Barricading my balcony. Half-funny, half-serious.

Old July 8th 04, 06:57 PM
Mary

"kaeli" wrote in message

Okay, so Rowan, my little *darling* (cough, cough), has decided that she

REALLY wants to be on the balcony.

Kaeli, I wonder if you might secure the balcony by using some sort of mesh
or screening between the bars? Or are you afraid she will jump up and fall
off the railing?

Old July 8th 04, 07:11 PM
Barb

Thieves and worse can enter through a second floor open terrace door so I
would lock it while asleep or out if I were you.

You can get a plastic see through attachment for the screen slider at a pet
or hardware store. It can cover the bottom half leaving the top screen
bare. It has to be screwed onto the slider so a drill and screw driver is
needed.

I was watching the Home and Garden channel and a few times I have seen
people in a rather high up terrace with a cat that apparently was free to go
out there. I was wondering about that.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old July 8th 04, 07:30 PM
kaeli

In article G9dHc.29712$JR4.16705@attbi_s54,
enlightened us with...
I saw at Lowe's once some replacement screening, that they claimed was 'pet
proof'.

We don't have a Lowe's near here that carries that, but you got me
thinking.
I found this. I wonder if I could manage to rescreen my door with it...

http://www.safetyzone.com/product.asp?sid=
7C5GGQCNLN648M0XXK2WWP9SS07L8618&pf%5Fid=148794zz& dept%5Fid=1050

Works in theory...

~kaeli~
Those who get too big for their britches will be exposed in
the end.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old July 8th 04, 07:36 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
Where does she sit when she is on the balcony? On the railing? Would
anything like this work?
www.catfencein.com. I guess no matter what, I would just close the door
when I am not home and keep her in. For more reasons than just keeping her
in actually. Just seems like a better idea.

She sits nice on the "floor" and not on the railing, at least when I see
her, but I just don't like the idea of her out there when I'm not home.
**** happens, you know? It only takes once for her to fall, get scared,
run, and get hit by a car or something. It's not like she can get back
up to home if she falls and I'm not there to rush down and grab her. Or,
god forbid, she jumps on purpose trying to get a bird or squirrel. She's
got all the makings of a great little hunter. If we lived somewhere
where I felt safe to let her go in a backyard, she'd be bringing me all
kinds of nasty dead things, I'm sure. *g*
At least she is used to going on walks and knows where her home is if
she did happen to fall, but still.

Call me paranoid. If I had kids, they'd probably be neurotic. *laughs*

I'm going to check into the idea of "pet proof" screen doors...

Old July 8th 04, 07:37 PM
kaeli

In article , carstan101
@yahoo.comTAKE-OUT-THE-LITTER enlightened us with...

My brother and sister-in-law installed some deer-proof fencing (works so
far!) around their property. It is a type of vinyl that a cat could not
climb, and it is barely visible unless you are standing directly in front of
it. I think you could use something like that to enclose the balcony and
yet not create an unsightly view.

MaryL

I honestly just don't want her out there when I'm gone. Knowing her,
she'd discover sitting on the railing.

I love this idea for a yard, though. If I ever get one, I'm keeping it
in mind.

Old July 8th 04, 08:01 PM
MaryL

"kaeli" wrote in message
In article , carstan101
@yahoo.comTAKE-OUT-THE-LITTER enlightened us with...

My brother and sister-in-law installed some deer-proof fencing (works so
far!) around their property. It is a type of vinyl that a cat could not
climb, and it is barely visible unless you are standing directly in

front of
it. I think you could use something like that to enclose the balcony

and
yet not create an unsightly view.

MaryL

I honestly just don't want her out there when I'm gone. Knowing her,
she'd discover sitting on the railing.

I love this idea for a yard, though. If I ever get one, I'm keeping it
in mind.

~kaeli~

No, I wouldn't want her out there, either, unless you are with her. I had
this idea more as a safety feature, in case she gets out sometime without
your seeing her.

MaryL