How do you like *this* collector?

Old March 29th 04, 08:22 PM
Kreisleriana

Default How do you like *this* collector?

We've discussed animal collectors before-- how about this?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=817&e=11&u=/ap/glut_of_goats

They *are* quite lovable animals, but not in the living room.

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)
Old March 30th 04, 02:13 AM
Mischief

Eeeewwwww!! That has to smell SOOOOO nasty!

I go to Pierce college and they have a farm there. I work mostly with
the pigs and goats.I can totally understand the situation, cause when
you get attached to the animals, you don't want them to go to the meat
market. I feel bad that Sandy, one of the baby goats could become
dinner for someone. But at the same time, how could someone live in
those conditions?

There are three people that are hired to work on the farm, and the
rest is done by the students. There's so much to do, that the goat
pens hardly get cleaned out at all. They get their hay, and the
remainder that doesn't get eaten just lays on the ground. The goats
go to the bathroom wherever they stand, and then next feeding occurs,
and more hay gets on the ground. So in a sense the goats walk on this
giant compost heap. We're having a Farm Walk in April where the
public can come and see the animals. I've told the farmworkers that
we need to clean out the goat pens, and he always says "I'll get
around to it."
So last Friday I decided to take matters into my own hands. I got a
wheelbarrow, a rake and a shovel and started picking up all the stinky
hay on the ground.

I've done about 12x6 foot section of the pen and i'm not even half
done. The hay was two inches deep by the entrance, and twelve inches
where I stopped. So there's all the hay, and then it drops straight
down to the ground. Every time the goats pee the ammonia trickles to
the bottom of the stack, so the deeper you go, the stronger the smell
gets. Last Saturday I was so excited, because I finally hit the
concrete bottom.

My friends say I should be done in a few weeks. I wear a mask because
the smell is quite powerful. There were so many ammonia fumes in the
air, I was afraid my hair was going to get lighter. And that's because
this pen hasn't been cleaned in about a year. I can't imagine what
this guy's house and yard must smell like. Eeeewwww!

I'm hoping that one of the staff members will get the hint and find
the time to come over with the bulldozer and clean the damn pens out
before we open the farm to the public.

Kristi
Old March 30th 04, 02:19 PM
Kreisleriana

On 29 Mar 2004 17:13:27 -0800, (Mischief)
yodeled:

[...]

*******s. I'm sorry, this makes me mad. I don't know of any
creatures that *want* to live in their own waste.

[...]

Screw the public, it should be done all the time. You are a hero to
do it alone.

Theresa
alt.tv.frasier FAQ:
http://www.im-listening.net/FAQ/

Old March 30th 04, 02:29 PM
Marina

"Kreisleriana" wrote

Screw the public, it should be done all the time. You are a hero to
do it alone.

I agree.

--
Marina
Old March 30th 04, 09:52 PM
polonca12000

Thank you so much for doing this!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Mischief" wrote in message
m...
snip

Old March 31st 04, 02:23 AM
Mischief

"Marina" wrote in message ...
"Kreisleriana" wrote

Screw the public, it should be done all the time. You are a hero to
do it alone.

I agree.

Thanks. It could conceivably be done everyday, but only if we had the
staff. But who wants to work on a farm for a community college? We
only have a handful of students like me working on the farm. Other
students are too busy with jobs or other classes or just don't want to
work with farm animals. I ended up doing all this work because I got
sick and tired of everything being done last minute. And if I don't
do it, who will? If this was UC Davis, this never would have gotten
this bad. But since there's only three guys working the whole farm,
there's too much to be done and too little people.

I finally managed to get Russ to come in with the bulldozer and take
care of that pen on Thursday. We're putting in a pregnant cow that's
due to give birth soon. I'm going to help milk her. And Russ
plans to tackle the other two pens later next week. Yeah!

When the pens get all cleaned out, I'm going to try to get some of the
students to help me keep it clean.

Kristi
Old March 31st 04, 05:02 AM
LOL

"Marina" wrote in message ...
"Kreisleriana" wrote

Screw the public, it should be done all the time. You are a hero to
do it alone.

I agree.

Ditto post here. I hope you do get some help.

------
Krista
Old March 31st 04, 05:15 AM
Marina

"Mischief" wrote

[...]

You're doing a great job, and glad to hear you've got at least some help.
Maybe you've started a new trend around there? Thank you for making the
effort. Those animals deserve it.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki