how many meals?

Old July 24th 09, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Default how many meals?

How many times a day do you all feed your cats? My cats seem to be less
interested in breakfast but down their dinner with no problem. They get a
5.5 oz can per meal and some dry. They are 6 and 2, very active and have
great check-ups.

Barb

Old July 24th 09, 04:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S

Two meals per day, about 12 hours apart. After 20 minutes or so, I
take away the plates and no food until next meal (though they are
almost always empty). I feed wet (canned and raw), NO dry.
Old July 24th 09, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Calvin

On Jul 24, 11:52*am, Rene S wrote:
Two meals per day, about 12 hours apart. After 20 minutes or so, I
take away the plates and no food until next meal (though they are
almost always empty). I feed wet (canned and raw), NO dry.

Three meals a day (multiple flavors of Fancy Feast) plus
dry treats ('elevensies') just before my bedtime. Also they
(seven cats) have round-the-clock dry food to munch on
whenever they like, plus several water bowls, refreshed
daily. I'm spoiling them? You bet, and we all love it.
Old July 24th 09, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"calvin" wrote in message
On Jul 24, 11:52 am, Rene S wrote:
Two meals per day, about 12 hours apart. After 20 minutes or so, I
take away the plates and no food until next meal (though they are
almost always empty). I feed wet (canned and raw), NO dry.

Three meals a day (multiple flavors of Fancy Feast) plus
dry treats ('elevensies') just before my bedtime. Also they
(seven cats) have round-the-clock dry food to munch on
whenever they like, plus several water bowls, refreshed
daily. I'm spoiling them? You bet, and we all love it.

The problem with dry food is that it isn't "spoiling" them. Cats should not
have carbs. There is a much higher incidence of diabetes and other health
problems in cats that are fed dry food.

Mine get Wellness canned food twice a day, 12 hours apart. They also get
occasional treats, but they are healthy treats that the cats also
love--their favorite is chicken Liv-A-Littles (freeze dried chicken).

MaryL

Old July 24th 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Calvin

On Jul 24, 12:55*pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"calvin" wrote in message
Three meals a day (multiple flavors of Fancy Feast) plus
dry treats ('elevensies') just before my bedtime. *Also they
(seven cats) have round-the-clock dry food to munch on
whenever they like, plus several water bowls, refreshed
daily. *I'm spoiling them? *You bet, and we all love it.

The problem with dry food is that it isn't "spoiling" them. *Cats should not
have carbs. *There is a much higher incidence of diabetes and other health
problems in cats that are fed dry food.

My cats prefer the canned food that they get for meals.
The dry food is for between-meal munchies when they
want something more, especially during the long 12-hour
stretch between supper and breakfast.

What I meant by spoiling them is having three meals
a day plus 'elevensies'.
Old July 24th 09, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

wrote:
"calvin" wrote in message
Three meals a day (multiple flavors of Fancy Feast) plus
dry treats ('elevensies') just before my bedtime. Also they
(seven cats) have round-the-clock dry food to munch on
whenever they like, plus several water bowls, refreshed
daily. I'm spoiling them? You bet, and we all love it.

The problem with dry food is that it isn't "spoiling" them. Cats should
not
have carbs. There is a much higher incidence of diabetes and other health
problems in cats that are fed dry food.

My cats prefer the canned food that they get for meals.
The dry food is for between-meal munchies when they
want something more, especially during the long 12-hour
stretch between supper and breakfast.

What I meant by spoiling them is having three meals
a day plus 'elevensies'.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Could you consider some other treats instead of leaving dry food out? A cat
that munches all day could easily become a overweight. Twice a day is
considered optimum, so it isn't necessary for a cat to munch in-between.

MaryL

Old July 24th 09, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Linda Boucher

Hi
my cat get feed 5 times a day..
plus I give her dry food when I get up at night
to go to the bathroom

Old July 24th 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:56:55 -0400 from Barb :

How many times a day do you all feed your cats? My cats seem to be less
interested in breakfast but down their dinner with no problem. They get a
5.5 oz can per meal and some dry. They are 6 and 2, very active and have
great check-ups.

I feed mine in the morning.

But really it's highly individual. Some like to graze throughout the
day and don't overeat; others either prefer one or two meals or can't
be trusted if the food is constantly available.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old July 24th 09, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chatnoir

wrote:

"calvin" wrote in message
[...]

If you go out of town often, you have little choice but to leave dry
food out!
Old July 24th 09, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

wrote:

"calvin" wrote in message
[...]

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Wrong! I hire a petsitter to come into my house twice a day. She had
fantastic references, and she is just as fantastic as everyone said. I have
used the same petsitter every year for the last six years (sometimes more
than once a year). I would *never* leave my furbabies unattended. It
doesn't matter if food is out, or not--any manner of emergencies could
occur, and they would not be taken care of if there is no one available to
observe and take action.

MaryL

Meals on Wheels Sara Cat anecdotes 0 October 2nd 08 12:20 AM
In Flight Meals jofirey Cat anecdotes 5 March 20th 07 05:00 PM
Meals On Wheels help elderly feed pets Joy Cat anecdotes 0 November 25th 06 02:44 AM
Why does cat whoops after meals.. J.L. via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 9 February 1st 06 03:10 AM
When to change to 2 meals per day? Al Kondo Cat health & behaviour 4 January 26th 04 06:10 AM