Early age neutering?

Old August 29th 03, 01:49 PM
Nadine

Default Early age neutering?

A very good friend of mine who has taken over running our local
shelter decided to try EAN (?). She asked me what I thought of it and
since I have had no personal experience with it (my vet/boss doesn't
believe in it) I told her what I had heard from people in these groups.
Some here have said it's fine and even easier on the animals. So far
only one vet (new school) in our area will agree to perform the surgery
at such a young age. Our local spay/neuter clinic won't even do it
until the animal is 5 months old. Of the few that have been done so far
more then half have had complications, one family has spent close to
$400.00 so far trying to treat a vaginal infection and the dog still has
a greenish discharge (they live out of state and I get updates from her
mother, who is a client of ours). Others (local people) have had to
treat for urinary tract infections/problems and vaginal infections. So
needless to say she is thinking about stopping it.
My question is do you think it's the surgery being done so young or
possibly the vet doing something wrong? I don't personally know this
vet as they are new to our area. Any opinions/experiences would be
appreciated. TIA

Nadine

Old August 29th 03, 06:20 PM
Governor George Liquor

"Nadine" wrote in message
A very good friend of mine who has taken over running our local
shelter decided to try EAN (?). She asked me what I thought of it and
since I have had no personal experience with it (my vet/boss doesn't
believe in it) I told her what I had heard from people in these groups.
Some here have said it's fine and even easier on the animals.

The younger of my two cats, Rizzo, was neutered at about ten weeks. (He was
originally adopted by another family who returned him to the shelter because
their dog didn't like him!). He's very healthy (the vet's words, not my own
wishful thinking), very happy, and I can't see where it's afftected him
negatively in any way. He's very active and gets along famously with my
other cat, Jack. It certainly hasn't impacted his growth, which is
explosive. He's just about six months old now, and is getting to be quite
the big galoot.

The local animal shelter does it routinely, and having now met numerous
people who've adopted cats from there, I'd say if anything they're
uncommonly healthy.

Old August 29th 03, 09:37 PM
whayface

On 29 Aug 2003 12:20:27 -0700, (-L.) wrote:

[...]

The high-volume feline specialty vet I worked for routinely did 20-40
EAN surgeries per day - our only requirement was that the animal be 2
lbs or heavier. Never had any association with UTIs, or anything
else, for that matter.

My vet will not slay (SP?) or neuter until kittens are at least 4
pounds.

http://www.ameritech.net/users/lestark/my-babies.htm

Old August 30th 03, 05:17 AM
Phil P.

"Nadine" wrote in message
A very good friend of mine who has taken over running our local
shelter decided to try EAN (?). She asked me what I thought of it and
since I have had no personal experience with it (my vet/boss doesn't
believe in it) I told her what I had heard from people in these groups.
Some here have said it's fine and even easier on the animals.

Absolutely! Young kittens have less abdominal fat and muscle to cut through
which means less tissue trauma, shorter operative time and quicker healing.
The smaller blood vessels allow for precise hemostasis - with virtually no
bleeding - which also and shortens operative time.

Here's a video - you'll see what I mean:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Early_Age_Spay-1.wmv

[...]

All our kittens are neutered between 10 and 12 weeks - providing they're
healthy. Not a one complication as long as the proper precautions and
protocols are followed.

All the myths about complications from EAN have been debunked. A lot of
vets still question EAN because of they're unfamiliar with surgery and
anesthesia on pediatric animals. EAN wasn't taught in vet schools until
recently.

Phil.

Old August 30th 03, 12:23 PM
Nadine

Thanks to every one who responded. It would seem from your answers that
the problems may be being caused from the surgery being done improperly
and not age related. We will try again to find another vet in our area
that is willing to do EAN. The one who is performing them now is doing
it at 8/9 weeks, maybe we'll start waiting until they are at least 12
weeks old and see if that decreases the problems. I'm not sure if they
are waiting until they are 2 pounds or not, I'll have to double check
that. Thanks again.

Nadine

Old August 31st 03, 08:51 PM
Calvin Rice

I had my first male cat neutered at eight months. But I suspected that he
had started to 'spray' mark territory shortly before he was neutered, so I
had my second male cat neutered at six months. The Vet said that he does not
like to do it before six months because of the dangers of the aenesthetic
when administered at an earlier age. So unless I hear or read that issue
directly, clearly, and convincingly addressed, I will continue to go by the
six month rule in the future. After all, why subject a tiny kitten to
surgery and aenesthetic any sooner than necessary?

-cr