Dry-Food amounts help needed---NO CYBERCAT COMMENTS WANTED OR NEEDED!

Old August 6th 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

Default Dry-Food amounts help needed---NO CYBERCAT COMMENTS WANTED OR NEEDED!

"cshenk" wrote in message
"LauraM" wrote

I don't really measure it here myself, but I note about 1/4 cup every

4
days.

I hope you're not saying you leave dry food in the bowl for 4 days and
just
add more when the bowl gets low.

Maybe he meant every four hours??

She and it's 1/4 or so cup dry added every 4 days. I wet feed the cat and
this is just a side noshe. It's no worse dry in the bag than it is in the
bowl..

That's ridiculous-- in addition to being utterly disgusting. Cheryl hit the
nail right on the head with her explanation. (I wonder where she heard
it...)

You should fill the bowl with only enough food for *one* day. Whatever
isn't eaten at the end of the day should be *thrown out* and the bowl should
be washed before adding fresh food. That's just basic hygiene.

Old August 6th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

On Aug 5, 8:06*pm, "Phil P." wrote:

[...]

Eghads....I can't believe that the bowl is not cleaned every day and
new food put in there. Yipes!
Old August 6th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"LauraM" wrote in message
On Aug 5, 8:06 pm, "Phil P." wrote:
"cshenk" wrote in message

[...]

As if that isn't gross enough- she said she *adds* 1/4 cup every 4 days.
That means she keeps pouring fresh food on top contaminated food every 4
days- which means the dry food at the bottom of the bowl has been there for
weeks- or months- or for who knows how long! How disgusting is that? I
really feel sorry for her cats- not to mention her dinner guests. She should
probably give her dinner guests penicillin pills instead of after dinner
mints!

Old August 6th 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"cshenk" wrote in message
"LauraM" wrote

I don't really measure it here myself, but I note about 1/4 cup every 4
days.

I hope you're not saying you leave dry food in the bowl for 4 days and
just
add more when the bowl gets low.

Maybe he meant every four hours??

She and it's 1/4 or so cup dry added every 4 days. I wet feed the cat and
this is just a side noshe. It's no worse dry in the bag than it is in the
bowl..

I have known others who did this. It really isn't a good idea. I know how
you're thinking ... it's like a bag of chips on the sideboard. But the thing
is, it really isn't. It might be if we stuck our heads in the back and
slobbered on every other chip every day.

Old August 6th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Phil P." wrote in message

"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

We have *very* well fed squirrels - they get any SD dry that the cats don't
eat (they get about 1/2 cup for the 5 of them per day - the rest of their
diet is canned).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 6th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Default Dry-Food amounts help needed---NO CYBERCAT COMMENTS WANTED ORN...

Since I prefer my cats to eat mostly canned, I give a "sample" of dry
Wellness at noon and bedtime as a treat. What I put down is gone in
five minutes. If there was any left I would throw it away.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old August 6th 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

On Aug 6, 7:40*am, "Phil P." wrote:
"LauraM" wrote in message

On Aug 5, 8:06 pm, "Phil P." wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message

[...]

mints!- Hide quoted text -

Oh god...I'm cracking up here about the after dinner minuts.
Old August 6th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl[_4_]

"cshenk" wrote in message

She and it's 1/4 or so cup dry added every 4 days. I wet feed the cat
and
this is just a side noshe. It's no worse dry in the bag than it is in
the
bowl..

That's ridiculous-- in addition to being utterly disgusting. Cheryl hit
the
nail right on the head with her explanation. (I wonder where she heard
it...)

I read that from you, Phil.

Old August 7th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"jmc" wrote
cshenk exclaimed

Try an experiment. Divide that 1/4 cup. Put 1/8 cup out. After 24
hours, measure what's left, then dump it and put out the other 1/8 cup. I
bet you'll find they'll eat more of that fresher 1/4 cup in two days than
they did the progressively staler stuff in 4.

Perhaps but the idea is to have her go for the wet food which is better for
her, but have a side provision of 'munchies' or somethng to cover if she
decides the wet food of the day didnt suit.

Daisy was raised as far as we can tell, totally on dry food. She gets upset
then will overeat immediately on next filling if the bowl gets totally
empty. (fear of loss of food from when she was abandoned we think).

She knows the munchie bowl always has a little bit in it this way and self
moderates her eating. She is a little overweight and losing slowly.

I'll expand a little. I never totally wet fed a cat before. I've also had
few that were overweight and never one who was totally dry fed. From the
last several years (I was overseas) the advice shifted a bit and wet seems
best. I took to swapping Daisy slowly and asked her vet for advice on how
it might best be done (I have a really Great vet). Anyways, she matched up
fairly closely to what people here say on how to go about it.

2 wet feedings a day in 12 hour intervals, both about 2.5-3oz for her size.
Watch carefully for what she 'likes' and expect her to not want the same
brand or type every day. (Go figure, yet another cat who cant stand tuna!).
Provide a smaller amount of a *quality* dry and over time, trim that down as
you note the bowl of dry gets left.

In Daisy's case, she gets a tartar control dry just now. Slated for a teeth
cleaning as she's got some bad buildup at the back teeth.

I found out over time, if i let the dry food get empty for more than a few
hours, she gets almost feral in some aspects and then will gorge when I fill
it. If I keep it with a little bit in there at all times, she doesnt do
that. Because it's quite variable in how much she may use of it, I check
daily now and add every 2-3 days about 1/8 cup? Seems she eats about 1/4
cup every 4 days or so. This generally can also be tracked to when she
ignores the wet food of the day. I'm still finding out what she actually
likes and some things she just leaves behind. Tuna or anything with tuna of
cat grade, is untouchable ;-) . If Don feeds her that (Hubby can be
stubborn and insists on getting it at times), she will noshe dry til I get
home and throw out the tuna or take it back and exchange it for something
wet she will eat (and she eats almost anything else).

Old August 7th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Phil P." wrote

As if that isn't gross enough- she said she *adds* 1/4 cup every 4 days.
That means she keeps pouring fresh food on top contaminated food every 4
days- which means the dry food at the bottom of the bowl has been there
for
weeks- or months- or for who knows how long! How disgusting is that? I
really feel sorry for her cats- not to mention her dinner guests. She
should
probably give her dinner guests penicillin pills instead of after dinner
mints!

Good lord but you can carry on! You've made all the scenario up in your
head without bothering to ask.

Daisy has 2 bowls. as one is emptied, the other one comes out and the
trailing dry kibble is thrown out and a fresh bowl is used while the other
gets washed. I may add a little between days of about 1/8 cup or so, but it
is not a huge pileup of food left out for 'weeks or months'.