What To Do About Mosey?!!

Old December 27th 09, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla `=^..^=`[_2_]

Default What To Do About Mosey?!!

Mosey is going on 8, and last week, Wed, IIRC, he managed to escape into the
Out.
He's never shown much interest until I started feeding the strays. Hmm,
anyway, I noticed he went missing about 4 hours later, he'd shown up for his
supper, and then went out when DH got back, after dark, from doing some
grocery shopping.
I'd been busy fending off the other kitties, who also wanted out, and
succeeded with that, but sneaky Mosey managed to dash out without my
noticing.
After about 3 hours, I asked DH if he'd seen Mosey (aka FuzzFace), and he
said "Nope". so I looked all over the house with my flashlight, opened the
patio door, called FuzzFace's/Mosey name, nothing. I really started to pray
then...I opened the front door, and the heavy screen door, called
"Moseeeeeeey" and the little stinker came running up the front steps, gave
me a 'neener neener' look, tried to dash off again, but I was faster and
grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and hauled him back into the house,
where he got a good scolding. Pookie and Sqweex gave him the cold shoulder
along with some hissing and growling for a couple of days.
Boy did he have some stories to tell. Yeah...riiiiiiight, like I'm gonna
'let' him out again, as he's been asking.
I keep telling him how the 'out' is bad for him and why, and
he just grumbles, and sulks off.
Now we have to be really careful, when we open the doors,
that he doesn't ziiiiip out again.
I'm still pooped, but peace among the kitties has been restored...for now.
Love
Kyla

Old December 27th 09, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Kyla `=^..^=`" wrote in message
[...]

I know its hard to resist, but if he gets out again, do not give him
a hard time when he finally comes back in.

I go through that with Molly. By the time I get her in some nights
I'd like to wring her silly little neck, but have to act well and
truly delighted to see her. Of course I am, but it isn't always the
initial reaction.

Jo

Old December 27th 09, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Dec 27, 3:05*pm, "Kyla `=^..^=`" wrote:
[...]

It's actually better, although difficult, _not_ to scold a cat that
gets out when you get him back. He connects scolding with being _back_
and that is counter-productive. None of our current lot would go out
if there were mousecickles hanging from the bushes but I've dealt with
it before and keeping the cat _in_ is usually easier than trying to
teach him not to want to go out.

--
Will in New Haven
Old December 27th 09, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla `=^..^=`[_2_]

I know its hard to resist, but if he gets out again, do not give him
a hard time when he finally comes back in.
I go through that with Molly. By the time I get her in some nights
I'd like to wring her silly little neck, but have to act well and
truly delighted to see her. Of course I am, but it isn't always the
initial reaction.
Jo

"Will in New Haven"
It's actually better, although difficult, _not_ to scold a cat that
gets out when you get him back. He connects scolding with being _back_
and that is counter-productive. None of our current lot would go out
if there were mousecickles hanging from the bushes but I've dealt with
it before and keeping the cat _in_ is usually easier than trying to
teach him not to want to go out.

You're both right...thanks. I was just so mad at him for going out, and I
did scold him, but I also had a good talk with him and told him why the Out
was bad for him, and I have no clue whether it's sunk in, he is still
wanting out, yes he is 'fixed', and I don't know why he's doing this.
Cats can drive us nuts. IF we let them...
riiiiiiiight,
Thanks much for the advice.
Love
Kyla

--
Will in New Haven

Old December 27th 09, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_7_]

"Kyla `=^..^=`" wrote in
:

[...]

When my previous indoor kitties escaped, I always made it worth their while
to let me catch them by giving them lots and lots of love and fussing. It
has to be a nice event for them, you don't want them afraid of you the next
time it happens.

Bobble

Old December 27th 09, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_7_]

"Kyla `=^..^=`" wrote in
:

[...]

I doubt it - their English isn't that good!

he is still wanting out, yes he is 'fixed', and I don't know why he's
doing this.

Because the outdoors is great to him, that's all. It has nothing to do
with being fixed. They just love to be out. Bobble

Old December 28th 09, 12:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla `=^..^=`[_2_]

When my previous indoor kitties escaped, I always made it worth their
while
to let me catch them by giving them lots and lots of love and fussing. It
has to be a nice event for them, you don't want them afraid of you the
next
time it happens.

Bobble

That is so funny...and you're right. IF the little stinker does escape
again, I will take your advice, for sure
Thank you so much...
Love
Kyla

Old December 28th 09, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla `=^..^=`[_2_]

"Bobble" wrote in message
"Kyla `=^..^=`" wrote in
:

[...]

LOL Will...ya think??

he is still wanting out, yes he is 'fixed', and I don't know why he's
doing this.

Because the outdoors is great to him, that's all. It has nothing to do
with being fixed. They just love to be out. Bobble

Yeah, Bobble, you're right about that too. But it's the middle of winter,
and rainy and windy, no snow, but....
I have got to stop driving myself crazy......short drive.
I like to be 'out' too, but my knees are being way too snarky *mad face*
Gee, I get to go 'out' to my TED on Tues for another blood draw..
whoopee dee doo...

Cats can drive us nuts. IF we let them...
riiiiiiiight,

Thanks much for the advice, again....
Love
Kyla

--
Will in New Haven

Old December 28th 09, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Kyla `=^..^=`" wrote in message

[...]

Shmogg was an indoor only cat. Occasionally he'd get out, but usually it was
because I'd left a door open too long and his curiousity got the better of
him. IBKFergus had no interest at all in the Out and totally ignored open
windows and doors. Suki is like Shmogg in that she'll eventually wander out
if a door is open long enough, but doesn't dive for the door the second its
open. Pickle is now a mostly indoor, sometimes outdoor cat. He doesn't make
a desperate attempt to escape at every opportunity, but does let us know
when he wants out - and when he wants back in. Shadow was the consummate
escape artist - she'd dash out of nowhere to lunge desperately at any open
door. And a few weeks ago I discovered that she'd made a very clever and
almost unnoticable rip in the toilet flyscreen so she could go out when she
felt like it, since the toilet window is almost always left open (explains
why I often couldn't find her!). The difference between the two cats I've
had that have been interested in the Out is that Shadow clearly wanted to be
Somewhere Else and had to be chased down and/or tricked back into the house
whereas Pickle knows this is home and comes back when either a) he feels
like it or b) when he's called. Shadow would howl the place down and
eliminate by the door if she wanted out and we wouldn't let her out, whereas
Pickle realises within a few minutes of attracting our attention that its
not going to happen at that point and goes and does something else, because
he knows he'll be allowed out sooner or later.

My advice, for what little its worth, is that if it is safe for Mosey to go
outside, and he gets alot of pleasure out of it, and he'll make desperate
(and dangerous) excape attempts at every opportunity, then a few hours of
Out stimulation every so often might make him a happier and more content
kitty. If you can train him to come when called (even if it is the sound of
the kibble box shaking) the more the better. The other cats may or may not
notice. Just be very very good at flea treatments and worming.

Letting Pickle into the Out certainly decreased the tension between him &
Shadow whilst she was here.

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old December 28th 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmmee

chester and tiger and OEJ show a big interest in the out, the rest either
don't show interest or like trudi think the out is evil so no problems
there, being as careful as possible is all you can do, Lee

--
Have a great day