My mother's parents left Scotland and sailed for north America in 1921.
To find a better life. These are facts from my family history.

Scotland has always wanted to be its own country. Why not let them?

Jill Douglas Brown McQuown
Old September 19th 14, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

[...]

~~~~~~~
Congratulations (although I realize that you would not have been able to
vote since you do not live in Scotland). The vote of 55% to 45% was not as
close as many polls predicted.

MaryL

Old September 19th 14, 03:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Scotland is voting tomorrow to be out of the UK or not.
The vote of 55% to 45% was not as close as many polls predicted.

A victory for big business intimidation. The media reported the
whole campaign in terms of their threats to destroy the Scottish
economy if they lost control of the country, and ultimately they
terrorized enough of the electorate to win.

Look who's celebrating. Share prices up for corporations all
over the world that are profiting out of having the UK run by
their cosy network of private-schooled upper-class thugs.

Old September 21st 14, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 15:37:11 +0100, Jack Campin
wrote:
Look who's celebrating. Share prices up for corporations all
over the world that are profiting out of having the UK run by
their cosy network of private-schooled upper-class thugs.

That sounds rather dire, although the most interesting thing I heard in the
news was that the referendum was somehow causing DVD rentals for Braveheart
to skyrocket. Maybe I need to take current events more seriously.

Leaving Scotland Gramby Cat community 0 January 5th 12 02:15 AM
Fanksgiffing in Scotland Gramby Cat community 7 November 15th 11 02:40 AM
Independent animal shelter review Lots42 Cat anecdotes 4 October 13th 11 06:58 AM
Cats are so independent........ Dennis Cat health & behaviour 4 August 11th 08 06:42 AM
Independent food testing? Corey Kaye Cat health & behaviour 3 May 12th 06 11:58 AM