Can cats see ghosts or spirits - I think mine might be, but am unsure

Old May 8th 09, 03:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Can cats see ghosts or spirits - I think mine might be, but am unsure

Hello everyone, I have an 18 year old cat named Enson and she is doing
some odd somethings which I would like some feedback on.

Her usual routine each night is to jump up next to my husband on the
couch and curl up next to him. Lately (past 6 weeks or so) something
appears to be startling her from her deep sleep, she makes an almighty
leap, jumps off the couch and runs away from the couch or jumps onto
the coffee table in fright. It always gives us such a fright and has
happened about 5 times now.

She then slowly walks to the couch and jumps up back on the couch, but
is in high alert mode.

Another time she was looking up at me whilst I was sitting on the
couch and her eyes went large again and she started backing up in
fright - she was looking at something just above my head.

Do you believe that cats can see ghosts or spirits of some sort? My
mind is open to these things.

Appreciate any thoughts,
SAPH.
Old May 8th 09, 11:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed (5/7/2009 10:56 PM):
[...]

Well, I do, but some alternate explanations:

1) She could have some sort of sudden pain that wakes her up from a
deep sleep.

2) She's playing - was she in "halloween cat" mode when she was backing
up staring near you? Meep does that, she's not always looking straight
at me.

3) At 18 years, senility or dementia cannot be ruled out without a vet
visit.

Changes in behavior from an older cat warrant a vet visit; it's probably
not spirits for the simple reason that it just started. If you had a
ghost problem of some sort, it'd have been there when you moved into the
place, unless -perhaps- a very close family member has died.

When I was a teenager, my dog died and was buried in the back yard. At
the time I did not believe in ghosts. I was crying inconsolably, I was
incredibly close to her and she'd died young - 5 years old. I'm
convinced her spirit jumped through my window that first night, and -
even though she was never allowed by my parents to do this - she laid
down at the end of my bed, I could actually *see* a slight indent appear
there. She stayed until I wasn't sobbing and had a chance to say
goodbye. Then the depression disappeared, I felt her leave, and never
"saw" her again.

jmc

Old May 8th 09, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

wrote in news:d7e768ed-5ea9-4b1c-961c-b2d16386fb53
@c18g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

[...]

Didn't they called those 'greeblings' here? Or was that another group? I
just ignore such rare behavior. They see something I don't, evidently.

Ken

Old May 8th 09, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Matthew exclaimed (5/8/2009 12:07 PM):
could also be hyperthyroidism that can cause animals to hallucinate

Really? I'm wondering how someone can know for sure...do humans with
hyperthyroidism hallucinate too?

I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious how this conclusion was come to.

jmc
Old May 8th 09, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

it is part of the disease phantom has it he was seeing thing and was going
nuts trying to attack nothing one night he went into a frantic I call it
kill mode when I separated him after a emergency visit to the vet he
was fine but once he came into the rest of the house he was attacking
chairs the other cats the wall at it was like he was after something

Old May 10th 09, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gloria

Default Can cats see ghosts or spirits - I think mine might be, but am...

I think you should take the cat to a vet......it might have something
wrong, or getting dementia. The vet may be able to help.

Old May 10th 09, 03:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Matthew exclaimed (5/8/2009 4:56 PM):

"jmc" wrote in message
Suddenly, without warning, Matthew exclaimed (5/8/2009 12:07 PM):
could also be hyperthyroidism that can cause animals to hallucinate

Really? I'm wondering how someone can know for sure...do humans with
hyperthyroidism hallucinate too?

I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious how this conclusion was come to.

jmc

That sounds moderately scary. I wonder what he was seeing?

jmc
Old May 10th 09, 07:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"jmc" wrote in message
Suddenly, without warning, Matthew exclaimed (5/8/2009 12:07 PM):
could also be hyperthyroidism that can cause animals to hallucinate

Really? I'm wondering how someone can know for sure...do humans with
hyperthyroidism hallucinate too?

I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious how this conclusion was come to.

jmc

That sounds moderately scary. I wonder what he was seeing?

jmc

the way he was acting and the war wounds I got trying to help him. I DON'T
WANT TO KNOW