Stinky's in heat---but she's been spayed!

Old May 5th 05, 10:14 PM
A.Pismo Clam

Default Stinky's in heat---but she's been spayed!

Hello All,

For about a week or more, our all-black kitten [less than one year of
age]has been rubbing on and howling in every room in the house.

We've had to "screen in" the other two cats in their room. Last week,
when Stinky howled and rubbed herself on the hallway carpet, our 7 year
old cat "Spirit" [15 lb.4 oz] spat, growled and fought terribly with
little [6lb. 4oz.] Stinky.

So now until we find a solution, I've built a screen that fits snuggly
into the opening doorway to their rooms. They can see out but cannot
come out. One day, we let Angel and Spirit out; the next day, Stinky has
free roam of the house.

Stinky was pregnant when showed up on our patio [after being dumped on
our property] on Feb 4th. We took her to the vet for all the tests,
which she passsed with flying colors.

When we got her spayed 3 weeks later, the vet told us that she had 5 "in
the oven".

I had thought then when a cat got spayed, all the howling, slithering,
and running around would be a non issue.

I've used the Rescue Remedy flower essence with a small degree of
success; in everyone's water, food and topically in their ears.

Could the more enlightened members of the group please set me straight?

Isn't there something that we can do?

Merci beaucoup!

Alain
Old May 6th 05, 02:35 AM
Phil P.

"A.Pismo Clam" wrote in message

[...]

Sometimes its takes a few weeks for the gonadal hormones to dissipate.
Another possibility is ovarian remnant syndrome. This is caused by sloppy
resectioning of one or both ovaries.

Also, the vet may have dropped of some ovarian tissue into the peritoneal
cavity after excising the ovarian tissue-- this tissue could revascularize
and become functional.

Another possibility, however unlikely, is the possibility is ovarian "rest"
tissue somewhere other than the normal ovarian area. This tissue can also
become functional at almost any time.

If there's no change in her behavior in another week or two, I'd speak to
your vet if I were you. Hopefully, she won't need another surgery-- but if
she does, your vet should not charge you-- Ovarian remnant removal is a
tricky surgery, so, I doubt your vet will suggest it.

Best of luck.

Phil