HELP!!! My 2 year old is ruining an expensive leather couch

Old January 3rd 05, 07:54 AM
Sherry

There is without a doubt, some asses on this ng that make assinine
statements!

There sure are.

I do admit that I was going to come down on you the leather couch,
but after reading further, your leather couch is really not the main
issue & you actually do have some major ones.

It's a good thing you didn't "come down on" her about her leather couch.
Monique already said in this very thread she would never own one.

First, I hope Eric is well. And yes the statement that "Eric had
better turn out to be "PERMANENTLY worth it" & that it was supposed to
mean "merely wishing that your marriage is happy and lasts forever" is
a crock! The person knew damn well what they were insinuating!

Yes. She was insinuating that relinquishing the commitment that you've made
when you adopt a cat is a serious matter and not a decision to be taken
lightly. The reasons for that decision better be worth it. Period.

Sherry

Old January 3rd 05, 04:26 PM
Mary

"Sherry " wrote in message
[...]

Pretty much, and I was thinking, what if Eric turns out to be an asshole.
Now, now, I know this NEVER happens to any woman who makes
such a sacrifice to a man, but call me a worrier. In the worst case
scenario Monique might wind up sans asshole and Eros. So in that
sense I sure was wishing her marriage was happy and lasted forever
because that was the only way she could ever justify (at least IMO)
abandoning that cat. "I intend for Eric to be permanent" just does
not cut it. Actually, I guess there was a subpoint now that you have
me thinking about it: men come and go but cats are forever!

Old January 4th 05, 05:17 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-03, Mary penned:

Pretty much, and I was thinking, what if Eric turns out to be an asshole.
Now, now, I know this NEVER happens to any woman who makes such a sacrifice
to a man, but call me a worrier. In the worst case scenario Monique might
wind up sans asshole and Eros. So in that sense I sure was wishing her
marriage was happy and lasted forever because that was the only way she
could ever justify (at least IMO) abandoning that cat. "I intend for Eric to
be permanent" just does not cut it. Actually, I guess there was a subpoint
now that you have me thinking about it: men come and go but cats are
forever!

Well, that's fine for you. I wouldn't have married Eric if I didn't think we
could spend the rest of our lives together. Granted, I have no crystal ball,
but then, if you do, please share. We could all use a turn.

It sounds like you've had some really bad experiences with relationships, and
not enough good experiences to counterbalance the bitterness of the awful
ones. I'm sorry for that. I hope that at some point you meet a human who
treats you well, respects you, makes your heart go pitter-patter and your
loins jump, too, and I hope that person can show you that human
relationships can be far more than ships passing in the night.

If I spent my entire life worrying that all my friends and loved ones would
turn into assholes, I would never get to enjoy some of the best things in
life. Sure, it happens, and you try to filter out the obvious ones before
they get too close, but the idea of considering marriage temporary because
someone might at some point have a complete personality transplant is a bit
much.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 4th 05, 06:22 PM
Mary

On 2005-01-03, Mary penned:

[...]

Your ASSumptions know no bounds. If you are not a stupid person,
it would behoove you to stop portraying yourself as one. My comment
to you with regard to men coming and going and cats staying had to do
with the logical fact that a man can do whatever he wants whereas an
indoor-only cat is with us for life unless we choose to let him out. As for
my
past with men, well, that is not something I would splash all over Usenet.
I don't write about my "loins" either. The major point is: it's immaterial
to the
discussion.

If I spent my entire life worrying that all my friends and loved ones

would
turn into assholes, I would never get to enjoy some of the best things in
life. Sure, it happens, and you try to filter out the obvious ones before
they get too close, but the idea of considering marriage temporary because
someone might at some point have a complete personality transplant is a

bit
much.

All still beside the point. Everything I said in the above statement is
true.
You gave up the cat you claim you loved for this man you THINK will be
there forever. I repeat--I hope you are right, but you have no guarantees.

Old January 4th 05, 07:14 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-04, Mary penned:

All still beside the point. Everything I said in the above statement is
true. You gave up the cat you claim you loved for this man you THINK will
be there forever. I repeat--I hope you are right, but you have no
guarantees.

Of course not.

Okay, fine, I give. I gave up the cat I claim I loved for this man I think
will be there forever. You know, I won't even go that far. I'll say, I gave
up this cat for a man I hope will be there forever. I fully recognize that
there are no guarantees in life, in love, or in cat ownership. Eric could
drop dead, and so could Eros. For that matter, so could I, and I wouldn't be
able to take care of my cat(s) anymore, either.

I made my decision, and if nothing else, this piffling argument with you
has made me realize that I am okay with it. If I had it to do over
again, I wouldn't have taken Eros, because I believed the human who told
me she'd take him back if things didn't work out, and that's the real
source of all this anxiety. I would never have adopted Eros without
that "out," because I knew that Oscar might not get along with him.
It's unfortunate, but as you said, there are no guarantees, so I did the
best I could with the situation. I believe I did the right thing, or at
least chose the lesser evil.

I suspect that in balance you're a good person, properly horrified at the idea
that someone would give up a cat, and overall I think that's a better attitude
to take than the opposite. Somehow we got stuck slinging words at each other,
and I don't know about you, but I don't really think we're getting anywhere.
It's a waste of both our times to keep reiterating the same discussion point.

So, thank you for helping me clarify my thoughts on the matter. I know
you don't agree with my priorities, and I suspect you don't respect me
at all, and that's too bad. (The respect thing; of course we can
disagree.) But at least I'm clear in my own conscience.