HELP!! I had my 4 month old kittens spayed

Old November 21st 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AmandaWV4

Default HELP!! I had my 4 month old kittens spayed

I had my 4 month old kitten spayed on Thursday. I haven't had a new kitty in
a while. We lost our cat of 10 years in Sept. Anyway I always thought that
6 months was the age to "fix" kittens. But they say you can do it earlier as
per 3 different vets. So I figured they knew what they were talking about.
Maybe 4 months is an okay age. They are my BABIES you know. Anyway I had
them spayed on Thursday morning. I adopted them from the pound and they use
their vet. Seemed like a great vet. Well Sugar came home with 7 STAPLES and
Mikey seemed to have no stitches, nothing, maybe glued together? Anyway it
is now Monday and they are SO lethargic but IF I put water and food in front
of them they eat and drink (a little). When I got home today I called the
vet and they didn't answer so I called 2 different emergency vets and they
both said this is NOT normal but if they are eating and drinking then maybe I
should just wait to see the vet tomorrow. I just feel TERRIBLE! I have a
siamese I am going to get fixed but I am afraid now. She is 5 months old.
OH PLEASE tell me this has happened to someone else. I am SOOOOOO worried.
Why are my babies suffering? I feel like a monster. I have 3 dogs all
spayed and they NEVER acted like this and my older cat whom passed never
acted in this manner. HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Amanda

Old November 21st 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

I've never had a cat still be lethargic this long after a spay/neuter. They
usually are pretty much back to themselves after 2 days max. The boys are
usually fine as soon as the anesthesia wears off.

I'd get them back to see a vet.

Old November 21st 06, 08:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

AmandaWV4 wrote:

I had my 4 month old kitten spayed on Thursday. I haven't had a new kitty in
a while. We lost our cat of 10 years in Sept. Anyway I always thought that
6 months was the age to "fix" kittens. But they say you can do it earlier as
per 3 different vets. So I figured they knew what they were talking about.

snip Anyway I had them spayed on Thursday morning.
snip Anyway it is now Monday and they are SO lethargic but IF I put
water and food in front
of them they eat and drink (a little).

Hi Amanda,
my vet has done lots of early spays/neuters, and we've never had an
issue. Females do have surtures, and the lenth of the surture/number of
stitches depends on the vet. Males usually do not have surtures as the
incision is so small and will heal on it's own.
Your kittens should have recovered by now, so I would go and see a vet.
Good news is they are eating and drinking, so I think you can wait till
tomorrow morning instead of seeing an emergency vet, but this is your
ultimate call. There could be two reasons they are not feeling well -
cheaper anesthetics which shelters often have to use for cost reasons
sometimes make animals feel under the weather for considerably longer.
Or they could have an infection and need antibiotics. Don't panic,
response it usually really fast.
Good luck,
Petra

Old November 21st 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

I got my Pickles at a shelter at 8 weeks old. I was shocked that they had
already spayed her at that age. She was hyperactive but had some
complication from the spaying. I took her to my vet and she recovered
fully. So, I don't think you need to feel you took the kittens in too early
for spaying but I agree something is wrong and either the vet should fix it
or go to another vet.

Good luck with them,
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Old November 22nd 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AmandaWV4 via CatKB.com

OK so I called the "vet" that did the spay for the shelter. I have never met
a bunch or ruder people in my life. I called the first thing this morning
and they said the "vet" was in surgery. OK, fair enough. WELL 1pm rolls
around and I call back. They said ok what is wrong and why are you calling?
Are you kidding me? They didn't write my message down. ANY way they said
for me to bring them back in. I said ok fair enough. THEN they said our
office call is 30 and if they need antibiotics it is additional fee. WHAT?!
I have to pay for your mistake? They said how do we know you didn't do
anything. I said IF LOVE makes them sick then I am guilty. The lady HUNG UP
ON ME!!!!!! I called her back and they were so unprofessional. I said I am
worried my babies are going to die and all you are worried about if a fee.
They said when you adopt an animal you have to assume responsibility! Yeah
really? ( I didn't say that out loud) I said if I would have to pay then I
would go to MY own vet instead of you because you are an hour and a half away.
She yelled WELL GO THEN and hung up again! SO I called the shelter to tell
them the caring kind of people they are sending poor kitties and doggies to.
They said they have never had a problem. They said if they call and foot the
bill would I take them. I said absolutely because I want them better! I am
in a full blown cry now. He called them and me back and said can you take
them tomorrow morning. I said I am going to call my vet and see if they can
get them in TODAY and I will call you back. Well I called my vet at 1:30ish
and was in at 3pm. Mikey had a 103.5 temp and Sugar had a 106 temp. My vet
gave them a shot of steroids and antibiotics and gave them meds for home. He
said them being so lethargic was from the fever. I was so thankful that my
vet got them in so fast. I called the shelter and they were very worried
about them. He even apologized for that "vet" and asked me what the bill was
and said he would help me with the bill. My vet said if they aren't getting
any better in 2 days to call them immediately. They are already feeling
better. I am feeling better that they are better. I hope I made sense. LOL
Thank you everyone!

Old November 22nd 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

I'm so glad this is working out.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old November 23rd 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley

AmandaWV4 via CatKB.com wrote:
I called the shelter and they were very worried
about them. He even apologized for that "vet" and asked me what the bill was
and said he would help me with the bill.

Sometimes it really is who you get on the phone. When Fugazi (RB) was
taken ill suddenly we were both on benefits and there's this place
called the PDSA which helps provide vet care for people on low incomes.
(annoyingly it's 5 minutes walk from our house and now we don't
qualify- we'd pay regular vet prices to them for the sheer
convienience) and we ran into a receptionist who insisted WE had to get
proof we were getting benefits (In the form of a written letter as we
both got our benefit money paid into our banks, which could have taken
several days) before the PDSA would see her. In the end, Dave got an
appointment for 2 says away on the understanding that one of us would
sort the paperwork out or she wouldn't be seen...

Luckily we had a small overdraft so we used that to take her to a
private vet where sadly nothing could be done . She wasn't suffering
but the vet thought she would be in another day or so

Dave called the PDSA next morning to cancel the appointment since we
thought someone else could use it. Got a different lady who asked if
his reason for cancelling was that she was better and when he
explained that Nope she's had to be PTS and we'd paid for it. She told
us she knew exactly who we'd tallked to and she would mention it to the
vet and said "You should have just brought her in as an emergency and
we'd have worried about your entitlement afterwards"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old November 23rd 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AmandaWV4 via CatKB.com

WELL I had to take my kitten Siamese to the ER vet because she was limping
and now she has URI from my other kitties who got it from the vet the shelter
they went to. I also took Sugar because she just isn't "right". Both of
their temps were 105.1 each. UGGG! My poor babies. This has ended up
costing me 500.00 for thinking I was doing right by rescuing from the pound.
I feel so bad for them. They are on all sorts of meds. I PRAY they get
better soon. OH and the limping they say she strained it. I think "limping
kitten syndrome". It is a symptom of URI. I just feel awful

Old November 24th 06, 08:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Tue 21 Nov 2006 10:25:18p, AmandaWV4 via CatKB.com wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav news:69a6009bcaa1d@uwe:

He
said them being so lethargic was from the fever. I was so
thankful that my vet got them in so fast. I called the shelter
and they were very worried about them. He even apologized for
that "vet" and asked me what the bill was and said he would help
me with the bill. My vet said if they aren't getting any better
in 2 days to call them immediately. They are already feeling
better. I am feeling better that they are better. I hope I
made sense. LOL Thank you everyone!

I'm sorry you had such a hard time with the shelter's vet.
Sometimes there are complications. I wouldn't necessarily put the
responsibility on the vet, but I wouldn't hold myself responsible,
either. Sometimes there are circumstances that arrise, such as a
compromised immune system, or just the cats inability to heal as
quickly as others.

I have a pair of two year olds that came to me at 9 weeks. I
intended to have both of them neutered at about 3 months old, but
my lil girl had a hard time shaking feline herpes, and kept
getting URIs, while her brother shook it sooner, so he was
neutered. My girl went into heat before she was well enough to be
spayed, so she was spayed while in heat, or just after it ended.
Soon after her surgery, she became sick (I only noticed because
she walked funny; she was still very playful, though not as much
as a 5 month old should have been, and couldn't run well, but I'd
always had adult cats, so I didn't pick up on it).

I took her back to our vet and it turned out that she had an
abscess deep inside, where her internal sutures were. She had to
be opened up again, and had a drain installed, and she had to have
it for 2 weeks. She lived in a dog kennel for those two weeks
during my work hours, and when I slept. To keep her safe. She was
very skinny, and I thought for a while I was going to lose her. I
never blamed our vet. It just sometimes happens. I sure do
understand that when you pay an adoption fee for a cat and you
spend so much for vet care soon after, and you feel that the cat
should have been healthy enough to be adopted in the first place.
It's like defective merchandise. Isn't it. There are no
guarentees. These are living beings, and they sometimes come with
illness, and most of the time that is our (humans) doing, because
they have to be placed in conditions (shelters) where illness
breeds. These cats don't go into those shelters in the best of
condition, and they are rarely inoculated, so are at risk. That
doesn't make them any less deserving of a great home. In my
opinion, that makes them more deserving of a great home. I used to
volunteer with a rescue group, and while it never happened to me,
I've seen others that get desensitized to what happens with these
little beings, especially after they have left the system. And for
real, if you can't separate yourself from it, you can only cry a
lot.

I'm happy to read that your cat is recovering.

A couple of pictures of mine while she was so ill after her spay:

With her cone thingie
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shambo...f5.jpg&.src=ph

How skinny she'd gotten
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shambo...82.jpg&.src=ph

Healthy now, almost 2 years later
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shambo...nm=89e7re2.jpg

--
Cheryl
Old November 24th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AmandaWV4 via CatKB.com

I got my kitties in Sept and just had them spayed in Nov. They came to me
not sick. Just flea infested!
I am a dog/cat groomer so I noticed when I adopted them they were covered. I
intentions were to get one kitten but I had to get too. Oh the eyes speak a
million words. So I took them and flea bathed them before I took them home.
I was so excited that I got my kids out of school early. In the car they
were saying this one is mine and this one is his. Oh how sweet and happy
that made me. My 6 year old (super sensitive guy who found my Siamese "gone")
took to both of them and argued with his older brother that they were BOTH
his. LOL. I told them they could each name one. My youngest named "his"
Mikey (boys name but that is ok, it made him happy.) Her full name is
Mikaela. My oldest named his Sugar.
But, when I adopted them they were very healthy only the fleas. I did adopt
another kitty a Prue bread Siamese like my Tyson that passed. It was like a
God send. She was 12 weeks old and I heard that the breeder was going to put
her to sleep because she had a hernia and was "unsellable", so I took her
away from that bad place. I adopted her about 1 week after Mikey and Sugar.
Her name is Spirit. She was also flea infested with ear mites so I took care
of all of that. I have 3 dogs too so I treated everyone with flea meds and
ear mite meds just to be safe. So other than fleas and ear mites they were
very healthy cats and playful I might add. Little kitty teeth hurt. LOL.
Playful as could be. They are really good kittens too. They are super with
my kids i have a 1 year old a 6 and 8 year old. They are great with them.
Although my kids know who to care about animals because they grew/growing up
with animals so they know better. They also have hearts of gold. They are
the type of kids who find a birdie in the summer who has fallen out of the
tree and we all have to try and nurse it. But I honesty feel that they got
sick from the vet/shelter. I had to drop Mikey and Sugar off at the shelter
and they were going to take them to the vet. They said they had a ton of
cats to take that day. All it takes is one sneeze seeing that URI is highly
contagious. I should have insisted I take them. But I thought they knew
what they were doing. They did take an xray of Spirit's (Siamese) leg and
said there was inflammation but no breaks. So they put her on anti
inflammatory meds along with antibiotics and an antihistamine. I think they
are getting better. They are coming around I just feel terrible and feel
like it is my fault they are sick. Thank you everyone who has responded
I am posting some pics of my feline daughters

SUGAR
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...V/100_1599.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...V/100_1457.jpg
MIKEY
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...V/100_1439.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...V/100_1459.jpg
MIKEY AND SUGAR
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...V/100_1451.jpg
SPIRIT or SIMEY (what we call her)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../100_14762.jpg
ALL THREE
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...V/100_1479.jpg
IN LOVING MEMORY OF TYSON (she has passed)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...100_0416-1.jpg

Cheryl wrote:
He
said them being so lethargic was from the fever. I was so

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
[...]

Is feline distemper always fatal in 2 month old kittens? [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 1 November 12th 06 01:19 AM
Amber's kittens Cheryl Cat anecdotes 11 September 19th 06 08:21 PM
Just an update of evidence people Cat man Cat health & behaviour 2 March 11th 05 11:13 PM
Why did all the kittens in one litter die? Artisanwomyn Cat health & behaviour 16 March 1st 04 01:51 PM
Playing with 28 Kittens Bev Cat anecdotes 8 November 26th 03 02:52 AM