Mom [OT]

Old March 27th 04, 10:02 PM
Cathi

In message ,
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers writes
Like who? Who doesn't love the Geordie accent?

There must be some poor deluded soul somewhere, bonnie lass! ;-)
It's one of my favourites!

Whey thank you pet. Thaat's verry kind like.

Porrs, I mean haawaay the laads, helen s

My bestest friend's little boys are Geordies born and bred (she's
Kentish through and through), and they call her "mam".
--
Cathi
Old March 27th 04, 10:03 PM
Seanette Blaylock

Steve Touchstone had some very interesting
things to say about Mom [OT]:

Course, as we've already heard in this thread, a lot of times the
accent doesn't mean much as you get farther away from "home". Lots of
us 'Merikans can't distinguish accents within GB, heck some can't tell
the difference between someone from NZ, Australia or GB. Don't feel
too bad, some New Yorkers can pinpoint what neighborhood another New
Yorker is from by their accent, while most West Coasters are clueless.

As I discovered fast in tech support, the stereotypical New York
accent is limited to the city. People from elsewhere in the state
don't have that accent [but to me, New Jersey speakers sound very
similar to NYC].

--
"Don't mess with major appliances unless you know what you are doing
(or unless your life insurance policy is up-to-date)." - John, RCFL
Old March 27th 04, 10:03 PM
Cathi

In message ,
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers writes
Except that, as you point out, it's sometimes hip or cool to talk
"down", and some who start out in what might be considered a "lower
class" work hard to lose the accent and talk "up". But, IMHO, that is
universal, not a British thing.

Cue memory dragged from subconcious of a young Nigel Kennedy being in a TV
interview when he was at the err... Yehudi Menhuin Music School? A very posh
young man indeed. You'd never think it these days with his "working class"
accent ;-)

Cheers, helen s

Strangely enough, I was thinking of quoting him as an example too!
--
Cathi
Old March 27th 04, 10:19 PM

Yowie wrote:

I couldn't call my mother anything other than "Mum" despite the
fact I know her full name, and she calls me "Victoria". Everyone
else calls me Vicky.

Except for your online friends, of course...

Joyce
Old March 27th 04, 10:23 PM
Seanette Blaylock

Takayuki had some very interesting things to
say about Mom [OT]:

I have a habit of sometimes calling women "sir". I also call groups
of women "guys", like "Hi guys", and "I'm going out with the guys". I
sometimes get some funny looks. Do you suppose that's okay?

I wouldn't enjoy being called "sir". Would you enjoy being called
"ma'am" or some other feminine form of address? Same thing, IMO. If
you know the person's gender, addressing him/her by a title used for
the other gender borders on insult, I think [by saying that person is
in your opinion more a member of the opposite gender to his/her own].

Old March 27th 04, 10:27 PM

jmcquown wrote:

Woman from the Southern U.S. is sitting in an airport next to a woman from
NYC. The Southern woman attempts to strike up a conversation by asking,
"So, where are you from?" The woman from NYC replies snootily, "I am FROM
where they don't end a sentence with a preposition." The Southern woman
thinks about this for a minute, then says, "Okay, where you from, bitch?"

That is an excellent joke, thanks! Definitely a keeper.

Joyce
Old March 27th 04, 10:33 PM
John F. Eldredge

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old March 27th 04, 10:42 PM
John F. Eldredge

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old March 27th 04, 10:48 PM

Kreisleriana wrote:

Kids imitate anything they see on TV. They don't think too hard about
it-- they just think if it's on TV, it's cool.

Well, yeah. But I was just wondering what the appeal was about cockney-
speaking Londoners, to kids from Glasgow. There's probably a cultural
history there that I'm not aware of, being from over here.

Joyce
Old March 27th 04, 10:53 PM

Kreisleriana wrote:

An' th' infamous glo--al stop (glottal stop).

LOL!

Some people use that here, too, eg, "I ain't gi'in (getting) any younger."

Joyce